Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Super Moderator
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not usually one for unabashed fan-boy level foaming at the mouth about a product...but, I just have to rant about how great the Vaitrix Digipedal Commander is.

But first, maybe a word about my approach to mods on this car is in order to put things in context.

I am not a track guy, a drag racer, or an autocrosser. But I do love performance, spirit, handling, and balance...things this car has in abundance.

So, my approach to mods has been to make things the way I think they should have been from the factory...you know, if the manufacturer didn't have to make compromises and concessions due to regulations, appealing to the largest customer base, emission standards, and of course cutting corners to keep costs down. So the "upgrades" are not all aimed at better measurable performance but also aimed at reliability, fit and finish, and plain old peace-of-mind.

As such, I have so far done:
GFB DV+. (a superior design to the OEM piece)
PTP Turbo Blanket. (all turbos deserve a blanket!)
EuroCompulsion V4 Intake. (great design, frees up space for catch-can placement)
Vaitrix boost gauge. (all turbo cars need a boost gauge!)
Goodwin Racing RoadsterSport Exhaust for Fiat 124 Abarth. (it just looks and sounds awesome!)

But, if I'm honest, I never really felt much of a performance boost from any of them...certainly none that couldn't be explained by placebo factor alone.

In fact, despite my choices and being happy with the "upgrade" in each case inline with my approach to modding, only the exhaust really put a smile on my face, even though I'm happy with each and would do them all again.

Then comes the Vaitrix Digipedal Commander!!!

This thing is, in a word...BLOODY FANTASTIC!!!
It is my favourite mod by far. BY FAR. It really wakes the car up. It is so much fun. And it pairs perfectly with the exhaust.

I'm doing a full article that isn't finished yet - but I'm so elated with this little thing I felt compelled to share.

So far:
I've tried most of the settings...but ~10 on the sport mode is about my sweet spot (it goes from 1-13).
It makes the car so much more responsive, sound so good, and so much fun to drive. Honestly, I'd rather drive this car in std mode with the Vaitrix Digipedal Commander engaged than in sport mode! Of course sport mode with the Digipedal on 10 is an absolute hoot.
I don't have any ecu mods, but got occasional natural pops and bangs with the Goodwin exhaust. With the Digipedal I definitely get more - but almost always intentional and so far definitely not too much.
I am going to have to raise the boost alarm on my gauge a bit as I'm hitting 23psi all the time now.
Even the eco mode is pretty neat - almost comical on its lowest setting but I can def see it useful in slippery conditions and/or if you let someone else drive the car

Bottom line: I could rant for ages. It makes this car exactly what it always should have been - wicked responsive and wicked fun. It's how the car should be in my humble opinion. I love it. Best mod I've ever made - by a long shot. Just awesome. Do yourself a favour - get one!

PS - I paid full retail (actually wifey did for Father's Day gift) and I doubt Eurocompulsion or Vaitrix even know who I am - so this is just my opinion for my fellow enthusiasts and fans.

·
Banned
3,046 Posts
I think a rant is negative, I think you mean rave.

Is your car tuned?

Reactions: Mike34

·
Super Moderator
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Either word can actually be positive or negative, depending on context. Source: I have used words professionally for 30 years. But yes, rave might be the more common or expected verb.

Not tuned (would have certainly mentioned that in my list of mods)

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Bill, I felt the same way about the Madness Bluetooth Go Pedal. It actually made me faster at the track because of the throttle response. But then it stuck the throttle wide open during a lap and threw a code. I took it off and Madness sent me a brand new hard wired one at no cost. Great customer service actually. But I just recently took it off as well. I'm not racing this year and when I drive the car now I'm more in relaxation mode. With the Go Pedal I just couldn't find a setting that didn't result in a lot of surging/lurching at low speed/low gear driving. 30 MPH in second gear would drive me nuts with the car surging all the time. I miss how responsive the car felt but at least I got rid of the surge. If the Vaitrix has the response without the surge maybe I'll look into it one day.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Makes me want to try one out. I'm curious how it pairs with a tune, I think @Chainringtattoo has one with a tune if im correct with my rather poor memory?
You posted while I typing to Bill. Yes, I had one. I'd like another one if I can find one that doesn't cause low speed surging.

Reactions: celbii

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Well, this one was off my radar and has me interested. How difficult was it to install?
That's a trick question. It's extremely easy to install...if you can get under the dash to the accelerator.

Reactions: Rickh123456

·
Super Moderator
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Chainring,

I have only had it on for 2 days, but I can't say I felt any kind of surging. Mind you, I'm in an AT so that might make it feel different? It sure goes through the first couple of gears in the AT fast!

The Vaitrix has some logic I think other's don't have - it's supposed to be fail-safe (as in can't fail at WOT). I can't verify that though.

Installation of the Vaitrix is a little more complicated than the others as there are 3 connections to make and a separate control box (separate from the controller) - but still very easy - I'll have the full step-by-step how-to article up in a couple of days.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
Oh automatic - no brainer to do this then. I have a manual and there is always a little surge in manuals anyway but the Go Pedal just amplified it. You shouldn't feel any surging in an auto.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Banned
3,046 Posts
Either word can actually be positive or negative, depending on context. Source: I have used words professionally for 30 years. But yes, rave might be the more common or expected verb.

Well that’s what you’re missing lol, get that and it will tie in all of your mods and give you something you can actually feel AND make you faster!

·
Banned
3,046 Posts

Also, no.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I have the seletron pedal controller and it's great. Good bluetooth app through phone as I wanted it as discrete as possible. I usually have it switched off in normal driving as the tune does a good job. But on motorway or when apirited driving I put it on 30% which enables more power with less travel and its great.

These are definitely good additions

·
Super Moderator
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Also, no.
Dude, did you even bother to read the link that shows right there in your second HuGE screenshot? Also, check the OED and not just what Google pops. I'm done with this part of the conversation.

·
Premium Member
1,563 Posts
MiniDreamCar (noun) def. Manchild, lacking social skills and comprehension of negative public perception. Keyboard warrior. Disconnect between Broca area and physical speech unit.

His discourse and mannerisms comes across like a petulatnt 13 year old.

·
Banned
3,046 Posts
MiniDreamCar (noun) def. Manchild, lacking social skills and comprehension of negative public perception. Keyboard warrior. Disconnect between Broca area and physical speech unit.

His discourse and mannerisms comes across like a petulatnt 13 year old.
Someone’s jealous they weren’t making over 100k at 25 AND with a better vocabulary...

Tough love baby.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Someone’s jealous they weren’t making over 100k at 25 AND with a better vocabulary...

Tough love baby.
And there you have it, folks, money shot right there.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts

Tough love baby.
I speak for no one but myself when I say the fact you haven't been banned from this forum yet is only through the patience and grace of the moderators. You have over 3000 posts and not one of them are worth reading. You are annoying, irritating, arrogant and you greatly detract from the otherwise good nature and character of this forum. If you think your salary makes you important you have a lot to learn. There are many on this forum, myself included, who have witnessed young men and women your age and younger give everything in service and sacrifice to others. This is something you know nothing about. Those two words couldn't possibly be in your "superior vocabulary". I assume I can or will be banned myself for this post but I'm done with you and your attitude that spews toxicity with almost every post.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Vaitrix boost gauge. (all turbo cars need a boost gauge!)
I've always wondered about this: why should this be a necessity? I have two vehicles, now, with Turbos (the second is a twin turbo - which has a digital boost gauge). What role does this play while driving?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts