Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today, I just put my Abarth away for the winter in an underground heated parking lot that does not have power. I want to put a trickle charger on it. I would prefer not to disconnect the battery. Is there a battery powered option? I thought about using an inverter with another car battery but wondering if anybody has an easier solution. I am going to miss driving it till probably next April.
Thanks, Drew

·
Registered
480 Posts
I think what you are referring to is called jumper cables. the reason for a trickle charger is to continuously top off the battery with an inexhaustible source. any sort of a battery supported device will drain in time. perhaps your best bet would be getting a boost box and lugging it to the car to start it after it's slumber, and it needs to be awakened. also it is handy to have when the battery actually dies and you need to drive it to the parts store for replacement of the battery....

·
Registered
413 Posts
Would you be able to safely run a small generator for a few hours there? If you have proper ventilation and security, consider one of the tiny Harbor Freght generators and a battery charger. These are 2stroke and very lightweight with more than enough wattage to run a battery charger. Bonus points for having the generator around for other uses.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I know you said you did not want to disconnect your battery, but that is probably your best solution - remove the battery, take it home and keep it charged while in storage. When you go to retrieve your car, bring the battery with you and reinstall.

Is there a lamp on overhead by chance? You might be able to use a solar charger if there is enough light.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I know you said you did not want to disconnect your battery, but that is probably your best solution - remove the battery, take it home and keep it charged while in storage. When you go to retrieve your car, bring the battery with you and reinstall.

Is there a lamp on overhead by chance? You might be able to use a solar charger if there is enough light.
Thanks Ameridan. Good advice, I will just bring battery home and keep it charged.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts