Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1970 MG Midget
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I’m Philip and I have a car problem. The first step is admitting it, right?

I want to spitball this idea with you all…

Fiat 1.4turbo/6mt into my 1970 midget. Feasible? I’m anticipating a fair amount of transmission tunnel and rear axle work.

It’s my daily driver and I’m thinking about this. Otherwise I’ll continue with my plans to build out her 1275, supercharge and Datsun five speed swap it (~130hp, 1500lbs). But, I rented a Fiat 124 Abarth on Turo a few weeks ago in LA and loved the drivetrain so much.

Once I’m done with the body and paint work, I’ll be tackling this. I’ve a lot to learn about the platform from you all!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

·
Registered
242 Posts
I knew a guy with a 350 sbc in one of those so I have to imagine that you wouldn't have much trouble getting the 124 power plant to fit. Should make it a fun little car. I wonder though - will the complexities of the multiair variant of the engine befit a swap like this or would you be better off on the not so variable everything engine?

·
Registered
1970 MG Midget
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew a guy with a 350 sbc in one of those so I have to imagine that you wouldn't have much trouble getting the 124 power plant to fit. Should make it a fun little car. I wonder though - will the complexities of the multiair variant of the engine befit a swap like this or would you be better off on the not so variable everything engine?
Care to elaborate on this?

·
Super Moderator
1,487 Posts
Hello! I’m Philip and I have a car problem. The first step is admitting it, right?

I want to spitball this idea with you all…

Fiat 1.4turbo/6mt into my 1970 midget. Feasible? I’m anticipating a fair amount of transmission tunnel and rear axle work.

It’s my daily driver and I’m thinking about this. Otherwise I’ll continue with my plans to build out her 1275, supercharge and Datsun five speed swap it (~130hp, 1500lbs). But, I rented a Fiat 124 Abarth on Turo a few weeks ago in LA and loved the drivetrain so much.

Once I’m done with the body and paint work, I’ll be tackling this. I’ve a lot to learn about the platform from you all!

View attachment 93382
Years ago I was approached by someone wanting to upgrade a Datsun 510 and knew I had been down that road. My advice was to do something with a newer car that had a more competent chassis. It’s likely you can accomplish this project. But in the end how usable will the car be? Are you going to replace all the original wiring and electrics? Will you have a snug top? It’s all a matter of what your expectations of the end product are. It’s not going to be inexpensive. Unless you are an expert fabricator you’re going to need to locate a dependable one.
Finally, if you’re married, are you willing to sacrifice your marriage over this? I’ve got a friend who went down this road with an old Ferrari . . .
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,359 Posts
T-jet is the engine you are referring to. But honestly the Alfa 20v was a brilliant engine with an amazing exhaust note. That would be an awesome swap.

·
Registered
2020 Abarth 6MT Modded To The Moon
298 Posts
This is a dope idea! Surely you wont have any issues shoeing in a baby 1.4, these arent very long at all. It would be a treat to hear that growl coming from an mg like that though! Tune it with the pops and gurgles!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts