Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

So, because I am planning on keeping this car longterm and because I almost never drive with the car's top down, I was considering purchasing a hardtop and then having it painted to match the tri-coat white pearl paint that the car is. Has anyone done this?

Also, that aside, has anyone purchased a hardtop in the first place here? The pictures are limited, although one of the companies that makes the hard tops for these cars is in Oceanside, California, which is about a thirty minute drive from where I live and I suppose I could go down there to ask to see the top in person because in pictures the proportions seem a bit off, but the pictures, again, are very limited and only certain angles are shot and they are shot poorly.

I have heard/read that there was an OEM hardtop that was available in the European market but I couldn't find any links to it at all, just aftermarket carbon fiber options and I don't particularly like the look of carbon fiber as I think the trend of having exposed carbon fiber all over one's car has passed and now it just looks a bit played out.

Anyhow, anyone with pictures of either the OEM or an aftermarket hardtop?

Thanks!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you lost me there. Putting the top down is a major reason why most people get a Spider. Good luck in your quest.
haha, so i really liked the way the car looks, but i'm 35 and i've already had a cancer scare as my family is prone to skin cancer. i've had a carcinoma removed and went through a bit of radiation. so it's advised that i not expose myself to the sun as much as possible.

thus, the car is driven with the top up for the vast majority of the time - nearly exclusively.

i really do think the car is beautifully designed, though, and that's what drew me to it. i was originally considering an mx-5 rf, but i couldn't get over the miata's styling, so i went with this beauty.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Evening and night time drives with he top down are delightful. I appreciate your situation with sun exposure, but after the sun sets, drop the top and enjoy.
yep, those are the times when i can enjoy the top down. either in the very early morning when i'm making my way to work as the sun is barely rising (right now i'm working from home bc of covid) or in the evening at around dusk. i tend not to drive the car when it's totally night, i'll drive my other car just because it's more comfortable climate-wise during the hotter summer nights here in southern california.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Looks for posts from @Santtu he has the OE GT hardtop, maybe someone can Photoshop you a tri-coat pearlescent white one?

Reactions: Davy Jordi

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
another thing that i was thinking of doing is replacing the black top with the red top from the red top lusso edition as i think it would look really striking and contrast very well with the pearlescent white. here is the site that i found 2016 thru 2019 Fiat 124 Spider CS4 (Abarth, Classica, Lusso) - Convertible Tops & Accessories | TopsOnline

i was thinking of the darker red color (dark cherry) as i think it approximates the OEM top (which i can't find online but i'll look a bit more). the price seems reasonable, no?

·
Registered
286 Posts
Here is a photoshop of what was a carbon fiber topped Fiat 124 modified to white

Carbon fiber is stupid expensive, seems almost a shame to have to buy a carbon fiber top then paint it so it looks like fiberglass, but I will admit that body matching doesn't look half bad.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here is a photoshop of what was a carbon fiber topped Fiat 124 modified to white
View attachment 78341
Carbon fiber is stupid expensive, seems almost a shame to have to buy a carbon fiber top then paint it so it looks like fiberglass, but I will admit that body matching doesn't look half bad.
thanks for doing that. i agree that carbon fibre is really expensive and it almost seems not worth it to spend like 5k on a carbon fibre roof plus paint. i feel also that the car doesn't look as attractive with the hardtop as it just wasn't designed for it and the roof does look aftermarket.

it makes more sense to just work with another color soft top, e.g., the red top lusso edition's top. it would look pretty nice contrasting against the pearl white.

·
Registered
286 Posts
thanks for doing that. i agree that carbon fibre is really expensive and it almost seems not worth it to spend like 5k on a carbon fibre roof plus paint. i feel also that the car doesn't look as attractive with the hardtop as it just wasn't designed for it and the roof does look aftermarket.

it makes more sense to just work with another color soft top, e.g., the red top lusso edition's top. it would look pretty nice contrasting against the pearl white.
Have you priced a replacement top for the Fiat? It will be cheaper than a carbon fiber hard top and paint but not by a lot.
Aftermarket tops go for about $1300 and up not including installation.Getting one from Fiat, if available is considerably more.
The red topped Lusso is so rare that finding one in a junk yard is going to be a real scavenger hunt..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Have you priced a replacement top for the Fiat? It will be cheaper than a carbon fiber hard top and paint but not by a lot.
Aftermarket tops go for about $1300 and up not including installation.Getting one from Fiat, if available is considerably more.
The red topped Lusso is so rare that finding one in a junk yard is going to be a real scavenger hunt..
yeah, i found a red top manufacturer that makes them to order which is the route that i would go if i were to buy another colored soft top. the prices on the hardtops are stupid expensive and they aren't proportioned correctly. i would definitely buy out of that california company that i linked to here earlier in the thread.

edit: i just looked back and saw that i didn't link the the aftermarket manufacturer, but we both found the same manufacturer - have the same company bookmarked. a dark red top would look sooooo good against a white car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts