Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep, I know the storage bin key is part of the electronic fob, but I would like a separate key rather than taking the fob apart when I need the key. Can a locksmith copy that key? My local hardware store could not.

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I copied the key, but if you open the doors with it, good luck the ALARM GOES ON.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, good to know, thanks.

Steve.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Storage bin lock isn't very secure!

Yep, I know the storage bin key is part of the electronic fob, but I would like a separate key rather than taking the fob apart when I need the key. Can a locksmith copy that key? My local hardware store could not.

Thanks,
Steve.
Hi Steve, I also looked into a getting a replacement key for the storage compartment. It isn't a multi-lever lock as per the doors, it's a simple single lever which can be locked and unlocked with anything that will fit into the slot! I used a radio removal tool I had in my toolbox. See photo of how simple a 'key' it is against the main car door lock key.

As a lock it will stop someone looking in but not much use if someone thinks there might be valuables inside.

Danny.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi Steve, I also looked into a getting a replacement key for the storage compartment. It isn't a multi-lever lock as per the doors, it's a simple single lever which can be locked and unlocked with anything that will fit into the slot! I used a radio removal tool I had in my toolbox. See photo of how simple a 'key' it is against the main car door lock key.

As a lock it will stop someone looking in but not much use if someone thinks there might be valuables inside.

Danny.
No-freakin'-way! Nice. Okay, well, nothing valuable will be "locked" in there. Thanks.

Steve.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
I haven't considered locking it. My feeling is that if someone has already entered the car, locking that space guarantees entry with as much force as can be applied. Right now I have a few pieces of hard candy and a tire pressure guage stored in it. Our cars are not very secure.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Valuable stuff you put it in the trunk.

·
Registered
476 Posts

Danny.
i suspected as much, thanks for sharing

·
Registered
232 Posts
I've got a rubber

>:)>:)>:)
I haven't considered locking it. My feeling is that if someone has already entered the car, locking that space guarantees entry with as much force as can be applied. Right now I have a few pieces of hard candy and a tire pressure guage stored in it. Our cars are not very secure.
Best regards
Pete
Rattlesnake in mine. You can get them at Dollar General or Dollar store. I figure if someone is in my car rummaging through my glove compartment, the least I can do is scare the S*!T out of the no good SOB.:D

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
>:)>:)>:)

Rattlesnake in mine. You can get them at Dollar General or Dollar store. I figure if someone is in my car rummaging through my glove compartment, the least I can do is scare the S*!T out of the no good SOB.:D
OH! Mad idea- secure your rattlesnake to the guts of a Jack-in-the-box and mount it in the storage bin!

Steve.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts