Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any initial suggestions on first mods that easily achievable and improve the car?

Also, any suggestions on protecting this car out of the gate?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Here is what I've installed, in no particular order (just how I remember them):

Bought from EuroCompulsion-
V1 air intake tube (greater air volume, and cooler air, into the turbo)
aFe dry air filter (at least as good, or better filtration than the stock filter, and flows more air)
*With these first two, I guess I've allowed the engine to produce a few more HP, and a few more torques (as the nimrods on Grand Tour and Top Gear say)
GFB DV+ diverter valve (stocker is known to be a poorly built part)
Oil catch can (to keep crankcase oil vapors from getting into the turbo and maybe even the air filter)
Cravenspeed Stubby radio antenna (to shorten the radio antenna from 16-18" down to about 4-5".

From PTP-
PTP turbo blanket (for me, to do nothing more than protect the surrounding parts from the heat of the turbo)

From Me-
Homemade wood gearshift knob for my manual trans. gear shift lever (for aesthetics, and to make the car different from every other car in the world)
Loaded up a USB jack music storage device with a bunch of tunes from my old CD library (personal enjoyment while driving)

For long term engine protection, in my own opinion, I also changed the engine oil and filter early on (by 1000 miles) to flush out any break-in junk or manufacturing debris that could still be in there somewhere.

I think that's been about it for me. Get out there and have a good time!

Steve.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
See my signature for links to my car and build thread.

·
Registered
61 Posts
I had my Rosso Red Abarth protected with Cquartz Professional. My detailer was amazed at how many scratches and swirls it had on delivery, likely from the morons at the port/and or the dealers wash crew. I think it is a good investment for a fabulous look on a perfect car.
Check the internet for a dealer near you, or look at mine @ Michalskidetailing.com

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had my Rosso Red Abarth protected with Cquartz Professional. My detailer was amazed at how many scratches and swirls it had on delivery, likely from the morons at the port/and or the dealers wash crew. I think it is a good investment for a fabulous look on a perfect car.
Check the internet for a dealer near you, or look at mine @ Michalskidetailing.com
Is that some type of protectant, wax etc. How much is it to apply ?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Welcome to the forum...terrific group of Spider enthusiasts. Focusing on the turbo engine and the need for unrestricted air, I added the GFB-DV+ & V1 (Eurocompulsion) and GW quad exhaust system (Good-Win Racing). Also replaced stock antenna w/a stubby. Enjoy the ride...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
All pending what you want to do, but think ahead, you rather go slow and sure, then buy items and sell them at discount cause you want more power.

Basic changes,
DV+ diverter
V1 will work fine with stock filter
oil catch can (check the posts)
Radio update and Infontainment mod, send Ameridan some $contrib(don't be stingy, value of a Latte)
Yes a good wax, Megueiar Ultimate, Carefull wear sun glasses, it may affect your vision due to the luster.

OH one last thing, DRIVE IT

·
Registered
544 Posts
If you want to keep it for a long time, protect it right from the start. Get some protective film applied and Nano ceramic paint treatment. Then paint will last a lot longer and it will be eaiser to clean and maintain.

Next, you can think of performance upgrades but these are secondary to me. Stock, while not a rocket, the car is very fun to drive.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Wolft, I went to see the guy at vitroplus, initially he quoted me $325. then when we took the measurement of the front bumper, the guy wanted $450. he said too much material and but the guy at Vitroplus told lot of wasted material, which you could use elsewhere. At the end I told the guy, $450, I could repaint the bumber with that amount. The guy at vitroplus agreed.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Wolft, I went to see the guy at vitroplus, initially he quoted me $325. then when we took the measurement of the front bumper, the guy wanted $450. he said too much material and but the guy at Vitroplus told lot of wasted material, which you could use elsewhere. At the end I told the guy, $450, I could repaint the bumber with that amount. The guy at vitroplus agreed.
That's a good price. I got 450$ for the front bumper, side skirts, lower rear bumper and lower doors edge. No invoice, no taxes. I'm happy to have done it because I already get some light scratches on my front bumper. I suppose this is someone that bump it at my workplace parking lot...

·
Registered
206 Posts
Drive it?
Same. Got my manual Abarth last Wednesday - and of course we had, starting Wednesday afternoon, four straight days of almost wall to wall rain. I finally got to drive around with the top down Sunday afternoon and only for a few minutes although I drove into work yesterday and this morning with open air. Lovely!

I did have ample time to wash and wax it, discovered a nice "artifact" for lack of a better word on the front end by the nose. Definitely was there at delivery but go prove it to the dealer now. It's not immediately obvious but when you wax the car you tend to notice these things like a ridge along the edge of the car's nose.

Also it appears to be some kind of a bird poop magnet! Maybe the red color scares them? Who knows...

Mine came with a steering wheel club from the dealer. Not currently using it as I find it defeats the keyless entry purpose, although I might start to keep it in the car and use it if I park in some sketchy area - not that it makes any difference, if someone wants your car they'll get your car.

Glad to have found this community - thanks for all the info and cheers!

·
Registered
144 Posts
I don' think it needs performance upgrades, so my changes in the first week were:

- Stubby antenna - such a difference for $25...
- Cravenspeed Iphone holder that fits in the passenger cup holder. (almost $100, but worth it).
- Loaded Nav SD card purchased from ebay for $130.
- Clear bra for full front, except over the matte heritage stripe (will make it shiny and won't match the back).
- Treated roof with 303.
- Figured out how to remove 303 overspray from windows (use vinegar)
- Matte paint cleaner/protection is on enroute and will be applied soon (Dr. Beasley coating)
- Scheduled for major stereo upgrade - new speakers, sound deadening in doors and adding an amp.
- Scheduled to remove the styrofoam lump in passenger side to free up leg room.
- Next up: Probably an OBD reader
- Under consideration: Window tint

Purchased but currently not using: That extra storage bin that slides in-between the center console and edge of passenger seat. Am finding the car has enough storage space for me.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
- Scheduled to remove the styrofoam lump in passenger side to free up leg room.
Hey, are you doing this yourself, or hiring it out? If you are up to it, a "how to" of the removal process would be great, with photos. Especially the part of dealing with the floor carpet...

Steve.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Here is what I've installed, in no particular order (just how I remember them):

Bought from EuroCompulsion-
V1 air intake tube (greater air volume, and cooler air, into the turbo)
aFe dry air filter (at least as good, or better filtration than the stock filter, and flows more air)
*With these first two, I guess I've allowed the engine to produce a few more HP, and a few more torques (as the nimrods on Grand Tour and Top Gear say)
GFB DV+ diverter valve (stocker is known to be a poorly built part)
Oil catch can (to keep crankcase oil vapors from getting into the turbo and maybe even the air filter)
Cravenspeed Stubby radio antenna (to shorten the radio antenna from 16-18" down to about 4-5".

From PTP-
PTP turbo blanket (for me, to do nothing more than protect the surrounding parts from the heat of the turbo)

From Me-
Homemade wood gearshift knob for my manual trans. gear shift lever (for aesthetics, and to make the car different from every other car in the world)
Loaded up a USB jack music storage device with a bunch of tunes from my old CD library (personal enjoyment while driving)

For long term engine protection, in my own opinion, I also changed the engine oil and filter early on (by 1000 miles) to flush out any break-in junk or manufacturing debris that could still be in there somewhere.

I think that's been about it for me. Get out there and have a good time!

Steve.
Love the idea of the portable hard drive for music. I hadn't thought of that before. I suppose you see all of the song titles and options to skip. Thanks for the idea.

·
Registered
483 Posts
1) the diverter valve upgrade. the difference is night and day. this is one of the must do modifications. my choice was the GFB DV+.

2) exhaust modification. my choice is the GWR system. initially i purchased the non-resonated system.... sound was magnificant, but LOUD. i have since ordered a resonated mid pipe to add to the system.

3) still up on the air on maybe getting a set of TR Motorsport FF10 wheels 17x8 with some 235/40/17 shoes

4) considering the wilwood 6 piston front calipers and the wilwood 4 piston rear calipers.

i have no plans on lowering springs due to my experiences with driving my 05 Boxster S on the streets of new orleans.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Hey, are you doing this yourself, or hiring it out? If you are up to it, a "how to" of the removal process would be great, with photos. Especially the part of dealing with the floor carpet...

Steve.
Definitely not - having it done at the same time as the stereo. I don't want to screw around with it and would rather spend the time with my family or out riding my Moto Guzzi Stelvio (I see your profile pic :) )
Save

·
Registered
560 Posts

Steve.
Ameridan has an article on his blog about removing the wedge and it has some pics. In my case I actually had the sub and I had a friend of mine do it - he runs a shop that does car audio - and he said it was very easy to get the carpet to sit down in the space. He used the open bolt hole (from the wedge cover) and bolted down the carpet so it wouldn't rise up and one can't even see it. It looks terrific and my wife is amazed at the extra space. And, yes, I can finally ride as a passenger so I have to look for other excuses to make sure I'm driving. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I yanked that styro block yesterday. I'm sure other would have done a prettier job of it, but I followed AmeriDan's article the best the text would permit. I did slice up the carpet following the rough written method (photos showing exact cut lines would have resulted in a better carpet hacking), not a pretty job of that. Thank goodness for the floor mat.

The molded carpet wasn't very cooperative with allowing access to the foam block. I got the right side door threshold strip and side panel off easy-peasy, but the carpet just isn't very flexible or forgiving. And I wasn't going to go after removing panels on the left side of the footwell. I cut and snapped off the top "ears" of the foam block, that helped release it, but just plain ol' tugging finally got it out. But now folks taller than 5' tall will be able to relax their legs.

Steve.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts