Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
801 Posts
So, back on topic. Can someone explain to me exactly what these products (the GoPedal, DigiPedal, etc) actually do? Are they simply making the pedal more sensitive, that is, less pedal travel is required to achieve the same level of throttle input? Or is it something more sophisticated than that? I drive a manual, btw.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I've always wondered about this: why should this be a necessity? I have two vehicles, now, with Turbos (the second is a twin turbo - which has a digital boost gauge). What role does this play while driving?
This a critical piece. You have to be aware of what psi your car is generating. This could help to prevent or even diagnose a problem with the car if the car is not making the correct amount of PSI

Reactions: celbii

·
Registered
953 Posts
In terms of boost gauge, mine gave me a good indication of the extra boost p1 gave me over 5k revs AND it confirmed dip in the power band around 4k caused by a leak at 19psi. Its really valuable in my view. Itd also good to see if its making expected boost ar given temps. For example I know what to expect boost wise in 15c temps at mid range. If I see less I'd suspect a possible issue.

Pedal controllers simply intercept the signal between position sensor and the ecu to give more or less throttle ar a given pedal position.

And yes as one of the younger members on here that guys behaviour really annoys me.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm learning a good bit of new info on this thread! I had the same question about the boost gauge... and tying that back in to the original post BillaVista said he may need to alter the boost alarm... does that mean the aggressive pedal adjustment is causing over-pressurization? If so, is that just on punching hard acceleration or carrying through to the cruising speed? Since I use this car primarily as a daily driver with 60 mile commute on the highway I don't want mods for spirited driving to cause too much strain on the engine. (a big part of the appeal of this device is the adjustability) P.S. I have an AT due to all those lovely traffic jams I get into.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
I'm learning a good bit of new info on this thread! I had the same question about the boost gauge... and tying that back in to the original post BillaVista said he may need to alter the boost alarm... does that mean the aggressive pedal adjustment is causing over-pressurization? If so, is that just on punching hard acceleration or carrying through to the cruising speed? Since I use this car primarily as a daily driver with 60 mile commute on the highway I don't want mods for spirited driving to cause too much strain on the engine. (a big part of the appeal of this device is the adjustability) P.S. I have an AT due to all those lovely traffic jams I get into.
Worry not, you won't put any real strain on your engine with this mod, besides they are meant to be driven!

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I speak for no one but myself when I say the fact you haven't been banned from this forum yet is only through the patience and grace of the moderators. You have over 3000 posts and not one of them are worth reading. You are annoying, irritating, arrogant and you greatly detract from the otherwise good nature and character of this forum. If you think your salary makes you important you have a lot to learn. There are many on this forum, myself included, who have witnessed young men and women your age and younger give everything in service and sacrifice to others. This is something you know nothing about. Those two words couldn't possibly be in your "superior vocabulary". I assume I can or will be banned myself for this post but I'm done with you and your attitude that spews toxicity with almost every post.
Well stated Steve. Concise and to the point. Nothing to add here.

Dan

·
Super Moderator
754 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
So, back on topic. Can someone explain to me exactly what these products (the GoPedal, DigiPedal, etc) actually do? Are they simply making the pedal more sensitive, that is, less pedal travel is required to achieve the same level of throttle input? Or is it something more sophisticated than that? I drive a manual, btw.
Yes, exactly. I'm sure there's some logic and safety programmed in, but that is what it does. Not very sophisticated and not really "improving" anything per se...but the feeling you get, the response, is dramatic and FUN.

The boost alarm comes with a factory default setting of 15psi. If you don't change it, in this car, you'll be hearing it all the time. I arbitrarily set it to 22 psi (for no particular reason), and at that setting I would very occasionally get it...not really as an alarm, but more of a beep that lets me know I'm getting it. After the Digipedal install I was getting the 22psi alarm more frequently than before - not because it is producing more boost - simply because the throttle is being commanded to open more for less given pedal travel. To be honest, I don't actually know what a good "alarm" setting is for this car (how much boost is too much boost?), but it any case I raised it to 25 psi and get very few "alarms" now.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Yes, exactly. I'm sure there's some logic and safety programmed in, but that is what it does. Not very sophisticated and not really "improving" anything per se...but the feeling you get, the response, is dramatic and FUN.

The boost alarm comes with a factory default setting of 15psi. If you don't change it, in this car, you'll be hearing it all the time. I arbitrarily set it to 22 psi (for no particular reason), and at that setting I would very occasionally get it...not really as an alarm, but more of a beep that lets me know I'm getting it. After the Digipedal install I was getting the 22psi alarm more frequently than before - not because it is producing more boost - simply because the throttle is being commanded to open more for less given pedal travel. To be honest, I don't actually know what a good "alarm" setting is for this car (how much boost is too much boost?), but it any case I raised it to 25 psi and get very few "alarms" now.
Hi @BillaVista for my knowledge of the car and considering that most of us here in the concur you should put 23 psi alarm for stock tune because the car does 22psi stock. But I'm sure any other member with a little more knowledge could confirm my suggestion.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yep 22 is max stock I believe. I havent seen higher than 24 on phase 1 which I believe is the max according to an older post from Greg which I cant find.. I have my alarm set to 23.5 as I've only ever seen 24psi in near 30c heat which is incredibly rare here.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I speak for no one but myself when I say the fact you haven't been banned from this forum yet is only through the patience and grace of the moderators. You have over 3000 posts and not one of them are worth reading. You are annoying, irritating, arrogant and you greatly detract from the otherwise good nature and character of this forum. If you think your salary makes you important you have a lot to learn. There are many on this forum, myself included, who have witnessed young men and women your age and younger give everything in service and sacrifice to others. This is something you know nothing about. Those two words couldn't possibly be in your "superior vocabulary". I assume I can or will be banned myself for this post but I'm done with you and your attitude that spews toxicity with almost every post.
Now, that is some real "Tough Love"!

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
Here's what I see in my head...

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This a critical piece. You have to be aware of what psi your car is generating. This could help to prevent or even diagnose a problem with the car if the car is not making the correct amount of PSI
Still doesn't help, I think. From a troubleshooting perspective, yes, but I'm not sure why I need to be aware of the PSI, assuming everything is operating correctly.

·
Registered
953 Posts
I guess so you dont have to assume.. boost dumping and other issues arent always obvious by feel I suppose. Its personal choice though.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Still doesn't help, I think. From a troubleshooting perspective, yes, but I'm not sure why I need to be aware of the PSI, assuming everything is operating correctly.
You can assume by how the car pulls. But you need as much help as you can to evaluate whether the car is fully operational or in limp mode. I'm in the search of a boost gauge because my car was dumping boost by the diverter valve. But if it is dumping on the wastegate I will not notice unless I have a gauge. It's not mandatory mod but it helps discarding problems when doing troubleshooting. Anyway I respect your position. Remember this mod depends if you are tuning or leaving the car stock. If I had the car on stock tune I wouldn't mind not having it. Now that I'm tuned for me it's a most or mandatory.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It just makes your 25% input to be 35% So practically for free you just can push throttle little bit stronger. Different presets just modulate pressure via some curve data. It gives nice illusion that car is bit more responsive, downside it means you have less direct correlation between pressure and actual input.

21 - 40 of 55 Posts