Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

61 - 80 of 82 Posts

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Hi again Simon......Interesting you wrote that...I have never gone for extra wide alloys, tyres or drastic tuning of cars preferring a steady "plus one" approach to Mods so was looking at 205's on the 17" moving up from the 195's on the 16 alloys, however......As you can see I have been researching the subject and have also just had the Spider out for some Spirited "Bend Swinging" (Bike term) on my old Bike country lanes. The Bridgestone's are Crap "Too Me".Run flats don't impress anyway but my 16" combination was comfortably whilst direct. I was unrewarded by that drive, the 17" alloys seemed great, bigger, less wheel arch gaps and they look good also,but I will definately be going
GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 asymmetric 5 88Y non run flat, it's just do I go with the 205 standard Lusso fitment, or, do I go "plus one" from there to 215's. The Golf GTi set up on 215's worked well and are very popular with 124 Spider owners, I was thinking of waiting out the summer but I don't think so now.........Even hovering on keeping the 16" alloys as well now as they have only done 2500 miles and the Yokahoma's have 6-7 mm fronts, 7-8 mm rears left and will do winter work easily...Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Hi again Simon......Interesting you wrote that...I have never gone for extra wide alloys, tyres or drastic tuning of cars preferring a steady "plus one" approach to Mods so was looking at 205's on the 17" moving up from the 195's on the 16 alloys, however......As you can see I have been researching the subject and have also just had the Spider out for some Spirited "Bend Swinging" (Bike term) on my old Bike country lanes. The Bridgestone's are Crap "Too Me".Run flats don't impress anyway but my 16" combination was comfortably whilst direct. I was unrewarded by that drive, the 17" alloys seemed great, bigger, less wheel arch gaps and they look good also,but I will definately be going
GOODYEAR EAGLE F1 asymmetric 5 88Y non run flat, it's just do I go with the 205 standard Lusso fitment, or, do I go "plus one" from there to 215's. The Golf GTi set up on 215's worked well and are very popular with 124 Spider owners, I was thinking of waiting out the summer but I don't think so now.........Even hovering on keeping the 16" alloys as well now as they have only done 2500 miles and the Yokahoma's have 6-7 mm fronts, 7-8 mm rears left and will do winter work easily...Cheers
ron
Just nipped out before the rain returns to get a couple of updated photos to compare how the Eibach lowered springs sit on the larger 17" alloy and tyre assembly............on 205's so would stick out an extra 10 mm on 215's but give even better inertia and grip, without spoiling turn in for bends me thinks.....Hmmmm
IMG_0001.JPG
IMG_0002.JPG

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Your Abarthized Spider suddenly looks Lussosized.
Yep, It certainly is "Evolving"...........I liked the Classica style wheels, just being 16" , and 195's.....I think I may have even just changed out the "TYRES" Aldo ! to 205's if the BBS Le Mans, then these Lusso's had not come up but I do like the look and "who knows" what will happen next with this "Very Adaptable" 124 Spider, it just invites you to come and play, doesn't it ? Your "Abarth" has certainly taken on it's own character Mate, the profile looks amazing now.
I spied a Black Abarth I liked recently.....I would never think of letting my "Abarthised" Classica / Lusso go but IF I had more garage space, or an aircraft hanger like you guys seem to have each, I would pull the trigger.......
I don't even like leaving the fantastic VW T-Roc outside so an "Abarth"...No Chance ! Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Right the......The Final part (I think) of Brexit Mods", my diary of the modifications I have carried out (with assistance and recommendations from Fellow Members here and 21st Century 124Spider guidelines...........
I have gone from "Classica" Yokahoma 195 x 50 R16 6.5J , 32psi/2.2 bar torque loading 130 Nms to Bridgestone Potenza 205/45 R17 7J 29psi.2 bar, also 130 Nm on the wheels I bought off Fellow Member Graham R, the 17" alloys are Brilliant but the Bridgestones felt rock hard ! I was going for Goodyear Eagle F1 replacements but having had Michelins on both my Mazda MX5 NB's I decided on Michelin Pilot Sport 4 215/45 17's...so PLUS ONE which is the recommended procedure by most tyre advisers....and they are FANTASTIC...though I have not pushed them (New) the comfort, inertia, ride and turn in is SPOT ON ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
632 Posts
I had 215/45R17 Michelin Pilot Sport 3+ AS tires on my Abarth: it is a great tire!

Highest ranked tire in its category on Tire Tack, too.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
About a week ago "ApexOversteer" came up with a BRILLIANT idea to bring the somewhat large rear end of the 124 Spider together better, he "Apexised" it and in doing so started the latest craze of "Apexising your 124 Spider".......
Here is my copy.....Fresh Satin Black Paint over GREY primer.
IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Your Abarthized Spider suddenly looks Lussosized.
Not necessarily a bad thing - the perfect Spider probably lies somewhere between the two.

By the way @Brexit ! I'd go with 215's for tires. Fills out the wheel wells just that little bit more.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Not necessarily a bad thing - the perfect Spider probably lies somewhere between the two.
Indeed. Thank you for the clarification.

I didn’t mean to imply that Abarth was better than Lusso. They are positioned differently. That’s all.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Hi Lads...Yep, I did go 215/45 R17 XL Y91 Michelin Pilot Sport 4 and they are BRILLIANT ! As for the ......
"What is Best" discussion Abarth, Lusso Classica, it really does depend on what you want from a Sports Car....The Classica is Basic so a blank canvass, The Lusso luxurious comfort and style, whereas the Abarth is in your face Aggression "to Me". I wanted the blank canvas, I wanted style and I wanted some performance and all at the minimum cost to myself...The Classica was cheap for a Stylish Italian Sports Car built but lacked leather seats and that Sports Car sound. and performance, I think I have now achieved my goal through all the above "Brexit Mods" and hope that by recording it within this diary it will help somebody else. Thanks to all who helped Me, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
339 Posts
I like the black. But maybe remove the 124 and turbo (!?) badges - it REALLY cleans up the back end!! Worked well for me

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
I like the black. But maybe remove the 124 and turbo (!?) badges - it REALLY cleans up the back end!! Worked well for me
I've just spent a while trying to find a photo of your Spiders rear end Boddle mate, couldn't find one...It would be interesting to see without the badges but with the black center boot rear panel, don't think I would go for a plain debadged rear at all, it has always bugged me that the front and side views look so cool whilst the back just sticks out, and now the rear looks so "Correct". Once the paint is dried and the plate back in place it will look even better, Cheers
ron

·
Registered
339 Posts
Understood mate. Here is one. Personal preference obviously!
I like the matt black though..

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
Understood mate. Here is one. Personal preference obviously!
I like the matt black though..
View attachment 75316
That photo certainly tells me that the badges don't make a lot of difference other than to tell those following something about that "Italian Stallion" that they are following, and yes...Black center panel is something Fiat should have considered for this Performance Sports car . Thanks for that, Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
That photo certainly tells me that the badges don't make a lot of difference other than to tell those following something about that "Italian Stallion" that they are following, and yes...Black center panel is something Fiat should have considered for this Performance Sports car . Thanks for that, Cheers
ron
IMG_0002.JPG

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Brexit... I think you're gonna like my next mod back there... give me a little time and I'll show ya... :devilish:
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Already got my interest here Buddy...Hope it's not a Catch can. read it all, can't see the point "for me", Exhaust....well you know I's sold on Good-Win anyway,no, i will have to wait and see.......
Could be.........No, stop it !

·
Registered
177 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm.......Already got my interest here Buddy...Hope it's not a Catch can. read it all, can't see the point "for me", Exhaust....well you know I's sold on Good-Win anyway,no, i will have to wait and see.......
Could be.........No, stop it !

Nono... you guys were talking about that 124Spider badge here and in the other thread... just waiting for something to arrive in the post here...

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
Very Cool......Compliments your USA style plate size really well indeed, the UK plate being oblong, no way, however...I did manage to get a small Scorpion to attach himself to my plate (see above) but if it was a square plate then I believe I would now be playing catch up...again. Glad you are enjoying personalising you Spider, the Spider certainly is a vehicle that lends itself to doing that well. Cheers
ron

61 - 80 of 82 Posts