Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody attempted this mod for normal LED replacement turn signals on the 124? Is it the same module layout?

https://mx5things.com/2018/04/01/tear-down-bcm-fixing-hyper-flashing-with-leds/

I currently have resistors (had to add at each location) but seems messy. I’m not a fan of the LEDs with built in resistors. The additional loading just seems to defeat one of the purposes.

I’m handy with the soldering iron, but seems like an expensive part to get wrong.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok, so after a bit of a delay, I now have resistor(s) to do this mod to remove the 50w load resistors. But am stuck...how does the BCM come out? There is a clip at the top of the module, but it’s impossible to get a hand up there to remove the clip. Is there a trick?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
BCM Modified successfully

I have finally managed to get rid of the 50W load resistors, and am running regular LED turn signals without built in loads. There are a couple of tricky spots - as @ssh16 says on his blog post, it isn't for everyone.

Link to removing the BCM: http://mazdaman.x10host.com/sm356376/. Remember, if you have a manual transmission, go down to the section marked MT - makes it much easier. I didn't remove the drivers side trim, so it probably would have been a lot easier, as getting to the harness clips would have been easier. You need to remove thos harness clips, to be able to move the wiring loom out of the way to get to the clip holding the BCM in place.

Helpful link to the location of the resistor that needs changing: https://mx5things.com/2018/04/01/tear-down-bcm-fixing-hyper-flashing-with-leds/

The Surface Mount resistor is tiny. Did I say tiny? I meant miniscule: it is 1.6mm (0.063") long. You will need some fine eyesight and a fine tipped soldering iron. I don't have the former, at my age, but have the latter. A good magnifying glass really helped.

I soldered on two wires after desoldering the resistor. Extra-flexible silicone insulated tinned-copper 30awg. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KQ2JNLI/ and soldered a 1/3W resistor to the end of that, instead of trying to solder an SMT component back.

The resistor(s) were then insulated then double sided 3M foam tape used to hold it onto the front connector on the board.

There's another reason to use the leads: if I need to change the resistor, then it's a lot easier. And in fact, I did.

Initially, I used a 4.7kohm resistor, as recommended. I suspected this was way too low, but gave it a try. two incandescent bulbs plus an incandescent side repeater draws about 5 amps. The original resistor is 1.3kohms. The LEDs I have consume 220mA each (front and rear) and 20mA on the side repeater, for a total of 460mA, about one tenth of what the incandescents draw.

With a 4.7kohm resistor, plus load resistors simulating incandescents, the turn signals don't work, or the emergency flashers. They flash on once then turn off. This is probably because it sees a short circuit (too much current detected). Removed the load resistors from the rear lights (I needed a load resistor both front and rear, for a total of 4 resistors). Hazards now work, and turn signals work. Removed a load resistor from the front right: hazards work but right turn still gives hyperflash.

Doing the math (above) I went with a total of 13kohms (10k + 3k in series), as shown in the images. Removed all the 50W load resistors, and both turn signals work, and hazard lights work. Removed a turn signal bulb from a socket, and the hyperflash started, as expected and desired.

Because of the low current draw, the current sense circuit - according to the data sheet - probably around 100uA, instead of 1mA with the standard resistor - I was concerned about it showing an 'open' circuit leakage current fault (if that feature was utilized), but that threshold at the very low end is 4uA, so no problems there.

Problem areas: removing the BCM (should have removed the drivers side trim); desoldering the SMT resistor; soldering two wires on. The rest is cake (but I had a whole bunch of resistors, a quality temperature-controlled fine tipped soldering iron).

So, final thought(s): why not use resistors? Why use 4 resistors (2 each side) instead of 2? Why not use bulbs with built in resistors/loading?

The resistors are an ugly hack, get hot, and defeat one of the purposes of using LEDs (Lower power consumption). The LEDs I selected have a very low power consumption for the light they put out (260lm for 220mA); remember, this is an amber bulb behind an amber lens. Bulbs with built in resistors run the risk of transferring the heat generated to the 'wrong' part of the bulb: I.e. the bulb housing. I'd not recommend using such bulbs, unless from a reputable source, properly designed for an incandescent replacement.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update: I had to change out the resistor from 13k to 15k.

With the car off, the signals worked fine. With the car on (cold morning) the left would hyperflash, but the right was OK. The voltage on the system was marginally higher (or lower, I never really got to the bottom of that). The left side was drawing marginally less current than the right side, so was on the hairy threshold.

I removed the drivers side trim, this time (only takes a couple of minutes). It helps a bit, but it's still really tight to get your hand on the connectors.

Anyone doing this mod would need to check the loading on their bulbs to see what resistor they would need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
BCM Modified successfully
Remember, if you have a manual transmission, go down to the section marked MT - makes it much easier. I didn't remove the drivers side trim, so it probably would have been a lot easier, as getting to the harness clips would have been easier. You need to remove thos harness clips, to be able to move the wiring loom out of the way to get to the clip holding the BCM in place.
How did you get to press that tab on top?
What tool(s) did you use?

I took off those clips and undid the connectors, but haven’t been able to reach that tab.

Thanks,
Yushi

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How did you get to press that tab on top?
What tool(s) did you use?

I took off those clips and undid the connectors, but haven’t been able to reach that tab.

Thanks,
Yushi
With difficulty. The wiring loom was restricting the space to get a hand up there. The main loop is connected to a metal bracket, and there's a small two or 3 way connector that can be disconnected also. This will allow the loom to move out to give more room to get your hand up and onto the top clip.

It actually didn't need a lot of downward force to unclip.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With difficulty. The wiring loom was restricting the space to get a hand up there. The main loop is connected to a metal bracket, and there's a small two or 3 way connector that can be disconnected also. This will allow the loom to move out to give more room to get your hand up and onto the top clip.

It actually didn't need a lot of downward force to unclip.
Thanks for your reply!

I did undo all the connectors and the two clips that the instruction says. I still had very hard time (and could not) get my finger in.
I also undid the connector on BCM that instruction says to undo after unclip.
Looking at the picture now, The only thing I can think of is to undo the connector that we unclip and tuck away the cable, but I am not sure how it might help.

Attached is the picture of what I struggled with. It is a '19 Miata. Does it look similar to what you remember?

The instruction to remove the BCM bracket indicates almost entire disassembly of the interior, which I will not do.

Thanks again.
Yushi

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that looks the same. You are correct, undo 'that connector', and I actually removed the plastic mount from the metal bracket, as you have done, it appears. In addition, I believe the black wrapped loom has a clip further to just off the bottom left of your picture. By undoing that clip to the loom, along with the connector allows the loom to move out of the way so that the back of your hand can have a bit more room to offer leverage over the top of the module.

I removed all connectors first, also.

I used the Miata instructions, also.

It was extremely difficult the first time, in fact it took me several goes over several days to get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Success!

Knowing what I know (from you) now, the process took about an hour.
(I had a hot tweezer, so removal of the 0603 resistor was an easy job.)

I think I undid one more connector (big one below the BCM, not specified in the instruction), and was able to stick my hand (not just a finger) behind the BCM.
I suppose the "lip" of the BCM can be cut off, if it needs to be accessed again, but I just did not.

Thank you very much for your help!!!

Cheers,
Yushi

Yep, that looks the same. You are correct, undo 'that connector', and I actually removed the plastic mount from the metal bracket, as you have done, it appears. In addition, I believe the black wrapped loom has a clip further to just off the bottom left of your picture. By undoing that clip to the loom, along with the connector allows the loom to move out of the way so that the back of your hand can have a bit more room to offer leverage over the top of the module.

I removed all connectors first, also.

I used the Miata instructions, also.

It was extremely difficult the first time, in fact it took me several goes over several days to get it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I realized that my hazard light was not working with 15k ohm resistor.
I changed to 12k ohm, and it seems to be working for now.
I will continue monitoring.

My LED bulbs draw a total of 0.84A per side for the front, rear, and side repeater at 12V.
I did not measure left and right individually. I just measured with a lab power supply before installing.

With previous experience, the process was within 30 min.

Yushi

1 - 13 of 13 Posts