Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got the Goodwin cross pipe for spider. I removed the main exhaust and started removing the the crosspipe.
Loosening the bolt that attached pipe to the motor. They loosen for maybe a few millimeters then stopped budging.
I sprayed some lubricant. I tighten one back and the bolt broke!
I proceeded to losses the other and bolt broke two!!!
What the hell!!
I’m looking online but am I screwed?

Attachments

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,945 Posts
There are many threads on this. I would do a search and look at all the parts you need to fix this. @sharkcohen has a really good write up on this and what he did to fix it, along with the size of bolts and nuts needed to replace the broken ones.

· Registered
Abarth 124 Spider Turismo, 02/2017
97 Posts
AHAHAH, same problem here, except it broke inside the threads and only one of them.

If you want to replace it, here are the parts:

Font Rectangle Parallel Drawing Auto part

Mopar Store
Azure Rectangle Aqua Font Electric blue

Event Circle Pattern Electric blue Font

The Nut is an M8, so propably because there is no Number for the headless screws either its with the bracket or you have to take a replacement.

As far as i saw it it completly rusts away due do the excess heat and it shears off either through vibration or material-weakness. Mine broke after a 30 minute-fight with penetrating-oil, a heatgun and wax. And only after i tried screwing it out.

Instead of going the official way (im in germany, so cant buy through the official store) i would buy smth like this:

Exhaust-Pipe screw M8y1,25
(German website)
Product Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot

And replace it with it. Now please consider this is for european customers, dont know if you find smth for USA.

In that regard: good luck.

Reactions: mtnghost

· Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
1,082 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I used an electric drill and drill bits designed for steel to drill out the old stud, then enlarged the holes to fit a M10 nut and bolt. Here is the post where I documented the repair.

· Registered
4,372 Posts
There are many threads on this. I would do a search and look at all the parts you need to fix this. @sharkcohen has a really good write up on this and what he did to fix it, along with the size of bolts and nuts needed to replace the broken ones.
The cat nuts rounded off on my factory cat and I had to implement a dremel, but the studs haven't broken on me yet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts