Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, in my zealotry getting the front sway bar installed, I broke (what looks like) an intercooler connection on a junction box which goes back to the air intake.

The option is to replace the plastic junction box that the connection goes to, or as a first attempt, JB weld it back on.

Either way, this box needs to come out. I believe I can unbolt the box from the chassis, but how do these pipe joints come off?

(Bit of a sad panda at the moment).

This hose goes from the air intake/filter down into the depths. The broken connection should be attached to the junction box (intercooler pipe box).

Looking down from the passenger side in the engine bay, where that pipe goes from and to. On the left, the broken off 'stub' connection, shown above.

From under the car, passenger side: how do these hose clamps come off? If I can get these connections off, I can get the box out and attempt a repair. If that doesn't work, getting a part number/replacement.

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
669 Posts
bummer...you are correct...intercooler piping...I saw that nipple when doing mine and was concerned that it could be broken easy...if you get it repaired make sure it does not leak...being in that line it would have direct affect on your boost pressure....unfortunately for you I was right...

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bing the impatient sod that i am, I played with the metal hose connections. I couldn't believe it would be hard to take off, and was correct. The metal 'spring clips' hold the hose in place. using a couple of screwdrivers (because they want to spring back) to pry up the metal spring(s), in the third picture, above, the hose slides off easily.

Two screws, holding the connection on (they will be tricky to put back) and the piece comes out.

I have some JBWeld on it, now, and i'll let that cure overnight.

(for such a small engine, the sure isn't a lot of room to work in this engine bay. And tubes and pipes everywhere! Worse than working on a 12kW laser).

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Fixed. Standard JB-Weld on the connection worked fine (was concerned about the plastic, but it's a plastic/fiber composite, it seems). Good as new!

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Fixed. Standard JB-Weld on the connection worked fine (was concerned about the plastic, but it's a plastic/fiber composite, it seems). Good as new!
I'm shocked it's holding.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
I wouldn't have too much confidence that the fix will hold. I suggest ordering a new pipe, they are not expensive, and next time you are under the car for an oil change, swap it out.

Greg

1 - 9 of 9 Posts