Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, ok I know this has been beat to death. But it still seems confusing to me. I need opinions, based on actual experience, on which is the better piggyback tuner for a 2020 124 Spyder Abarth (automatic).
I want 20-30 more hp (if possible) with zero effect on reliability. Im old, cranky and no longer fascinated with continuous fiddling on cars. Quick, easy and reliable is what I want.

This is Sept 2022.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,544 Posts
Madness hands down. Have the first gen it was awesome, need new harness to put it into my new Abarth if madness ever gets back to me. It’s an old product and they had to go digging around for the harness. Really appreciate them even trying. Was thinking of this to hold me off until I can do the turbo upgrade and then get a Tork tune. If I never do the turbo I would just do the madness and be done with it.

·
881 Posts
We have sold a ton of the Seletron Chipbox tuner and everyone seems very pleased with the results. Even more so if paired with the pedalbooster. I would go that route as it is an Italian company and they make a real quality product from our experience. Auto Ricambi has free shipping on qualifying orders too. Good deal.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My car had a madness unit on it. @socal1200r put it on when he owned it and seemed to like it. By the time I got the car, it was shorting out several things. Had to replace my throttle body and several cam sensors.
Oh wow, good to know. Did you contact madness about it, they are pretty good at responding. Not sure if there would be anything they could do about it though. I will keep this in mind, I was looking forward to reinstalling the piggyback on my new car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did but before I knew exactly what the issue was. They thought it might've been the GoPedal. I'm sure if you get a new harness you'll be fine. I'm inclined to believe my issue was harness related. I wasn't keen on keeping the unit anyway.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,312 Posts
I think 'Best Piggyback' is an oxymoron, they are inherently a poor way to tune. Tried the piggy choices from all the brands, full flash of the ECU is much more comprehensive and effective.

Tried several flash tunes once they came available, ended up with Torx Tune as the most refined and smooth, etc.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We have sold a ton of the Seletron Chipbox tuner and everyone seems very pleased with the results. Even more so if paired with the pedalbooster. I would go that route as it is an Italian company and they make a real quality product from our experience. Auto Ricambi has free shipping on qualifying orders too. Good deal.
I already have “sport mode” on my car which enhances throttle response. What would pedal booster do that sport mode does not already do?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's a major factor in why I wanted to take mine off. I knew that no piggy back would compare to an actual tune. I also daily my car, I don't need it to be a test bed for performance mods.
Since I will never race my car, all I’m looking for is a reliable, safe (for the power train) boost in acceleration when I stomp the pedal. Reliability is paramount as I am (nowadays) a no hassle type of guy. And I do not want to have to make several return trips to a tuner for tweaks to get it right. I know aftermarket tuners can be reliable, a friend has had one on his Harley for 80,000+ miles.

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I already have “sport mode” on my car which enhances throttle response. What would pedal booster do that sport mode does not already do?
Takes away some lag under 2500 rpm. I have the EC piggyback with race+ map, so far very happy. It has a 3 point connection from RAPID TPM lite. I don't know if it is the same one as Maddness. I know another supplier was selling it also.

·
Registered
393 Posts
I’d say a unichip custom tune would be best. I’ve been able to get 20% whp gains above 6000RPM. Unlike many piggybacks, the unichip allows you to adjust timing and boost, among other things ifif you’re keen enough.

Just note though, you need a good tuner behind the unichip hardware. The unichip OTS tubes are meh.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the seltron chipbox and pedal booster installed on my car and I haven’t had any trouble. Very easy install. It is a quick way to get more performance from the vehicle. I purchased mine through Auto Ricambi

·
Registered
211 Posts
Since I will never race my car, all I’m looking for is a reliable, safe (for the power train) boost in acceleration when I stomp the pedal. Reliability is paramount as I am (nowadays) a no hassle type of guy. And I do not want to have to make several return trips to a tuner for tweaks to get it right. I know aftermarket tuners can be reliable, a friend has had one on his Harley for 80,000+ miles.
All a chiptune box is doing is fooling the ECU into thinking you are at lower boost than you are by changing the sensor signal. Your ECU then dumps more fuel and boost in to give you increased performance. They will quote bs HP and torque increases that are paper exercise numbers. Just do it properly imo and get your car remapped on a Dyno. Did mine 2 weeks ago and results were great. Added bonus is I know exactly what my car was at and where it is now. I've a recent thread about my tune.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Ummm the horsepower increase isn’t bull crap with a piggyback…. And yes I strongly recommend a proper flash tune but it isn’t an option for many. The unichip for example connects right into the ECU….easiest install possible.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Well the harness for the older madness ecu is NLA. Looks like I’m going with a flash tune if I want to up the power. It’s a shame because whatever madness did on the first gen was superb.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts