Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fitted a set of these today (the ones fitted to the Alfa 4C, Giulietta QV etc).

Nothing wrong with old coils, but with my incoming EC Phase 1 and a slightly rough idle and 5k hesitation with my current piggy back i thought for £150 (Opie Oils) it was worth it.

• Idle better. I drive this car daily in all weathers and know exactly how it starts and idles. Certainly smoother
  • Better pulling away in first - used to be a bit stuttery when cold
  • Not sure on 5k hesitation yet....but that should hopefully clear up with the proper ECU flash.
Anyway, in my view, 100% worth it. No perf gains from what I can tell, just a much nicer drive. (I have the gapped plugs as well, fitted abiout 10k miles ago

)

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Yep, did the same thing,my original coil packs worked fine but I read about problems occuring later on with some coil packs, plus, I had always changed the old plug 5-6 mm leads to 8-10 mm along with better plugs to achieve a bigger spark, so changing to performance coil packs seemed the way to go. The Spider "always" performs "Spot On" .

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yep, did the same thing,my original coil packs worked fine but I read about problems occuring later on with some coil packs, plus, I had always changed the old plug 5-6 mm leads to 8-10 mm along with better plugs to achieve a bigger spark, so changing to performance coil packs seemed the way to go. The Spider "always" performs "Spot On" .
Good to know ! Seems good so far

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Let me know if this fixes your breakup at 5k. I still have stock coils and will be adding the EC tune shortly.
Not sure Opie Oils supply to the USA but those 4C's seem really good value...I bought mine "on sale" from "Madness" USA but having them shipped to the UK cost 20% of price so bumped it up. They are Red Topped Madness own brand, but actually "it is said" that they are Bosch 4C same anyway....I think I remember reading something about them being, not better than but also not worse than ...could have been Dan in 21st century.........here's a pic.....
IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me know if this fixes your breakup at 5k. I still have stock coils and will be adding the EC tune shortly.
I've just had it out this eve and I would say it seems better. I was very familiar with the slight drop at 5k and seems like this has reduced it..

I know the piggyback just ramps the mid range to give 300nm and then basically does nothing extra over 5k unlike the proper EC flash. So no doubt that's partly to.blame.

However beyond doubt is the improvement to slow speed driving and pickup - no cold jerking and super smooth.!

I'll let you know what I find.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Stock coils has no issues supporting my tune. They do not need to be upgraded just let everyone know. Records no misfire w/e , only thing you need is closer gapped plugs (not colder plugs)

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Stock coils has no issues supporting my tune. They do not need to be upgraded just let everyone know. Records no misfire w/e , only thing you need is closer gapped plugs (not colder plugs)
That's good! As I say, I upgraded partly due to price and also as I read these bosch units can help with idle and low speed smoothness. Both of which are improved no doubt. Maybe I had a dodgy oem coil.....

The fact they are recommended for tunes is a bonus. But i cant see it hurts especially paired with gapped plugs and the relatively low price!

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Definitely doesn’t hurt. I jumped on a used set.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Did you notice anything? In particular running phase 3 with all the mods ?
i didn’t notice anything, but I couldn’t pass up the deal.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I use the NGK SIKR9A7 gapped to 0.024 by EC. Fine on stock tune. At least I had no issues. The ngk 93618 also work but have a shorter life.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm usually very practical about mods, but I admit to being tempted on buying the Madness coils because they are red and aesthetically pleasing. I removed the engine cover silly piece of plastic so that is the first thing I see.

I'm resisting as much as possible but the longer I'm sitting at home the more likely it becomes. :-/

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
Well if you have read my comment above (photo) you will know that they are Bosch anyway, just Madness design and WORK PERFECTLY...........I got mine during a discount offer which assisted in me paying 20% import duties. I also pulled off that waste of time piece of plastic, it hangs on the garage wall just in case I ever (God Forbid) sold my Spider, and yes...the engine bay now looks the Dogs B*ll*ck* and I am happy. Now may well be a good time to look for a discount from madness as orders may well be down, sad for those losing jobs but will make you Happy, and Madness keep going, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just to add. You can get bosch coils with correct part number online for less than the Alfa 4c branded ones. Same coil pack. I got set of 4 for 150 odd quid.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
@Greg had a great post a long time back about who made which coil packs, or who was using which design. Bosch in the case of Alfa 4C, someone else in the case of Ngen coil packs, and I recall that there was more info, but I cannot find the post. I question whether the Madness red top coil packs are Bosch and would like to see a source on that info.

·
Premium Member
835 Posts
@Greg had a great post a long time back about who made which coil packs, or who was using which design. Bosch in the case of Alfa 4C, someone else in the case of Ngen coil packs, and I recall that there was more info, but I cannot find the post. I question whether the Madness red top coil packs are Bosch and would like to see a source on that info.
Hi, Yes I bought my Madness Red Tops following reading a thread in which you commented having bought the Ngen packs, it was called, "Anyone using those hot red Madness coil packs" by Fiatbreath. Dan commented about his first set of initial batch failing, which Madness confirmed as a fault and replaced, Dan also said about 4c packs being made by Bosch then Eurocompulsion wrote about them being no better than Ngen. I set off studying it all before buying and also read "somewhere" (21st Century 124 Spider I thought, not sure) that they were basically all the same, just Madness Red Top or Bosch but Madness said that they had them made up, so could have been Madness themselves..I really don't know. Dan did write later that the second set worked well and my own, with 1000 miles on them now are also great. I suppose as long as we are all happy with our choice, whatever that is, all is well that ends well, Cheers
ron

1 - 20 of 23 Posts