Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
I don't know too much about the wastegate actuator....... I'll probably get round to educating myself sometime. What I do know is that whilst my car is running well and still under warranty until March 2021 I won't be changing much else. Maybe just the air intake, but am happy with my K&N and factory airbox so just the EC V1, although SILA do something similar...... View attachment 76259
Thanks anyway...thinking about it, it's probably not going to change much of anything just become more efficient, I suspect when the tuning starts and the BIG turbos are fitted is when lade think about the function. Cheers anyway, I'm off to bed to study my nave and consider the best way to remove fluff !

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Ryanstar Real Carbon gear knob just arrived and fitted... few lbs lighter than OEM. Came with 4 sized rubber adapters, 2 x grub screws, allen key. Frankmar comments P136 of What did you do to ....section give full details, Cheers Frank and gave me the incentive to arder up. Using a M12 washer i slipped it over stick then using largest adapter I cut bottom 3/4 " and fitted over stick, fitted the Red band from Ryanstar, lowered the real Carbon gear knob onto the THIRD sized adapter, tightened grub screw and band. SUPPORT gear linkage when you press Ryanstar knob into position.

IMG_0001.JPG

·
Registered
647 Posts
Looks really smart. Sits quite a bit higher than mine - is that as far as the thread goes or did you set it that high?

Either way, very nice!!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
A few Ibs lighter ?...... cool !!!!
Can't talk now....I have a spare bIanket so I'm rushing off to Halfords to buy my new screen washer mod then going to view a couple of cats................,.I know you have cracked up...but it was GOOD ! (P139 what did you do to....section folks) !

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #106
Looks really smart. Sits quite a bit higher than mine - is that as far as the thread goes or did you set it that high?

Either way, very nice!!
No, if you read Frankmar thread in What did you do section p136, Frank bored his out to get it to sit lower...I understand that gear knobs are weighted intentionally so rather than bore it out and reduce weight further, I "Brexit Modded" it as described. cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #107
Ryanstar Real Carbon gear knob just arrived and fitted... few lbs lighter than OEM. Came with 4 sized rubber adapters, 2 x grub screws, allen key. Frankmar comments P136 of What did you do to ....section give full details, Cheers Frank and gave me the incentive to arder up. Using a M12 washer i slipped it over stick then using largest adapter I cut bottom 3/4 " and fitted over stick, fitted the Red band from Ryanstar, lowered the real Carbon gear knob onto the THIRD sized adapter, tightened grub screw and band. SUPPORT gear linkage when you press Ryanstar knob into position.

View attachment 76296
HANDBRAKE IS OFF for photo....so Gear knob doesn't sit as high as it looks.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #108

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #110
Good lord man. A few lbs lighter? How heavy was the OEM knob....was that Imperial lbs, or the lighter more svelte SAE lbs?
Did I say lbs ?......Man, you are quick at correcting me and pointing out my errors in every comment.........yet again, you are correct, another error on my behalf, of course i meant OUNCES, as a bag of sugar weighs in at 2 lbs !
I must return to Aircraft Engineering school, infants even, to relearn my basics......Cheers for letting me know.

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
All tongue in cheek I assure you. And here I was thinking it was more British humor!:D
No, just as well you pointed it out, my ex mates Arthur & Boddle both missed it, as did all the boys reading the threads on "What did you do...... " section, I would hate to think of one of our fellow members ordering up, quoting me.....anyway, I have corrected myself there as well. Maybe you could answer this one whilst you are here.....
Last page (P5) towards end of page I was asking Arthur what he knew about "Wastegate Actuators and their springs, i was wondering at what point exactly would the actuator spring be changed ? not through a fault but through induction, tuning,power,exhaust modifications. If you don't mind having a read back and have any idea as to the answer...that would be cool..........Arthur just said that his head hurt with all my stupid questions so he had to go for a lay down.......
Cheers

·
Registered
647 Posts
@Brexit ! Hahha i was trying to convert it into kg.... ;)

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
For the record I did spot your lbs/ounces error... hence my comment "cool". Due to the negative connotation of your weight saving knob, I'd assume you'd discovered anti-matter (check my response on your gear knob post). You got your tubo blanket yet ?
No, but I did get my Knob Head !

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #116
@Brexit ! Hahha i was trying to convert it into kg.... ;)
And you can get back in your box too !! Hang on a minute though......What do you know about "Wastegate Actuator springs"..........?

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Handbrake now on.....Franks photo alongside.....

View attachment 76300 View attachment 76301
Just driven the Spider using the new Ryanstar Gear knob....looks and feels very retro.....May be lighter than OEM (by ozs) but the change felt every bit as slick and the feel, absolutely took me back to the good old days, so...on looks it suits the Spider with or without a little gear shift stick showing (retro), feel and use 10/10. Thanks again "Frankmar" !

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
Just driven the Spider using the new Ryanstar Gear knob....looks and feels very retro.....May be lighter than OEM (by ozs) but the change felt every bit as slick and the feel, absolutely took me back to the good old days, so...on looks it suits the Spider with or without a little gear shift stick showing (retro), feel and use 10/10. Thanks again "Frankmar" !
No Arthur....The SILA turbo blanket is now betwixt London Heathrow and Plymouth Royal Mail being Customs checked to see how much the B*ggers can get away with charging me........meanwhile, I ordered my BMC Induction System from Madness Autoworks...still in Italy awaiting export to the USA then forwarding to the UK where Customs will again take for a mug..............turbo blanket any day now..I hope, BMC Induction system......before Christmas, not sure which year though and once fitted if I don't see / feel any difference then Arthur lad...... you may have your update on the cheap...
Looks like about a couple of hours fiddling about to remove and fit new system. Cheers
ron

101 - 120 of 135 Posts