Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’d like to install a remote starter on my 2017 spider(it’s an abarth automatic). I want something very simple nothing that will screw up the standard equipment. Any and all suggestions will be VERY helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know the answer, and it does not apply to me as I have a manual transmission. I am curious to know why do people have/need remote starting ?
For me it’s for the convenience. I get the blue light of worry (coolant light dummy warning telling me to warm the engine) and I’m a bit of a Princess (do my husband tells me) I like my car warm in the winter (when it snows and the temp drops) and cool in the summer (it can get up to 101 F 39 c) here.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth Mare Blue
16 Posts
Uh.... if you were a princess your hubby would go out and start the car to warm/cool for you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
My husband is in the US Military and is currently deployed so.... he can’t right now.
Uh.... if you were a princess your hubby would go out and start the car to warm/cool for you.
And btw when he is at home and not deployed, he leaves for work at 5am and I don’t have to be in the office until 8am. I don’t think I’d want him to leave my car running for 3hrs.. crazy I know but...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just get my butler to start mine for me 😆👍
Can I borrow him? All joking aside, I mainly want to get it because that blue coolant light worries me. The dealer told me it’s fine that the blue coolant light is on but... I’d rather have the car running and the light off before I start to drive it. And sitting in the car for up to 5 min for the engine to warm up so the light disappears is a waste of time in my opinion.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
I fully understand your concerns. Just a couple if points in respect to the law/Highway Code here in the UK : It is potentially illegal to leave a car engine running whilst the car is unattended (especially if on a public road). In addition, should anything untoward happen whilst the car is running and unattended , then the insurance may well be invalid.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I fully understand your concerns. Just a couple if points in respect to the law/Highway Code here in the UK : It is potentially illegal to leave a car engine running whilst the car is unattended (especially if on a public road). In addition, should anything untoward happen whilst the car is running and unattended , then the insurance may well be invalid.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Most US cars have the option for remote start, either factory or dealer installed OEM. In addition, the majority of US cars are automatic. There are no problems with remote start; the US has fewer unnecessary regulatory burdens than the U.K. or Europe. It’s a really nice feature, especially the heated seats and defrosting, and indeed can be considered a safety aspect: it gets really cold (and really hot!) in a lot of places.

personally, I’ve never had a third party/aftermarket remote start work very well, and that was on a common US vehicle (Chevy), and was relatively expensive - about a grand if I recall. One reason I look for factory/OEM remote start if I want it. I see this as a must have on a daily driver. But that is a N of 1, so, take that with a pinch of salt.

Reactions: NewbyinVA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Most US cars have the option for remote start, either factory or dealer installed OEM. In addition, the majority of US cars are automatic. There are no problems with remote start; the US has fewer unnecessary regulatory burdens than the U.K. or Europe. It’s a really nice feature, especially the heated seats and defrosting, and indeed can be considered a safety aspect: it gets really cold (and really hot!) in a lot of places.

personally, I’ve never had a third party/aftermarket remote start work very well, and that was on a common US vehicle (Chevy), and was relatively expensive - about a grand if I recall. One reason I look for factory/OEM remote start if I want it. I see this as a must have on a daily driver. But that is a N of 1, so, take that with a pinch of salt.
What would you recommend for the spider? I don’t want any bells and whistles they have on the market. I just want something that will remote start my car.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts

What would you recommend for the spider? I don’t want any bells and whistles they have on the market. I just want something that will remote start my car.
I would see if you can go to Best Buy; some of those locations do remote starts. They will give you a quote, and more importantly, whether it’s possible or not. They aren’t experts, per se, but they just follow a manufacturers recipe.

The one I had, I think, was Viper. While it was advertised as relatively cheap, the install pushed the price up. I investigated getting it on an older Subaru, and while it was cheaper, it was the install which pushed it up to about $500.

as a side note, I have the dealer installed remote start on a 2019 Outback. There is a small antenna box mounted to the windshield. Don’t know if that’s what would happen with a third party device on the Fiat.

Reactions: NewbyinVA

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would see if you can go to Best Buy; some of those locations do remote starts. They will give you a quote, and more importantly, whether it’s possible or not. They aren’t experts, per se, but they just follow a manufacturers recipe.

The one I had, I think, was Viper. While it was advertised as relatively cheap, the install pushed the price up. I investigated getting it on an older Subaru, and while it was cheaper, it was the install which pushed it up to about $500.

as a side note, I have the dealer installed remote start on a 2019 Outback. There is a small antenna box mounted to the windshield. Don’t know if that’s what would happen with a third party device on the Fiat.
Thank you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts