Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for something more suitable for moderate track use, while still being streetable. Is anyone running more aggressive pads or brake fluid on their 124?

·
Registered
209 Posts
I don't think that enough good has been said of the standard brakes. I love their linearity and feel on the street. And I was also impressed to see that the Bondurant Trackside cars have standard brakes. We were asked by the instructor to avoid holding the brakes on hot rotors when stopped (to avoid warping), but there were no issues with fade or smell at any point during our day-long class. Granted, most exercises were short, and only once did we run without stopping for more than 20 minutes, or so, but the brakes remained strong.
How did the brakes feel during your chase of the X1/9?

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used the standard brake pads for my Fiat's first three full track events (plus driving around in between events). Twice at Laguna Seca and once at Thunderhill.

After that, the front brake pads were quite worn down. I replaced them with Porterfield R4-1 pads before moving over to the 6 piston Wilwoods. Very grippy, but they do dust since they are a track pad.

Yeah, the best thing I tell people when instructing at the track is to use wheel chocks when done with your session. Don't hold your brakes or use your parking brake after your session.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
The standard brakes are quite good, and certainly just fine for street and light track duty. Improved fluid and pads will make them even better for track action. Now if I was going to run a 20 min session at a fast track, and really wanted some fast lap times I would switch out for Wilwoods. Short of that, I think I would keep the stock brakes and maybe upgrade the pads.

Here is what we have for the stock brakes: https://shopeurocompulsion.net/collections/fiat-124-braking-1

Greg

1 - 5 of 5 Posts