Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed there is a light in the boot with a flip switch. If i leave this switched on, will it go off when the boot lid is closed?

Thanks

·
Registered
476 Posts
Yes the light switch settings are off or auto which is off when trunk/boot lid is closed

·
Registered
304 Posts
That built-in light is a bit weak, at least for my taste. I ordered and installed one of the lights that forum member @ameridan described in his article on putting a shelf into the glove box. Works great, and much better illumination, partially because it is mounted right behind the trunk lid, shining its light dow (vs the sidewall-mounted built-in light).

Thx, S

Reactions: Ken8246

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I put one there too. They're a great product.

At first I replaced the regular trunk light with a LED bulb, but it starts flashing after a minute or two, so I put the regular bulb back in. I don't know if it's because they are cheap and overheat or if the module that controls it just expects the current draw of the regular bulb.

·
Registered
727 Posts
That built-in light is a bit weak, at least for my taste. I ordered and installed one of the lights that forum member @ameridan described in his article on putting a shelf into the glove box. Works great, and much better illumination, partially because it is mounted right behind the trunk lid, shining its light dow (vs the sidewall-mounted built-in light).

Thx, S
Yes, the factory trunk light is so dim it's almost useless. I have that very light on order (for my custom acrylic "Ameridan" cubby shelf, which looks great by the way). When I get the new light out of the box I'll test it in the trunk and possibly order a second one. I assume the motion detector works well in your placement location? Great idea.

Reactions: ameridan

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes, the factory trunk light is so dim it's almost useless. I have that very light on order (for my custom acrylic "Ameridan" cubby shelf, which looks great by the way). When I get the new light out of the box I'll test it in the trunk and possibly order a second one. I assume the motion detector works well in your placement location? Great idea.
Yes, works quite well, the entire trunk is lit well. Very noticeable step-up from existing trunk light. Only 'downside' (maybe handicap would be more appropriate) is that the light does not come on when the trunk lid is opened immediately, but requires motion inside the trunk to activate. Small movement within range of the motion detector will trigger it, merely sticking the hand in the trunk is sufficient. FWIW, same applies if mounting this light in the cubby.

Thx, S

Reactions: LongBeachJim

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
I remember where opening the hood, there was this capsule filled with mercury (silver liquid) as soon the hood came into an angle it would make contact and light would light. Today maybe there other devices that do the same funtion.

Another idea is to take that source live wire in the trunk, send one wire to glove compartment(to light it) and another to the trunk( trunk hood) and add Led stripes with a switches. Since LED stripes are 12V.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some good ideas here. I agree the existing bulb is very weak. Ive order one of the lights ameridan recommended. Only £5.97 postage free on UK Amazon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts