Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have the E85 tune from Tork,
Some Background story hopefuly someone can give me some insights

I did over rev my motor at the track, 3rd gear to 2nd, went all the way to 8000RPM, but I performed a compression test, with 2-3 cranks ALL 4 cylinderse were holding pressure to 100 PSI which
is good as per Handbook, Also at the sametime I did overheat the engine at the track to about 245F, but quickly cooled down after 1 lap of cooldown lap
No Check Eng. Light or Abnormal Noises heard at the track or later. It was also because of the overheating event I wanted to go E85 because of the cooling factor

--Had a Store Code awhile back for a P1300 which results in either wiring or Camshaft Position Sensor Code

After the fist E85 tune I did have a P0300 Random Misfire, but counts shown it was mainly in #1 and #4, getting new plugs seems to fixed the problem
onm hand where I can hardly feel the misfire anymore at higher RPMs but a check in the misfire monitors still shows #1 and #4 having issues.
#2 and #3 has always been perfect. At this point I did the following:

-New Plugs
-Swaped Coils between 1 and 2, 3 and 4,either transfered ( But I did not do this part myself, I stepped out real quick so not sure it was done)

Then because issue still present, but not it does not throw a CEL at all I believe maybe the injectors were faulty so I purchased new ones:

-New ATP E85 Injectors

The other night I did a WOT pull from 50-100+ mph keep all the way from work to home at night
and it runs perfectly with no misfires in any cylinder. and everything seems normal. But on another day
I pushed it it would do the same misfire as it was doing before, but agian, not hickups were felt at all.

I still mentioned it to John about the previous misfires, and a Cat Code, so we had the
revision done with less timing and boost to see if we can get it resolved

After the revision, I spend about 2hrs in total testing,
I am currently experiencing a misfire that does not throw a light orcode on the vehicle, or felt in the vehicle in anyways, no hesitation.
It is also random at times where it misfires. I check misfires with the Mode 06 from OBD2 scan tools it shows calculated engine misfire counts.
Counts only increase dramatically at higher RPMs. and just focused in cylinder #4.

-Stock Tune with E85 Injectors still has counts higher than 1,2,3 cylidners. e.g. 1,2,3 will be at 1-2 counts where 4 will be at 7

I am going to get the 4C coils next but I have no hope that will fix it since I believe it was done and it did not trasnfer

Trackday is coming up in two weeks and I really don't want to miss it, it is one of the really good ones in a LONG TIME (2 years). I have prepared this for so long and can't miss it.

Any ideas? I'm going nuts, at this point might as well just get that whole new engine assembly from redline auto and replace it god damn it

·
Registered
692 Posts
What exactly is the car doing when misfiring ? You said it was doing it before the e85 and started up agin after the tune? I had a car over revved to 8800 and it blew a piston through the oil pan ( I wasn’t driving lol ) I’m sure the car handled 8k if it’s still running and just random mis fires . But who knows . Get the coil packs on and make sure spark plug gap is right , not sure which plugs you’re running but Brisks gave me trouble.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What exactly is the car doing when misfiring ? You said it was doing it before the e85 and started up agin after the tune? I had a car over revved to 8800 and it blew a piston through the oil pan ( I wasn’t driving lol ) I’m sure the car handled 8k if it’s still running and just random mis fires . But who knows . Get the coil packs on and make sure spark plug gap is right , not sure which plugs you’re running but Brisks gave me trouble.
Replaced with OEM plugs,
I don’t feel anything at all, car pulls great no hesitation or anything in fact.

·
Registered
291 Posts
ehhhhhh
Harts its not really sort it that why this post

Basically, EVERYTHING feels fine but the misfire counts on cylinder 4
Ahh, sorry... I thought it was. Keep at it mate, you will work it out!

My first experience with E85 was similar actually, in the end the issue I had turned out to be a poor quality and inconsistent spray pattern from the new 1000c deutschwerk injectors, so I had to go out and buy the best 1000cc injectors I could find (Bosch maybe?). High quality injectors fixed my fueling issue instantly.

I am guessing you have done this already, but considering you threw a cam angle/wiring code early on, would it be worth check all ignition, cam etc. wiring connections? Even if they all look good, maybe one is just loose or has water/dust ingress? Especially any connection you might have touched to install anything at all? Cpu, throttle controller, boost controller, air intake assosciated connections etc etc.

Good luck @klikai

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I’m sorry you are having problems. I wish I had a solution for you. I think I might be having the same issues. I’m still running the Tork tune and noticed the CEL flashing a few times the other day after a hard pull in third gear. I checked codes and nothing was stored or pending so I believe it was likely a misfire.

I’m not clear on how you are checking the misfire count. I primarily use the OBD Fusion app but I have a couple of others I can use. But I don’t see how to check the misfire count.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I’m sorry you are having problems. I wish I had a solution for you. I think I might be having the same issues. I’m still running the Tork tune and noticed the CEL flashing a few times the other day after a hard pull in third gear. I checked codes and nothing was stored or pending so I believe it was likely a misfire.

I’m not clear on how you are checking the misfire count. I primarily use the OBD Fusion app but I have a couple of others I can use. But I don’t see how to check the misfire count.
Well I never had any issue with the Tork 1.5+ ironically lol
All I did was new plugs

Our car needs plugs every 12k-15k, especially you are running an aggressive tune
I have a scan tool that monitors the mode $06 which has misfire count in it

Now what I don't understand is that why is it misfiring, wouldn't be from the tune because
all others are ok

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ahh, sorry... I thought it was. Keep at it mate, you will work it out!

My first experience with E85 was similar actually, in the end the issue I had turned out to be a poor quality and inconsistent spray pattern from the new 1000c deutschwerk injectors, so I had to go out and buy the best 1000cc injectors I could find (Bosch maybe?). High quality injectors fixed my fueling issue instantly.

I am guessing you have done this already, but considering you threw a cam angle/wiring code early on, would it be worth check all ignition, cam etc. wiring connections? Even if they all look good, maybe one is just loose or has water/dust ingress? Especially any connection you might have touched to install anything at all? Cpu, throttle controller, boost controller, air intake assosciated connections etc etc.

Good luck @klikai
Thanks
Yes

That Crank sensor does come up to mind when I went over the mopar diagnostic document
Water Ingress maybe an issue since I have hood vents

I'll go over agian..

·
Registered
692 Posts
If your car is pulling fine . Not doing anything odd except picking up on a misfire on a scan tool , maybe all ours are doing this we’re just not scanning after we drive . I never have codes come up on mine though . But I wouldn’t buy the new motor if all feels ok . Wait till your motor goes kaboom first ( or buy store and then wait lol ) . And stop shifting to 2nd :) , go faster & stay in 3rd :)

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
If your car is pulling fine . Not doing anything odd except picking up on a misfire on a scan tool , maybe all ours are doing this we’re just not scanning after we drive . I never have codes come up on mine though . But I wouldn’t buy the new motor if all feels ok . Wait till your motor goes kaboom first ( or buy store and then wait lol ) . And stop shifting to 2nd :) , go faster & stay in 3rd :)
Ye I think I do like 2nd a lot lol
Going to NJMP in two weeks time I hope nothing goes wrong
I'll only need 3-4 gear on the track in this car.maybe just 5 for the straight
I put on amsoil coolant boost, maybe installing some coolant vents before going to reduce transmission and diff tempreture

·
Registered
303 Posts
I use multiecuscan, it’ll show spark knock retard so not just the count but whether or not the ECU responds to it and by how much.

you need to look at the head level, leak down test, can sensor, etc

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Update Got New 4C Coil packs from My dealership
I work a fiat dealership so....

Employee discount, $220 with tax included, good deal
It'll be here tomorrow

·
Registered
932 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I use multiecuscan, it’ll show spark knock retard so not just the count but whether or not the ECU responds to it and by how much.

you need to look at the head level, leak down test, can sensor, etc
emm
I checked multiecuscan but it does not support 124 spiders
However I do have a Autel Scan Tool that supports spark knock voltage for each individual cylinder Was wondering if that would help?
Did not find the value for Injector pulse width / duty cycles tho

·
Registered
3,703 Posts
It’s got me wondering, too, although I don’t get flashing CEL or misfire codes.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Misfire is normal, as long as it's not excessive to the point of generating CEL. I've seen misfire with 4C coils and OEM plugs on the stock tune. Misfire is part of life.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts