Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Since the intro of the ND Miata and later the Fiat 124 the owners of optional Brembo calipers have been asking us about adding thermal capacity for track days. A number of those owners have gone with our 12.1 and 12.88 Big Brakes while lamenting about selling or 'wasting' their Brembo calipers. Now Brembo owners can simply convert their setup to Big Brakes with our 12.75 rotor conversion kit!

Thanks to the 2-piece design, these rotors add thermal capacity and yet are even lighter than stock! 12.60 lbs each compared to the stock rotor 13.15 lbs.

Includes:
- CNC aluminum hard anodized caliper brackets
- Lightweight aluminum rotor hats
- 12.75" curved-vane and heat treated friction rings
- All hardware included

Making this item live for PREPAY today while Ryan writes the installation instructions, expect to be shipping first kits late this week! Much more detail in our product listing.. CLICK HERE.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Currently just slotted, track users should be plain or slotted in our experience, but we could do drilled for street user (add about a week).

The drilled cost a little more but rotors made to our spec so we can get it done.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Currently just slotted, track users should be plain or slotted in our experience, but we could do drilled for street user (add about a week).

The drilled cost a little more but rotors made to our spec so we can get it done.
Thanks Brian. I put my order in for the slotted Brembo kit, pads, rear Wilwood kit, slotted rear superlight rotors. Hope to put them in over the holidays.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Excellent !!!!

Just today I was lamenting the lack of larger Brembo GT discs for the 124 ........as I have them my A5oo

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, glad you like it. We got flooded with orders immediately, will get them all shipped in the order they were placed as quick as we can.

In the meantime, fun comparison picture of stock little Brembo Rotor...and big TWO PIECE replacement that is actually less weight!

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Now that is how you can SEE the difference.

(note to self...self...time to make a little more side job money to get some STOPPING power!)

·
Registered
729 Posts

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
All our better 17 inch performance wheels fit...including my favorite, the 6UL....for the money nothing as light, as strong, etc.

Tungsten 17x8 for street use is my top choice, wheel is just 14.8 pounds... so you save about 6 pounds per corner compared to terribly heavy stock Abarth wheels. Most customers can feel a savings of 3 pounds per corner in better ride quality if nothing else (and the car performs better in other metrics too).

For TRACK/AUTOCROSS...17x9...just 15.4 pounds each! Shown below is 17x9 Charcoal

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Sorry if I'm not completely following you. Are you saying that the top picture is a street use 17" wheel with larger rotors as well?

Yes, many 17 inch wheels fit...including those shown above which are street use wheels.

Somebody mentioned 18 inch wheels, which are NOT required and not recommended by us....plenty of 17 inch choices that are lighter than stock, clear ALL our big brake options, and are MUCH better quality than the factory 17x7 Abarth wheel.

To be frank, the Abarth stock 17x7 wheel is garbage, even the Miata version of the same chassis gets a factory 17x7 that is reasonably light at 17 pounds, and an optional BBS wheel from the factory on Club Editions that is just 15 pounds. Over 20 pounds for the Abarth factory wheel is really inexcuseable in this era, and most Abarths we have seen also have 6 to 8 inches of balance weights on at least one wheel (which is telling you something about the lack of quality on that wheel). On the bright side, the stock ABARTH 17x7 wheel is so bad that it does make it easy for owners to drop over 20 pounds of unsprung weight with many good flow formed and forged choices in 17x7 that start at 13 pounds, 17x8 that start at 14 pounds, and 17x9 that start at 15 pounds, etc.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
The Brembo big brake kit will fit under a stock wheel. It fits under an O.Z wheel that Tire Rack claims won’t fit. Check the thread “Fabiana’s Christmas makeover” for pictures. The rotor and caliper fill the wheel like it should have from the factory. GWR’s kit is flawless and the conversion is very easy.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Brian, I appreciate this. All very helpful.

What's your thinking for the preference of the 17x8 over the 17x7?

I purchased my Abarth very recently. Would I be able to mount the tires on the 17x8 or would I need to get new tires as well?

Thanks

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Brian, I appreciate this. All very helpful.

What's your thinking for the preference of the 17x8 over the 17x7?

I purchased my Abarth very recently. Would I be able to mount the tires on the 17x8 or would I need to get new tires as well?

Thanks
Sorry for the slow response, I was surfing in Baja, annual guy's getaway trip.

Just depends on how much grip you want. The stock 205mm wide tire would appear a little stretched on 17x8, but more aggressive intent tires like RE71R and Rival S would be fine in same size on 17x8. I tend to prefer 17x8 with 235/40 for aggressive street setup on a car that has full suspension (ours below with Ohlins Coilovers, our Sway bars, etc). For track and autocross we use 17x9.

G

·
Brian, I've read that the big brake kit won't work with the 17x8 Konig Hypergrams. Is there a version of this kit that would fit, or would 12.19 rotors fit to your knowledge?

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brian, I've read that the big brake kit won't work with the 17x8 Konig Hypergrams. Is there a version of this kit that would fit, or would 12.19 rotors fit to your knowledge?

Hypergrams made to clear our big brakes, 12.88 and 12.19.

Today I had them on wife's supercharged RF with our 12.19 brakes.....they clear

And I have run them on my Supercharged/Turbo Miata with our 12.88 brakes.

And they even fit the FAT factory Brembo as you see here.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts