Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m doing things kind of backward since I’ve posted before about proper seat adjustments (and you were all great enough to help me out), but I figure now that I finally purchased the Classica, I should properly introduce myself. I’ve got another question too, of course.

I’m Dianna and live in north Jersey. I spotted this car for the first time in some youtube videos back in the fall, and have had my eye on buying since the beginning of February. I did see that quite a few of us are in NJ, but I haven’t seen this car out in the wild yet.

This car is absolutely the coolest thing I have ever bought in my life! I could go on and on about how much I want to get out of work and go for a drive again, but I think you guys all already know that feeling.

So here’s the backstory that leads to my question:
I ended up buying the car out in State College, PA (about 3.5 hours away) on Friday. The nearby dealership in Manhattan kept giving me the runaround and saying they would sell it to me for one price and then acting like they had never said that price. Needless to say, I called up the PA dealer and they were more than happy to sell me the car without any BS.

My question has to do with the back license plate. The dealer taped the temp tag on the inside back window (ugh) claiming it was because PA only has cardboard temp tags and he couldn’t put it on the outside of the car because it was raining. When I asked him where I should display the temp tag when I want to put the top down, he told me he doesn’t know since he’s never sold a convertible in the rain... Some silent blank stares ensued, but after an almost uncomfortable silence I said okay and figured that I could work it out later.

So how exactly do I mount the temp tag? Do I need to drill holes in the back for the license plate holder? I see some indents where I think the holder would line up… am I missing something about this? I’ve attached photos of what the back of the car looks like now and the license plate holder that I found in the trunk.

Also, if anyone has any specific products/ directions/ suggestions for how I should wash this car, please share them! I’ve seen the posts on the rosso red paint and it makes me nervous. But this beauty really needs a bath after the 3.5 hours of rain that I drove through to get it home Friday.

Cheers.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Hi :)

I'm in North Jersey also and picked my Abarth up on Thursday. I agree with you....the best thing ever!

The dealer I bought it from put it in a plate frame and attached it directly to the back of the car. It's where your permanent plate will go as well. It should have come with the bolts for it too.

I've attached a photo.

Attachments

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok ..Dianna...lets do this...

I’m doing things kind of backward since I’ve posted before about proper seat adjustments (and you were all great enough to help me out), but I figure now that I finally purchased the Classica, I should properly introduce myself. I’ve got another question too, of course.

I’m Dianna and live in north Jersey. I spotted this car for the first time in some youtube videos back in the fall, and have had my eye on buying since the beginning of February. I did see that quite a few of us are in NJ, but I haven’t seen this car out in the wild yet.

This car is absolutely the coolest thing I have ever bought in my life! I could go on and on about how much I want to get out of work and go for a drive again, but I think you guys all already know that feeling.

So here’s the backstory that leads to my question:
I ended up buying the car out in State College, PA (about 3.5 hours away) on Friday. The nearby dealership in Manhattan kept giving me the runaround and saying they would sell it to me for one price and then acting like they had never said that price. Needless to say, I called up the PA dealer and they were more than happy to sell me the car without any BS.

My question has to do with the back license plate. The dealer taped the temp tag on the inside back window (ugh) claiming it was because PA only has cardboard temp tags and he couldn’t put it on the outside of the car because it was raining. When I asked him where I should display the temp tag when I want to put the top down, he told me he doesn’t know since he’s never sold a convertible in the rain... Some silent blank stares ensued, but after an almost uncomfortable silence I said okay and figured that I could work it out later.

So how exactly do I mount the temp tag? Do I need to drill holes in the back for the license plate holder? I see some indents where I think the holder would line up… am I missing something about this? I’ve attached photos of what the back of the car looks like now and the license plate holder that I found in the trunk.

Also, if anyone has any specific products/ directions/ suggestions for how I should wash this car, please share them! I’ve seen the posts on the rosso red paint and it makes me nervous. But this beauty really needs a bath after the 3.5 hours of rain that I drove through to get it home Friday.

Cheers.
First...you look very cute in your new car.. Are you married??? Nah..Grandpa Bill just messing with you. So here we go.
First, get an Allen wrench or Hex Screw driver and remove the two hex screws AND washers from the back of you car. Do not drill any holes in your car.
Second. With your plate holder on the ground, punch two holes with an ice pick in the two small dimples located on top of plate holder.
Third . Attach your plate holder back onto your car using the two hex screws and washers, making sure the washers are located on the outside, so you can see them, side of the holder. Those washers are used to hold the plate holder to the car. Screw the Allen/ hex screws into the holes that you removed them from with the place holder.
Fourth. Go get some Plastic Cling Wrap and wrap you temp tag tightly and staple the cling wrap to the temp tag on the back side of the temp tag and try to make it water tight.
Last. Now remember those two holes you made with the ice pick?? Line up your temp tag and slip it on the two bottom lips that are on your plate holder, then line up the two holes on the top of your temp tag with the two holes you made.
Do NOT use any LONG screws to attach your temp tag to the holder. Install two screws with washers to the tamp tag and tap into the two holes you made. Use wood screws or self taping bolts...short ones.. Make sure you use some washers on those two top screws to hold temp tag to plate holder.

That should do it. When you go to attach your permanent license to the holder, I suggest you go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some Security Screws, and the tool you need to attach it with. Makes it a lot harder for some AHole or steal your plate. Just a suggestion.
Grandpa Bill
Austin tx.
Welcome to the forums.;);)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Your car looks just like mine! I would put the temp tag inside the back window then drive with the top down. IF you get pulled over, simply put the top up, act like a confused girl and ask the cop what the problem is ;)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Congrats on the car, i think your dealer should put the rear bracket on for you. You don't need to drill the front so dont let them do that, you can order a tow hook license plate bracket for the front to save your bumper.

I bought mine from larchmont ny, i had a paper temp like yours. I taped it to the inside front passenger side windshield. Had no issues from the cops.

·
Registered
145 Posts
The license plate holder you found in the trunk is intended for a front plate (should you need one) There are dimples in the plastic nose of the car for matching holes where Fiat thought it should go but you'll find many opinions on that here and many other ways to mount or avoid front plates. The rear plate mounts directly on the car at the dimples in the back. I'm surprised you dealer didn't make the holes and mount a dealer promo "plate" there. I have used peel and stick rubber "feet" (sometimes called "bumpers") on the back of my rear plate so the plate doesn't touch the painted plastic body surface. I bought those bumper things at a local home improvement store but they're available lots of places. Be sure you attach the rear plate with the trunk open - the lid overhang doesn't allow much clearance. I know of dealers that scarred the lower edge of some trunk lids that way when the very first cars arrived last year.

Attachments

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Two things: Yes, tape the temp tag to the inside of your windshield on the right side, so it does not obscure your vision. Second, tell the dealer to attach the rear plate bracket. If they resist, tell them that the DMV told you that they will do it.

I agree that you are attractive enough to get out of a ticket, if you get pulled over with the roof lowered, but that won't always work. Like Grandpa Bill, I am way too old to worry about being politically correct when it comes to attractive women. Also, my wife understands.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Grandpa Bill stands corrected...ops..

The license plate holder you found in the trunk is intended for a front plate (should you need one) There are dimples in the plastic nose of the car for matching holes where Fiat thought it should go but you'll find many opinions on that here and many other ways to mount or avoid front plates. The rear plate mounts directly on the car at the dimples in the back. I'm surprised you dealer didn't make the holes and mount a dealer promo "plate" there. I have used peel and stick rubber "feet" (sometimes called "bumpers") on the back of my rear plate so the plate doesn't touch the painted plastic body surface. I bought those bumper things at a local home improvement store but they're available lots of places. Be sure you attach the rear plate with the trunk open - the lid overhang doesn't allow much clearance. I know of dealers that scarred the lower edge of some trunk lids that way when the very first cars arrived last year.
..it sucks getting old... wedgewa is correct.. that is your front plate holder and you may have to use a riveting gun to put it on, or you can get a "Platypus " front plate holder and save drilling holds into you new baby.

I suggest taping your temp plate to your rear window, and it a cop pulls you over, blame it on the idiots at the dealership...LOL. There are many Fiat 124 Spider plate holders on the Internet, so when your permanent plates come in, you can just screw it in to the rear mounting holes.
Bill.:eek::eek:

·
Registered
157 Posts
Here is the plate holder I bought...

..it sucks getting old... wedgewa is correct.. that is your front plate holder and you may have to use a riveting gun to put it on, or you can get a "Platypus " front plate holder and save drilling holds into you new baby.

I suggest taping your temp plate to your rear window, and it a cop pulls you over, blame it on the idiots at the dealership...LOL. There are many Fiat 124 Spider plate holders on the Internet, so when your permanent plates come in, you can just screw it in to the rear mounting holes.
Bill.:eek::eek:
Here is the eBay link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/034-FIAT-124-SPIDER-034-License-Plate-Frame-Custom-Made-of-Chrome-Plated-Metal-/152217771451

Grandpa Bill
:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the Forum. You and your car look great.
For the license plate and you will need a front plate for New Jersey, go to a local garage or mechanic you trust and have them install the front bracket for you.
When your real plates come in they should be able to attach them for you.
Take the temp tag off your rear window (Vision, safety reasons) and just put it on the rear of your car with the bolts already there.
Enjoy your beautiful car.
All of us New Jersey drivers should do a meet this summer somewhere in our State.
Luxlover
Cherry Hill, NJ

·
Registered
230 Posts
Looks you have more than enough tips on tags, so I'll just say congrats on your Spidee! Glad you were able to work out getting a good fit in the driver's seat. Enjoy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Your car looks just like mine! I would put the temp tag inside the back window then drive with the top down. IF you get pulled over, simply put the top up, act like a confused girl and ask the cop what the problem is ;)
This was going to be my first runner up idea if I couldn't figure it out. But with my luck I would get a female cop pulling me over. They don't seem as susceptible to the whole play dumb thing, haha.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hi :)

I'm in North Jersey also and picked my Abarth up on Thursday. I agree with you....the best thing ever!

The dealer I bought it from put it in a plate frame and attached it directly to the back of the car. It's where your permanent plate will go as well. It should have come with the bolts for it too.

I've attached a photo.
Congrats on the Abarth! Hopefully all of us New Jerseyans can get our cars together at some point.

Thanks for the photo- very helpful. I think I am missing those two holes at the center-ish top. That's how the plates in my other car attach as well. Might be time for an email to the dealer since I don't see any bolts either.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First...you look very cute in your new car.. Are you married??? Nah..Grandpa Bill just messing with you. So here we go.
First, get an Allen wrench or Hex Screw driver and remove the two hex screws AND washers from the back of you car. Do not drill any holes in your car.
Second. With your plate holder on the ground, punch two holes with an ice pick in the two small dimples located on top of plate holder.
Third . Attach your plate holder back onto your car using the two hex screws and washers, making sure the washers are located on the outside, so you can see them, side of the holder. Those washers are used to hold the plate holder to the car. Screw the Allen/ hex screws into the holes that you removed them from with the place holder.
Fourth. Go get some Plastic Cling Wrap and wrap you temp tag tightly and staple the cling wrap to the temp tag on the back side of the temp tag and try to make it water tight.
Last. Now remember those two holes you made with the ice pick?? Line up your temp tag and slip it on the two bottom lips that are on your plate holder, then line up the two holes on the top of your temp tag with the two holes you made.
Do NOT use any LONG screws to attach your temp tag to the holder. Install two screws with washers to the tamp tag and tap into the two holes you made. Use wood screws or self taping bolts...short ones.. Make sure you use some washers on those two top screws to hold temp tag to plate holder.

That should do it. When you go to attach your permanent license to the holder, I suggest you go to Home Depot or Lowes and get some Security Screws, and the tool you need to attach it with. Makes it a lot harder for some AHole or steal your plate. Just a suggestion.
Grandpa Bill
Austin tx.
Welcome to the forums.;);)
Thank you for your help! I went out to my car with the intent of following your directions perfectly, but it looks like the plate holder is just a tad bit smaller and won't line up properly with the hex screws (photo below, the photo is upside down for some strange reason but you get the idea). I think from reading the other comments that what I took a photo of/ found in the trunk was a front plate holder. I will absolutely wrap the temp tag in cling wrap though it keep it protected. Great idea.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Congrats on the car, i think your dealer should put the rear bracket on for you. You don't need to drill the front so dont let them do that, you can order a tow hook license plate bracket for the front to save your bumper.

I bought mine from larchmont ny, i had a paper temp like yours. I taped it to the inside front passenger side windshield. Had no issues from the cops.
Thanks! I think I might just do this for the time being. I'm worried though that any cop behind me is going to pull me over if they don't see some kind of plate though (although I think I'll be fine once they walk up and see it in the windshield). Did you ever come across a situation where a cop pulled up behind you?

Hopefully my permanent tags will be in in no time, but I'd still like to avoid being pulled over of course.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Welcome to the forum. Two things: Yes, tape the temp tag to the inside of your windshield on the right side, so it does not obscure your vision. Second, tell the dealer to attach the rear plate bracket. If they resist, tell them that the DMV told you that they will do it.

I agree that you are attractive enough to get out of a ticket, if you get pulled over with the roof lowered, but that won't always work. Like Grandpa Bill, I am way too old to worry about being politically correct when it comes to attractive women. Also, my wife understands.
Hah, thanks! Yes the last time I was pulled over was in a corvette and I think it made the cops day giving me a ticket, so I don't think I want to chance it haha. I just reached out to the dealer about it now. The dealer is far away but maybe he can get the local dealer to do it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ah okay, it definitely makes more sense that the holder I have is for a front plate. Thank you very much. I've just emailed the dealer and I am going to buy some of those rubber feet now so the paint stays perfect.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
283 Posts
We were faced with the same problem. Big difference is you drove yours home an additional 100 mile on the same day and same rain storm as us. The dealer installed a rear plate frame advertising them. I pulled the thin tag off the window, gave it a wrap of Saran Wrap and punched two holes for the bolts. It fit inside the dealers plate frame just perfectly.

My lovely Wife's first car was a 124. Her kind and generous husband bought her another one Friday. She got the 124, I got the Abarth, Recaros and Brembos....That and the matital right to wash it when dirty.;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts