Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering if it is possible to fit the Brembos and Wilwood's on the same car.

I have a Lusso with the stock single piston brakes on the front and rear at the moment. Had the Wilwood kit for a while sitting in the garage now and been meaning to find the time to fit it. I've come across a local guy with a set of the OEM Brembo fronts going for a great price. I'm interested because I did manage to warp the rear discs and had to get them changed after a few trackdays. Looking at the stock ones there's practically no cooling on the rears whatsoever so it wasn't surprising I managed to warp them after some punishment.

Is it possible to put the Wilwoods or Brembos on the rear? I've not taken a look in full detail on the rears but from what I have it looks like the mounts are the same as the fronts just mirrored. Has anyone experimented with fitting either to the rears?

Presuming it is possible with the stock mounts, does anyone have any reasons for fitting Wilwoods at the front over the Brembos? I know the Brembos have slightly more surface area and definitely more mass for thermal absorbtion but wondering if there are any reasons why swapping them around might be better?

P.s Oh and I've heard that these cars have a nice auto brake bias adjustment that would just "figure out" a difference in braking force and adjust accordingly. Is that the case?

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Was wondering if it is possible to fit the Brembos and Wilwood's on the same car.

I have a Lusso with the stock single piston brakes on the front and rear at the moment. Had the Wilwood kit for a while sitting in the garage now and been meaning to find the time to fit it. I've come across a local guy with a set of the OEM Brembo fronts going for a great price. I'm interested because I did manage to warp the rear discs and had to get them changed after a few trackdays. Looking at the stock ones there's practically no cooling on the rears whatsoever so it wasn't surprising I managed to warp them after some punishment.

Is it possible to put the Wilwoods or Brembos on the rear? I've not taken a look in full detail on the rears but from what I have it looks like the mounts are the same as the fronts just mirrored. Has anyone experimented with fitting either to the rears?

Presuming it is possible with the stock mounts, does anyone have any reasons for fitting Wilwoods at the front over the Brembos? I know the Brembos have slightly more surface area and definitely more mass for thermal absorbtion but wondering if there are any reasons why swapping them around might be better?

P.s Oh and I've heard that these cars have a nice auto brake bias adjustment that would just "figure out" a difference in braking force and adjust accordingly. Is that the case?
I can't say how the brake bias would work but this would be total overkill if you were able to mount a Wilwood front brake to the rear. The non-vaned rotor in the rear is entirely appropriate for this car. If you examine brake pad usage you'll find that very little of the rear pad gets used in comparison to the front. Skip the Brembos and enjoy the Wilwood kit you already have. It's very good. Keep your stock rear brakes until such time as an affordable rear brake kit with REAL parking brake becomes available. I very much miss my rear parking brake.

·
Vendor
3,520 Posts
I wouldn't mix and match although there is no technical reason I can think of why it won't work. The ABS/ESC system is easily capable of handling it. However it would be an odd combination for parts, and without any real point. If I had factory Brembos I would not change them for Wilwoods. That's just me. Now if I had the standard brakes and wanted to seriously track the car, then I would get Wilwoods all around, no question.

Greg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts