Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone having issues with their BSM? Mine stay on nearly all the time, even when there is no car within sight on either side of me. For example, just now i was on the highway with both lanes to the left and right of me clear. no car behind me in my lane, the left or right lane for at least 100 yards and the BSM just stays on.

even when i am in the far right lane with a full size shoulder, the BSM stays on. It turns on and off somewhat randomly. However, it does work, in that if a car is in my blind spot, it always alerts me. It just also stays on and has many false alerts (nearly constant).

Anyone else having this issue?

Car is completely stock. No impacts to fenders etc, no bumper stickers. Car is clean, no dirt etc.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Mine beeps occasionally when no one is there -- false positives, but it doesn't occur often and it doesn't stay on.

Reactions: SteveWy

·
Registered
351 Posts
As far as I know, there is no adjustment of the sensitivity in the controls. It sounds like you've got a problem with a sensor. I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it.

·
Registered
534 Posts
As far as I know, there is no adjustment of the sensitivity in the controls. It sounds like you've got a problem with a sensor. I would take it in to the dealer and have them look at it.

I agree. Mine has worked flawlessly since I've had the car.

·
Registered
660 Posts
Do you happen to have your mirrors adjusted out more then normal? I usually adjust my mirrors out to see the entire lane next to me. With my mirrors adjusted that way, my blind spot monitor went off constantly. I believe that things like trees, utility poles, and mail boxes were setting it off. I adjusted the mirrors inward and the problem went away.

The blind spot detection still goes off occasionally. If I am taking a turn in a spot with two turn lanes and my turn signal is on, it will go off, and sometimes when I am taking a right turn it will sense something on the side of the road.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I wondered the same whether the adjustment of the mirrors was causing this. I turned them in ever so slightly to the point where I could just see the side of the car in the mirror and the issue did not improve.

It's odd since it's happening on both sides - so it feels more like a setting than a faulty sensor.

I'll have them check when I bring it in for the first service.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I would love to know the factory testing procedures for the BSM and Rear sensors.

This would help answer all our concerns with the BSM and rear back up
Sensors.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Mine BSM works flawlessly, love it. Wish it was on all my vehicles.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
211 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up Thinc2,...glad to hear its not just me.

I find the rears sensors extremely accurate ( but kind of redundant with the rear view camera), but I have no faith in the blind spot monitoring.
I too have the sensors going off constantly and am so tired of them "crying wolf" that I completely ignore the system now. Thank god you can turn off the beep!
I never tried readjusting my mirrors so I will see if that affects things. I would hope it doesn't becuase a BSM system should be checking the actual blindspot and not care where your mirror is pointed.
I tend to have my mirrors pointed out fairly wide (can't see the side of the car) and down fairly low (don't care whats happening in the sky). The system seems to really have a problem if I am driving in the right hand lane and if there is a concrete median barrier way off to the left.
Nevertheless, I will try to readjust my mirrors to see if it improves things just for curiosity sake, but even if it does, I will still set my mirrors the way that I want them for me and then continue to ignore the BSM.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Thanks for bringing this up Thinc2,...glad to hear its not just me.

I find the rears sensors extremely accurate ( but kind of redundant with the rear view camera), but I have no faith in the blind spot monitoring.
I too have the sensors going off constantly and am so tired of them "crying wolf" that I completely ignore the system now. Thank god you can turn off the beep!
I never tried readjusting my mirrors so I will see if that affects things. I would hope it doesn't becuase a BSM system should be checking the actual blindspot and not care where your mirror is pointed.
I tend to have my mirrors pointed out fairly wide (can't see the side of the car) and down fairly low (don't care whats happening in the sky). The system seems to really have a problem if I am driving in the right hand lane and if there is a concrete median barrier way off to the left.
Nevertheless, I will try to readjust my mirrors to see if it improves things just for curiosity sake, but even if it does, I will still set my mirrors the way that I want them for me and then continue to ignore the BSM.
Adjusting the mirrors won't affect the sensing as the BSM (radar) sensors are located in the rear bumper area and are fixed. Have to say that so far the BSM has worked perfectly on my 124. Can only speculate as to what you're seeing - perhaps interference from other car radars (doubtful) or reflections off the barriers? But if the barrier is on the left when you're in the right lane that wouldn't make sense.

Do you have anything covering the bumper cover on the corners or is it dirty? (Also should point out just in case that the BSM radar assemblies are not visible but the ultrasonic sensors are visible - didn't want these two confused.)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nope - rear bumper is clean and nothing covering anything. Suspect will need to have dealer look at it when i go in for first service.

·
Registered
185 Posts
My BSM has gone just the opposite. It rarely comes on when it should. The back up radar and the cross traffic work great. I'm thinking it may be a programming glitch.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Here's some strange information. I have a Max power piggyback tuner in my car. When in sports and sports plus mode the BSM acts up. In ECO mode it works as it should. I am pretty sure this is not a programmed in feature of the ECM.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My BSM works great. I mostly appreciate it on those few occasions that the top is up. It's nice that the beep can be adjusted. The Cross Traffic alert comes in handy when I go to back out of a straight in parking stall and large SUV's are parked on either side of me blocking the field of vision. The backup camera handles the view directly behind the car, but doesn't show what's coming from the side before it gets there.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Just to add my experience to this thread, last night while driving home my BSM lit up 3 times when no one else was close to me on a deserted state road. First time I was braking coming around a curve fairly aggressively (actually,quite aggressively). This is the first extended night trip in my Lusso so I am not overly concerned and think it was some sort of reflection the sensor picked up. BSM has always worked when it is supposed to. AS I said, I'm not concerned but wanted to share and see any possible comments.

Bill B.

·
Registered
2,214 Posts
I get some false positives on the driver's side, but not enough for me to worry about. I'd still rather have it than not.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I get some false positives on the driver's side, but not enough for me to worry about. I'd still rather have it than not.
I didn't mention that the false indications were all on the drivers side. Like you, I am not worried about it and the BSM is definitely a good thing to have with the large blind spot with the top up.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Funny you say that.
I have driven my 124 literally once. On the way home from the dealer to put it into storage for the winter. The whole way home about 80% of the time the mirror showed somebody in my blind spot along with the beep when I tried to signal but there was nobody anywhere near me. On the very rare occasion it would function normally but then go back to being always on. I don't recall if it was the passenger side or not but definitely the driver side was doing that.
I'm fully expecting when I take the car out in the spring to have the same problem. Curious to see how the dealer has managed it for anyone

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Funny you say that.
I have driven my 124 literally once. On the way home from the dealer to put it into storage for the winter. The whole way home about 80% of the time the mirror showed somebody in my blind spot along with the beep when I tried to signal but there was nobody anywhere near me. On the very rare occasion it would function normally but then go back to being always on. I don't recall if it was the passenger side or not but definitely the driver side was doing that.
I'm fully expecting when I take the car out in the spring to have the same problem. Curious to see how the dealer has managed it for anyone
I still have the same issue, on both sides and just deal with it. Dealer said they did a test drive and it didn't happen (which is possible, because it is intermittent for me).

If anyone ever finds a fix, please let me know.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts