Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang,

It started today I think... randomly when I drive the brake light on the dash will come on. When I put it down it goes away sometimes it just comes on and off randomly.

Handbrake is properly depressed, DRLs stay on when this happens. 2 weeks ago I did a front Wilwood brake swap lines and all. I kept the stock dot 3 brake fluid and topped it up after bleeding the air and all. Brakes are solid no give and no indication of brake fluid leakage.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Hi Gang,

It started today I think... randomly when I drive the brake light on the dash will come on. When I put it down it goes away sometimes it just comes on and off randomly.

Handbrake is properly depressed, DRLs stay on when this happens. 2 weeks ago I did a front Wilwood brake swap lines and all. I kept the stock dot 3 brake fluid and topped it up after bleeding the air and all. Brakes are solid no give and no indication of brake fluid leakage.

Any thoughts?
Handbrake light can also come on when brake fluid is low, the light will come on and off when the remaining brake fluid swirls and trips the sensor.

If you need new fluid, I recommend adding DOT 4 instead of DOT 3 because DOT 3 boils too easily on this car even though it's recommended. Putting DOT 3 in a car that needs DOT 4 is harmful but putting DOT 4 in a car that needs DOT 3 is not.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Handbrake light can also come on when brake fluid is low, the light will come on and off when the remaining brake fluid swirls and trips the sensor.

If you need new fluid, I recommend adding DOT 4 instead of DOT 3 because DOT 3 boils too easily on this car even though it's recommended. Putting DOT 3 in a car that needs DOT 4 is harmful but putting DOT 4 in a car that needs DOT 3 is not.
Thanks HaZ. Do I need to drain the DOT3 or can I just top it off with DOT4?

·
Registered
738 Posts
Thanks HaZ. Do I need to drain the DOT3 or can I just top it off with DOT4?
Mixing the two won't do any damage, but the boiling point of the mixed fluid will be between DOT 3 and DOT 4 so you won't get the full DOT 4 performance if you don't bleed the old fluid. If it's just for street driving though, you can get away with just topping it up and it will still last you a long time.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm doing a brembo swap this weekend so hopefully I will not be joining this club. Planning on bleeding the whole system and replacing with ATE 200 DOT4 brake fluid.

·
Registered
535 Posts
I'm doing a brembo swap this weekend so hopefully I will not be joining this club. Planning on bleeding the whole system and replacing with ATE 200 DOT4 brake fluid.
Did the Brembo swap recently and no brake lights. I added DOT3, street driving...

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've also seen the brake light flash on the dash randomly while accelerating..
I've experienced the same issue. The brake light comes on when accelerating and then goes off. Touchy

·
Registered
738 Posts
I've experienced the same issue. The brake light comes on when accelerating and then goes off. Touchy
Check your brake fluid level. Only two things can cause the light to come on, the hand brake sensor and the low brake fluid level sensor.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Have you done any brake work on your car at all?

@HaZ thanks for all the info!
IVe only rotated the tires.. No brake or wheel work besides. I think Ive used the parking break maybe once..

I do have the pedal pro from EC (I really like this product!), GFB DV+, and I installed an air filter.. Thats it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Anyone else experience the brake light coming on when accelerating? Happens frequently.. No noticeable drop off on acceleration.. the light just flashes on.. Doesnt happen every time.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Anyone else experience the brake light coming on when accelerating? Happens frequently.. No noticeable drop off on acceleration.. the light just flashes on.. Doesnt happen every time.
Hey your brake fluid levels might be low (likely a leak) Acceleration and the G Forces are moving the fluid around enough to push it off the sensor which is detecting a lack of fluid. Add brake fluid and see if you have leaks.

·
Registered
183 Posts
After 20k service which included replacing brake fluid I started seeing the brake light come on when going uphill or under hard acceleration. Brake fluid level showed as halfway between min and max line on the reservoir. After topping it off to the max line the brake warning light did not come back on. Not convinced I can/want to blame the dealer for it, as the amount of fluid was within spec. If anything I'm surprised how touchy-finicky the sensor seems to be. Where is that bugger anyways, anybody know?

Thx, S

1 - 17 of 17 Posts