Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 6MT, Ragazzon Evoline Exhaust, GFB DV+
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am starting to modify my 2018 Abarth 124, what is the best intake? Some people say aFe Momentum GT power intake, Eurocompulsions suggests there V4 intake and then there is 500 MADNESS MAXflow Intake. Am I going to expect the same gains from any of these with a tune? How does the build quality of these intakes differ? Does anyone have dynos not by the manufacture showing power gains from these? I just want to make sure I am buying the right one and not either mess up my car in some way or get one that is not as quality as another.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Nero Cinema
202 Posts
Well I have the EC v4 and maxflow I like different things about each. I love the silicon pipe if of the v4 and it is significantly larger diameter than max flow. I love the BMC canister and design of its internals. There is somewhere on here where EC said only reason they made their own canister was to cut down on cost and it’s pretty close in design to the BMC one. The BMC filter in the canister is very small but it has a velocity stack in it. The EC filter is at least 1/2” larger diameter. Now the kicker I still have the factory air box installed with a BMC panel filter! Everyone says intake makes no difference until you upgrade the turbo and I believe that to be accurate. I haven’t installed the intakes yet due to warranty and time but may combine the two kits to see if that becomes the ultimate intake? Oh also the maxflow has a nice bracket to hold it in place not that I think it needs it but it couldn’t hurt. Sorry no experience with the afe but some say it’s hard to service but from what I see in the other two can’t see it being much different than them. Hope I didn’t make the decision even more difficult for you if I’m doubt just get the v4 it’s popular and if you need additional parts for any reason they are readily available.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Nero Cinema
202 Posts
Oh sorry I forgot if you like simplicity and cleanliness go for the EC. There is only four clamps as opposed to 8 with couplers and pipes. This is a big reason I want their intercooler. If something goes wrong the possibility’s are fewer and easier to remedy. Plus the thermal conductivity of aluminum is high as opposed to the insulating properties of silicon. That’s science not BS so do your research and pick one probably can’t go wrong. Oh and I don’t think the max flow will ever have a Dyno, they just do things differently. They will just tell you it is an improvement over the stock unit. At least that’s not a lie. Lol good luck

·
Registered
969 Posts
No matter which one you get, the power gains are in the order of 0 - 0.5 hp. Don't believe any of the claims about 10 hp gains, they are lies! If you're just getting one for looks, get AFE because it has clamped connections everywhere where one is needed so it doesn't leak PVC oil like V4 and others.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I will say pay close very attention to the scale on the graphs and bar charts showing the gains you get with air intakes. If you don't know the symbol for units on a graph, look it up. Understand well enough that you can visualize the tiny amount if air involved per unit of time in the additional air flow, if the graph is even demonstrating gains in air flow. For example one graph I have seen showing a whopping 33.5% gain in flow is labeled as "Flow measured at 1.5" H2O" which, unless your air intake is going to be taking water into the engine, seems to be telling you how much hose water is going to spray back in your face when you wrench it out. (aka "rinse" it out, as fancy people say.) The astute customer will realize the seller is being 100pct honest to people who take the time to read between the lines. The only real gain is that filter's washable and thus reusable. Maybe you could have four of them for less than the price of a V4, use 'em all in track weekend, take them home, wash them out (careful of your face), let them dry, maybe help that with a fan, reuse them next track weekend and every track weekend. (No clue if tracking is that hard on air filters to where you'd use 4 in a weekend, just sayin' that sort of gain is what you are really getting: Washabilty. Period.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Nero Cinema
202 Posts
OP asked what intake to buy and not should I buy one. There are plenty of threads on how little intakes do alone. There is also merit in an intake with bigger turbo, exhaust mods, noise if that’s what you want, looks, and really any other reason someone would buy one. The whole intakes are a waste of money is not accurate if you factor the above in. Alone sure does nothing to little but as part of a build its a different story.

·
Registered
754 Posts
I like that the V4, also makes the engine compartment less cluttered. With all the heat produced by this little turbo 4 banger, figured having more room for air to circulate would not be a bad thing.

·
Registered
190 Posts
whatever EC intake retains the stock airbox and replaces the connection with a silicone tube. Replace the stock filter with a washable one. Looks better than stock, added convince of being able to easily wash the filter, and gives you the same power gains any other intake will. none.

·
Registered
142 Posts
$500 beer coolers will keep your beer colder for longer than the $35 cooler from the gas station.

That said, after enough time passes, the ice melts in both coolers. Doesn't matter a week later which cooler you bought.. Your ice is melted and your beer is warm.

Given a very short duration of time for beer in the cooler because your pals are all alcoholics and drank up all your beer in an hour (jerks!), there's zero difference in outcomes between the $500 cooler and the $45 one.

So, which intake to get? For air related reasons? That depends on how long you plan to keep particular air in your intake.

·
Registered
432 Posts
whatever EC intake retains the stock airbox and replaces the connection with a silicone tube. Replace the stock filter with a washable one. Looks better than stock, added convince of being able to easily wash the filter, and gives you the same power gains any other intake will. none.
I second this. I have tried two intakes now and I didn’t feel a benefit from either. Do what he said and put the extra money into an EC intercooler. That is money much better spent.

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
IF you plan to add Phase-1-2 or 3 or you have the Euro lite piggyback, then you modify the intake to what was mentioned above, it's your choice. Other then that keep it stock or just go change to the AFE filter which you just wash it with dish soap. It will pay itself.
I had the EC-1 with AFE air filter, with my EC piggyback, then I went with the EC4, I did notice some difference.

Reactions: BubSterAbarth
1 - 15 of 15 Posts