Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2017 Lusso is coming up on 4 years since I took delivery. Does anyone have any input or personal experience with how long the OEM battery generally last? I haven't had any problems and I maintain the level of water in it. When the battery needs replacing will I need to hook something up to keep power on the systems so nothing needs resetting? I ordered a cable today that hooks into the OBD2 port and after applying a external 12V source it keeps things going while the battery is out. I also ordered a tool to lift the battery out of the car. I'm ready when the time comes. Any input is appreciated.

Bill B.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 spider Abarth: Fia Fiata or Fia-Lotta.
15 Posts
I bought a 2017 last year in August. The battery died in November.
I got a new one from Autozone, and found out that the registered size was wrong. Bring the old one with you so you get the right size.

·
Registered
55 Posts
A lot will depend on the ambient temperature. Very warm or very cold is not good for battery life neither are big temperature fluctuations. In some tropical places you are lucky to get 1 year from a car battery. In more temperate dry climes 10 or even 15 years is sometimes possible.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I bought a battery "lifter" like the one below and found that the battery slipped out of grip whilst lowering it into position on the car, but that was probably my fault for not moving the inlet hose completely out if the way. I just replaced the 10 year old original battery on my son's Fiat Punto, but the original battery on my Jaguar XF "only" lasted 7 years or so. OE batteries seem to last a lot longer than replacements, and replacements sometimes barely last as long as the more limited 3, 4 or 5 year guarantee, in my experience.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hi, interesting new thread....My battery history goes way back to 2 x 6 volts in my MG's, through new batteries that just wouldn't work from day one to sealed cell and my Ford XR3i Cabriolet battery that last 16 yrs, still going when I sold the car...to this current 3 yr old 124 Spider, old style open cell, distilled water filled heavy lump. 13 v (approx) is what it should read when fully charged and because "it is older style" it can take a full discharge and be recharged; Most super duper new style sealed units die once 11.4 v is reached...11.5 v MINIMUM to save is what I am told by a friend, neighbour and electrical boffin. 5/6 years is the average "they say" battery life span, conditions will effect that, like extremes in weather, laboured starting, allowing "our" cell plates to become exposed and buckle (always keep that distilled water ONLY just above the plates minimum and NEVER fill battery with it !
Keeping on a trickle charger when not in use helps maintain battery as does keeping the terminals lightly covered in vaseline and nipped tight. The much discussed here Braille lightweight battery is for TRACK use and does not hold a full charge for daily use has been reported here on more than one occasion. For those interested..in the thread "124 Spider Basic Ownership Rules...some of", the guys here contributed, including recommended UK Exide battery replacement and within the thread a Good USA replacement unit. Cheers
ron

Reactions: pikeman

·
Registered
577 Posts
My 2017 Lusso is coming up on 4 years since I took delivery. Does anyone have any input or personal experience with how long the OEM battery generally last? I haven't had any problems and I maintain the level of water in it. When the battery needs replacing will I need to hook something up to keep power on the systems so nothing needs resetting? I ordered a cable today that hooks into the OBD2 port and after applying a external 12V source it keeps things going while the battery is out. I also ordered a tool to lift the battery out of the car. I'm ready when the time comes. Any input is appreciated.

Bill B.
Hi Bill. My original battery lasted only 3 years and I replaced with the recommended Mopar Stop Start unit. G 6
IMG_20210324_172653.jpg

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Billbonn80, I still have the original battery, bought it in November 2016, and it's still firing up. My battery has gone through several heart attack stages, Also the 124 spider does drain your battery, but you need to charge it when not using it much, I use a 3 A battery minder in when winterizing the Spider and in September which I use it less, I charge it.
If your car will not start, due to battery, charge it. But new battery charger if voltage of battery is less then 9v, it may think it is a 6V battery and will not charge to 12v.
If your battery voltage is less then 4 or 5 v then it won't charge it at all. Unless it's an old battery charger.

Solution, have your car boosted by another car, it will get a 12+ voltage, then your battery will have a 12v and you could charge it.

Maybe I should write a book on the 124 spider charging and battery system, but then looking at how many were built, I will not pay the ink that I will use. LOL

Use the above, your battery will have more life then what you think.

·
Registered
796 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
531 Posts
Like Frank, I’m still running the OEM battery in my Abarth. My car was delivered in Oct. 2016, so it’s going on 4 1/2 years in Texas. The car has been garaged when resting for that entire time. I check the water periodically and so far it is still cranking OK. I’ve noticed that keeping a car indoors tends to make for a longer battery life.

Reactions: CDPond

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
Hi Bill. My original battery lasted only 3 years and I replaced with the recommended Mopar Stop Start unit. G 6 View attachment 84269
That’s good to know!

Is that a sealed battery?

Is it also 35 lbs?

Do you have a Mopar part number for it?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
121 Posts
My car is on the original battery and still going strong with no problems so coming up to 5 years. I guess its helped significantly by the fact that the car is a daily driver, but it is kept outdoors and is subject to temperatures that go as low as -6C in winter (sometimes lower in extreme weather). When the time comes, I'll replace it with a YUASA YBX7027 EFB 65AH CCA600 battery that is stop start compliant and comes with a 4 year warranty. Current price in the UK is £75.99.

·
Registered
242 Posts
That’s good to know!

Is it also 35 lbs?

Thanks in advance.
And does it have enough room for the battery insulation jacket, or did you have to leave that off due space limitations?

Reactions: Aldo

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
152 Posts

Bill B.
I could not find in here my battery post from about a month ago. but here is the data I still had in a word file:

Car Battery replacement info in 2021

Had to replace my car battery today. Here’s what’s involved if you want to avoid the high dealer cost, lack of dealer stock, and need to do the job alone.

Removing the old battery first needs getting the terminals out of the way. The negative terminal is easily tucked under a bit of the metal cowling. The positive terminal needs to be held up out of the way. I did it with a long piece of Velcro strapping. NOTE: Be gentle with that negative terminal. I understand there is a fragile circuit board attached that will disable the car if broken.

Next you need to get the battery out from the cavern it’s sunk into. My battery carrier strap that attaches to the posts was useless. When I picked up the battery, it twisted and jammed against the battery box sides. I had to borrow the kind of carrier that has plates that grip the battery sides and allows the battery to be pulled straight up. The auto parts store lent it to me.

For a replacement I tried 3 auto parts stores, two had no battery listed and didn’t want to look into the matter any further. When I got to AutoZone their computer also said they don’t carry a battery for our cars. However, a helpful young man took the time to work with me and find one that works. They have a “DuraLast” battery part number 121R-DLG that is EXACTLY the same size as our factory battery. It has 640 cold cranking amps. (vs 660). Cost is $169.99 with a 3 year replacement guarantee. The battery also has a built in carry strap, so the special gripper/carrier I needed earlier wasn’t needed for installation.

If you can find the DuraLast battery at another retailer, the part number written on the battery was 35-DLG. Hope this helps someone.

·
Premium Member
2017 Abarth
167 Posts
If you can find the DuraLast battery at another retailer, the part number written on the battery was 35-DLG.
Duralast is AutoZone's house brand. They can also order you Consumer Reports top (99) choice for a group 35, Odyssey Extreme Series 35-PC1400T. I replaced my original battery with it in February, fits great. I don't know if I had overfilled my original (car is 2017 model year, stored winters on a Battery Tender) but I was tired of seeing an occasional bit of moisture on the top of it, and had been disappointed to see the tray's three bolts so corroded the last time I had the battery out--I replaced those with stainless when I replaced the battery. Also just didn't want to press my luck another season on an aging battery.

·
Registered
577 Posts
That’s good to know!

Is it also 35 lbs?

Thanks in advance.
Hi Aldo. I'll dig out the invoice for the part number. I had the option of a non stop start Mopar battery, but Dealer recommended this one due to turbo cooling pump.
Yes, sealed no maintenance.
'kin heavy like the original, but don't know weight. Slightly bigger, so the cover didn't fit.

Off to find that invoice!! G

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Guys can you post the W-L-H of the battery, So when one needs to buy one you must go by the dimensions.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hi Aldo. I'll dig out the invoice for the part number. I had the option of a non stop start Mopar battery, but Dealer recommended this one due to turbo cooling pump.
Yes, sealed no maintenance.
'kin heavy like the original, but don't know weight. Slightly bigger, so the cover didn't fit.

Off to find that invoice!! G
List price was £130.98 before VAT, discounted to £117.89, with UK's 20% VAT that ended up at £141.47

Part number: 10006000628789, most of that number can also be seen on the Battery sticker from my earlier photo.
Hope that helps Aldo, and everyone else?
Cheers. G
IMG_20210506_143145.jpg

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hi Bill. My original battery lasted only 3 years and I replaced with the recommended Mopar Stop Start unit. G 6 View attachment 84269
Hey man, where did you get your officine Abarth plate? I have been after one of them for ages for the front of the cubby but I haven’t seen them anywhere...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts