Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have experience with them? I assume the only way to get Red brake calipers is by getting the Brembo brakes?

And do the optional Recaro seats give more headroom when the top is up? Are they adjustable (manually) ?

·
Banned
425 Posts
Anyone have experience with them? I assume the only way to get Red brake calipers is by getting the Brembo brakes?

And do the optional Recaro seats give more headroom when the top is up? Are they adjustable (manually) ?

I have both the Recaro seats and the Brembo brakes on my Aluminum Abarth. The seats are really nice and measure 7.5" in the front from the floor. They have the same adjustments as the standard seats, are heated and include a speaker in the driver's seat.
The Brembos I wanted because I have seen reviews of the 124 where the driver's claim they experienced brake fade with the standard brakes when descending long mountain roads and on the track. I changed out my DOT 3 Brake fluid for DOT 4 since IMHO a sports car should have been set up that way to begin with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stelvio. I am still interested to find out if one sits lower with the Recaros over the stock Abarth seats. But it is nice to see that they come with the Red piping since the one that I am considering here in FL that is not yet in is Aluminum with the Brembo and Recaro options.

·
Registered
68 Posts

Why not just paint your stock calipers red! :D

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Why not just paint your stock calipers red! :D

If I get the Red one I will since it does not come with the Brembos, but the Aluminum does so I just need to decide if the Recaros are what I want, and since it has not arrived I need to decide without trying them out.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That's always a toughie.. deciding without trying them out. From my experience with various recaros though, I typically love em. The ones in Stelvios picture look amazing too !

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Meh.....they are like fake carbon fibre wraps. If it ain't real it is a bit sad.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I am leaning toward the one with the Brembos & Recaros and will start the negotiation process tomorrow.
I doubt you will regret either!

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I doubt you will regret either!

Me, either...some think I am crazy getting rid of a new Corvette for one but I am not happy enough with it to keep it. I have owned a lot of different vehicles over the years and as the saying goes, "You only live once."

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Me, either...some think I am crazy getting rid of a new Corvette for one but I am not happy enough with it to keep it. I have owned a lot of different vehicles over the years and as the saying goes, "You only live once."
Two very different cars Bob. And I completely get both. I guess as I've (ahem) matured, I've come to the realisation, especially in an increasingly legistlated world where the motorist is a government road revenue cash cow, that having a car that does 0-60mph in 4 secs, does 180mph, and can generate 1.5g lateral is utterly unusable if you want to keep you license longer than a week. And so I've woken up to small, simple, cheap to own and run, cars that are (in my opinion) just as much fun and a good deal less scary. There is a real satisfaction to driving them quickly and their capablities are so much more accessible. And so, I have an Abarth 124 and a BRZ in the garage. Simple, straightforward, still pleasingly analog in a digital world, cheap and huge fun....both of them. I totally get it.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the Vette but it feels heavy, has not so good visibility and you have to stop to remove the top, which is not that easy to do by ones self. It has what seems are endless settings for this & that and I currently have it configured where I have no desire to change a thing. It is fast though and handles very well but I am looking for something akin to the '94 Viper I owned for years, which for me seemed like eternity. It was light, tossable, fast and everything a basic roadster should be so I think the 124 will be a lot of fun. I am also considering a newer Boxster S since I had one in '08 and that was a fun car as well but I've had one so something different is probably best.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I like the Vette but it feels heavy, has not so good visibility and you have to stop to remove the top, which is not that easy to do by ones self. It has what seems are endless settings for this & that and I currently have it configured where I have no desire to change a thing. It is fast though and handles very well but I am looking for something akin to the '94 Viper I owned for years, which for me seemed like eternity. It was light, tossable, fast and everything a basic roadster should be so I think the 124 will be a lot of fun. I am also considering a newer Boxster S since I had one in '08 and that was a fun car as well but I've had one so something different is probably best.
I'm currently considering swapping the BRZ for a Lotus. But the intent is to do 3-4 trackdays a year. A friend of mine recently picked up a near new 981 Cayman S...the last 6 cylinder model. Get your hands one of those (Boxster version). They are going to be collectable.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm currently considering swapping the BRZ for a Lotus. But the intent is to do 3-4 trackdays a year. A friend of mine recently picked up a near new 981 Cayman S...the last 6 cylinder model. Get your hands one of those (Boxster version). They are going to be collectable.

I am not sure which model you are considering but f you have not driven a Lotus it is a different animal. I have driven a couple different ones and hated the Elise, but to each their own as I never knock what someone drives. But if I get another Porsche it will be a newer Boxster S...if the top does not drop or come off it is not for me.

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
I am not sure which model you are considering but f you have not driven a Lotus it is a different animal. I have driven a couple different ones and hated the Elise, but to each their own as I never knock what someone drives. But if I get another Porsche it will be a newer Boxster S...if the top does not drop or come off it is not for me.
The new Boxster S is 4 cylinder now. They switched from 6 cyl to turbo 4 cyl last model year. Obviously losing that NA 6 cyl yowl is a big deal which is why I expect the prices for the last 6 cyl 981s to hold up well.

And the Elise is awesome. Closest thing to a road registerable go kart there is. I want to own one whilst I can still get in and out of one. The BRZ has toughened me up a bit. I'm ready to take the leap. I've test driven the Alfa 4C (I've driven 3 of them) but i just can't warm to them. They look stunning but they don't drive like they should. They are not as sharp a tool as the Elise.

·
Banned
425 Posts
As per the model look up they will not fit.

I am leaning toward the one with the Brembos & Recaros and will start the negotiation process tomorrow.
Think you would really have to measure. The look-up is not reliable for the 2017 models. But I get it if you don't want fake.

·
Registered
615 Posts

The Brembos are great. Pulled up hard to stop from 130 km/h on a down hill incline today. Didn't fade until the last ~2 meters. Have held up strong in every other situation I've used them.

I have 7.5 cm clearance (roof up) with the standard seats, 9 cm with the Recaros. Yes, the Recaros (as well as being heated and featuring the Bose headrest speakers) are manually adjustable for fore/aft, seat recline, and knee bolster up/down.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks MotoPete! I drove a 6 speed yesterday along with my wife, and with some fiddling I was able to get in a good position and had just enough clearance with the top up; however, it had the standard seats so I need to take this one step further: do the standard seats provide more or less than the other 2 seat options?

The car was fun to drive and my wife liked it as well. The salesman was cool and did not even ask for a copy of driver's licenses although he had to come along - the days of independent test drives are over. Anyway, before we left I told him I have attended a few driving schools and about some of the other rides I have had and he said to have fun, which is what I did. I got the tail out a few times and when we got back I could hear him telling a couple other salesmen about his experience, which made us all feel like old time friends that liked all kinds of cars. So I am buying one, and most likely the Red Abarth 6 speed that they ordered last September and are still waiting for. Based on the deal they are offering me it will be hard to pass it up and buy the Aluminum one at a different dealer with the Brembos and Recaros although I have not finished negotiating with that dealer.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts