Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bird poop on the soft top, and the droppings left spots on the top that didn't clean up at the car wash. Stained? What can be done to clean this up? This poor 124 lives outside.

:(

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
:(

·
Registered
242 Posts
Have you tried some 303 convertible top cleaner and a soft bristle brush? Interested if that could work.

If that does work, I'd recommend applying 303 fabric guard after to prevent future absorption.

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll look into those products. This is my first convertible, so I'm clueless LOL. Thanks!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Shark...had this happen to me as well. Was able to remove the mess with Rag top cleaner. I then immediately ordered the top cover and use it all the time. ****, the cover even keeps the interior cool.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The ragg top cleaner works very well to take some of the stains like bird poop off. Use a soft bristled brush.

The protectant I,m not as happy with. It works but not as well as advertised. I had to use fairly heavy coats to get it to really work. Also, when it says wipe off overspray immediately, they mean it. Don't let it dry on windows, for example. I had some overspray on the back window and needed 'goof off' to get it off.

When this can runs out I might try 303. Also, a lint roller is a good thing to have to keep it looking deep black. Dust, fluff, dog hair, pollen, cat hair, gorilla fur, all floating in the air stick to the top like crazy.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Shark...this is all you need..

I'll look into those products. This is my first convertible, so I'm clueless LOL. Thanks!
Get the Horse Hair brush at Chemical Guys, the Meguiers at WallMart, and the 303 at West Marine, or Amazon. Wash top with the Meguiers, and Horse Hair brush,and let it dry, then pour some 303 in a Dixie Cup, and apply with a cheap Home Depot paint brush. DO not
Drown it, just apply liberal strokes, and let dry.

Good luck. Not Sure

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Shark...had this happen to me as well. Was able to remove the mess with Rag top cleaner. I then immediately ordered the top cover and use it all the time. ****, the cover even keeps the interior cool.
I’m interested in the top cover you mention. Can you provide a link or information?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have had good results letting the dropping dry and then simply brushing with a fairly stiff bristle brush I got for a couple of bucks at Walmart. The next wash should get anything left although the brushing usually gets it all. I had terrible results with the Chemical Guys horse brush. It left horse bristles everywhere on the canvas and this took 10 times as long to clean than the dropping.

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts
... pour some 303 in a Dixie Cup, and apply with a cheap Home Depot paint brush. DO not Drown it, just apply liberal strokes, and let dry.
Which specific 303 product are you referring to? When I looked on Amazon, they seem to make a good dozen different types of cleaning and protecting products. I'm using Meguiars softtop cleaner, which I love... but am looking for a spray on (pump preferred over aerosol) rain repellent/protectant solution. Which 303 product did you use?

·
Registered
975 Posts
Which specific 303 product are you referring to? When I looked on Amazon, they seem to make a good dozen different types of cleaning and protecting products. I'm using Meguiars softtop cleaner, which I love... but am looking for a spray on (pump preferred over aerosol) rain repellent/protectant solution. Which 303 product did you use?

@CDPond
Dont be surprised if you dont get a response from the original poster when resurrecting old threads.
Looking at his picture i think this is what he used.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2656540

·
Premium Member
1,355 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
For bird sh__t that won't come off your top

After cleaning as best as you can, use a permanent flat black marks-a-lot pen, the ones with a wide applicator. Disappears like magic. I use old school 3M Scotchguard on the top. Works great and I apply a light coat every six months with the aerosol, after a good cleaning and vacuuming. Water beads like crazy. Also use it on my cloth Classico seats and couch at home! I guess I should use it on my shirt before eating great Texas BBQ soaked in BBQ sauce!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts