Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Still looking and learning about these things, and now I've
Seen catch cans with little breather filters on the top. Are these legal??
Will I pass inspection in Texas?? Does it suck clean air in or does it expell oiled air to the atmosphere?? What effect does this have on crankcase pressure?

Thanks for all replies...Not Sure :confused::confused:

·
Administrator
1,923 Posts
Everyone has recommended the catch can, which is serving our purposes perfectly. There's not much of a need to explore other options as they will not provide any benefits over the current configuration. It's compact, it's affordable, and it does the job well.

Breathers are not legal as they expel PCV gas into the atmosphere. In addition, they introduce the crankcase to additional moisture and condensation that will cause the oil to break down more quickly.

Since the catch can ties into the PCV system, you will suck in unmetered air and throw a check engine light if there isn't a check valve built into, or prior to the breather. Honestly, the breather is useless in this application since the catch can is more than capable of flowing the required PCV volume. Turbo vehicles generally have more complex PCV systems than gasoline engines do, usually with two check valves. In order for a breather to even function, you would need to block off the check valve upstream of the turbo, and you still don't get any benefits out of it.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Still looking and learning about these things, and now I've
Seen catch cans with little breather filters on the top. Are these legal??
Will I pass inspection in Texas?? Does it suck clean air in or does it expell oiled air to the atmosphere?? What effect does this have on crankcase pressure?

Thanks for all replies...Not Sure :confused::confused:
Please don't use an open element breather. It offers no meaningful advantage on this car, and has several downsides. It will make the engine compartment really oily and dirty, and it will pollute the air. I don't mean it will pollute a little either, it will pollute enough so that you will literally smell it at times.

Greg

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok. Thanks

Please don't use an open element breather. It offers no meaningful advantage on this car, and has several downsides. It will make the engine compartment really oily and dirty, and it will pollute the air. I don't mean it will pollute a little either, it will pollute enough so that you will literally smell it at times.

Greg
I've got all the information I need from reliable sources to go ahead with this modification.

Thanks to all. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts