Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Soo getting the mirrors caps off of the spider is a huge potentially expensive pain in the ass. At First I was going to pop off the existing ones and wrap them. Using a light and a bunch of picks I followed along with popping the clips off, no luck. After trying for an hour I felt a pop and actually nicked the mirror... No big deal it was a small crack on the edge that I could live with. I gave up and went to the dealer and was about to order them but they were 90$ each. I asked the guy there if I ordered them online for about half that and brought them in how much would he charge me to get off the old ones and he said it should only take him about 20 minutes and not to worry about it. So i did just that today I swing by he has me pull in and said he will give it a shot. The drivers side he was able to pull the entire glass off once he got his hand behind it. Then the passenger side, which I like an idiot, told him I already knicked. He tried the same thing and shattered it and was bleeding all over the floor. I felt bad but he said it happens all the time. He apologized and said it happens all the time. After prying it and finally getting the shattered glass off was able to get the other mirror cap off. He goes over to the parts desk and tells them he broke the mirror and they order me a new one it will be in tomorrow. The new one costs just under $200 but since he felt bad he gave me the employee price which is 10% above cost come out to $130. I'm a little pissed I would have been more than happy to pay the $40 for the labor for an hour to have them put the caps on. Now on top of the $100 i spent to get the mirror caps in the first place I need to pay another $130 tomorrow to fix the mirror.

I don"t want to get this guy in trouble, He was really cool to help me out in the first place, but at the same time I'm pissed that I'm paying way more than I would have wanted to get the red mirror caps installed.

I will take pictures on what the socket behind the passenger mirror looks like to see if that can help anyone else get that part off clean. I know its possible to get the mirror caps off without taking the glass off but its not easy. If from the picture you can see clearly see how to get it off maybe it will help someone in the future.

The drivers side attachment is very different and if you reach in as far towards the center as possible you just pop off the whole mirror glass.

Do you think there is anything I can do without throwing this guy under the bus to get the shop to meet me halfway on this cost?

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Wow, I thought these caps were just something you clipped over the mirror housing.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish. Maybe one day we will have a decent aftermarket selection.

Makes me wish i had a mini cooper or a jeep wrangler. Those guys have it good

·
Registered
205 Posts
In fairness those have been out for years, the 124 is new to market. Give it time! :)
New wrangler owners are about to go into the same boat...seems a bevvy of changes for 2018 model that will make everything existing for the JK platform not quiiiiiite fit the new model.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My dad got the first "new" mini cooper s when bmw came out with them within 6 months there were entire catalogs of cool stuff. Which is strange because that was an entirely resurrected brand similar to fiat in the US. I was surprised even then that it had that kind of aftermarket support. I wasnt even old enough to drive and i loved looking through all the cool stuff you could get.

With the wrangler redesign there will be new stuff out before the first ones land.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
My dad got the first "new" mini cooper s when bmw came out with them within 6 months there were entire catalogs of cool stuff. Which is strange because that was an entirely resurrected brand similar to fiat in the US. I was surprised even then that it had that kind of aftermarket support. I wasnt even old enough to drive and i loved looking through all the cool stuff you could get.

With the wrangler redesign there will be new stuff out before the first ones land.
To be fair, the mini and the wrangler, though, are much more iconic than the Fiat, with a much larger (relative) market share. I don't think we will see that extent of customization for the Fiat. after all, there is the Miata market that the Fiat piggy backs off. How large is that market compared to the mini, for example? (I don't know the answer to that).

It requires people with a bit of imagination; but when you look at the rally 124 - almost the flag ship of customization - you see there's not a lot that's changed (aside the obvious): this car is so good right out of the gate :)

Edit: oh, and it really sucks about your mirror. But at least you can now say your car is 'broken' in...

·
Registered
479 Posts
For those who want red caps, I had mine wrapped after waiting on out-of-stock plastic red caps. Jim from LongBeach, if you still have the pic that I sent to you, please post for me. tia

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yea you can get the old mirror caps out. Others were successful by reaching in behind the mirror glass by moving it to the edges and releasing the clips. But I couldn't no matter what I tried. If i had to do this again i would go to the dealer with my mirror caps and tell them I wanted to make an actual appt to have it done on the books so if something happened they would be responsible for it. Even if it were to take them an hour it would have cost me less than $40. Well worth it considering.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For those who want red caps, I had mine wrapped after waiting on out-of-stock plastic red caps. Jim from LongBeach, if you still have the pic that I sent to you, please post for me. tia
That was my plan but without being able to get the caps off i couldn't get the material to wrap around . The vinyl also was not as glossy as the painted caps. I ended up keeping the vinyl wrap on the tow hook cover for now but will likely paint that later.

·
Registered
479 Posts
That was my plan but without being able to get the caps off i couldn't get the material to wrap around . The vinyl also was not as glossy as the painted caps. I ended up keeping the vinyl wrap on the tow hook cover for now but will likely paint that later.
This is true Rick, they are not glossy.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Sorry for your pain and suffering. I had my red caps installed professionally and even they struggled with it. I had to take it back the next day because they didn't seat the plastic pivots (for the electronics) correctly. All is fine now. I'm sure you'll get it perfect after you get over this hump.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I had mine wrapped and I'm not happy with it. I went ahead and ordered the caps and will take them in and have them installed. Wish I had done that in the first place.

·
Registered
669 Posts
I have tried to research this with very little success. Even though these are MX5 mirrors that group does not seem to be that into changing out the caps. If you search "replace Mazda side mirror glass" and look for images for the three point contact you can find some Mazda instructions. They are not very good do I don't want to post them. Seems high risk popping off the glass, though it does seem to be the method done by dealers for replacing the caps.

To bad the engineers didn't design them for easy replacment. Would have been simple to do.

I am going to try and pop the glass off, but not go to far before I give up. Then resort to removing the caps with the glass on.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Oops, I think that's deleted now. If you send it to me again I'll post it for you.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Here you go Steve:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 24 Posts