Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I see that the manual calls for the following bulbs (on a non-LED equipped car)

High Beam - HB3 60w
Low Beam - H11 55w
Fog Lights - H11 55w
LP Light - W5W 5w
Rear side marker - W5W 5w
Front Position/Side marker - WY5W 5w

I'm pretty sure the HB3 is also the same as the 9005 bulb series. But is the H11 a true H11. I know on the Toyota it called for the same for the fog and low beam lights but they are NOT the same bulb. Are the low and fog light bulbs different - the Toyota uses an H16 fog light bulb - or are they actually the same bulb on the Spider? I'm hoping someone has already pulled the panels and replaced them and can answer that so I do not have to get the bulbs, pull the panels and then find that the fog light is actually a different bulb.

The W5W's are apparently a 194 bulb base (which worked fine in my LP lights) and WY5W is probably an amber/yellow version of it.
Has anyone found/compiled a list of standard US bulb equivalencies since most of the online lists for the bulb manufacturers do not even show the 2017's yet, much less the Fiat Spider.

Currently I pull the bulb and then go into the store and find one that looks the same, but it would be nice if there was a compatibility list available.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Purchased some Sylvania REVO 194 yellow LED's to put in the front parking/clearance lights (the ones next to the low beam on the outside portion of the assembly) and took them back out as they are not near as bright as the factory halogens. Pretty sure the main issue is the side light output is not that good with most of the light projected to the front.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I just saw these on EBay, Xentec Xeron HID kit for our 124Spider! Anyone tried them? Any comments? The installation looks quite simple!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just saw these on EBay, Xentec Xeron HID kit for our 124Spider! Anyone tried them? Any comments? The installation looks quite simple!
Please do yourself and others a favor and do not put HID bulbs into a projector designed for halogen bulbs. All you will do is cause issues with oncoming traffic from the glare that you will get.
If you do anything, start researching LED bulb replacements - but honestly, from all my research they aren't quite there yet. Halogen will still give you more range than any of the LED bulbs currently do and the HID are not designed for our projectors so they have their own issues (glare being a big one).
The best bulbs so far that I've found from my research are the Philips X-TremeVision bulbs - but they have that orange/yellow standard halogen tint but give you the best viewing distance.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for your input

Please do yourself and others a favor and do not put HID bulbs into a projector designed for halogen bulbs. All you will do is cause issues with oncoming traffic from the glare that you will get.
If you do anything, start researching LED bulb replacements - but honestly, from all my research they aren't quite there yet. Halogen will still give you more range than any of the LED bulbs currently do and the HID are not designed for our projectors so they have their own issues (glare being a big one).
The best bulbs so far that I've found from my research are the Philips X-TremeVision bulbs - but they have that orange/yellow standard halogen tint but give you the best viewing distance.

Thanks,

I'll check out the Philips and also I am looking at the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra !

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll check out the Philips and also I am looking at the Sylvania Silverstar Ultra !
I've got the SilverStar Ultra's in mine currently and they are OK, but the Philips have a better distance. I do like the somewhat "whiter" light, but realize that it's just a perception issue and it's not a "better" light.
I'm going to probably be ordering the Philips soon and putting the SilverStar's in the fog lights until they burn out and then go with Philips in them also.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Good Idea!

I've got the SilverStar Ultra's in mine currently and they are OK, but the Philips have a better distance. I do like the somewhat "whiter" light, but realize that it's just a perception issue and it's not a "better" light.
I'm going to probably be ordering the Philips soon and putting the SilverStar's in the fog lights until they burn out and then go with Philips in them also.
I'm going to follow your lead and go with the Philips in both LB & Fog Lights .

·
Registered
280 Posts
I just switched all my front headlights and fog lights to the Philips Crystal Vision halogen bulbs,
not only do I get better distance it is also very clear bright white light.
As a bonus I get the blue tint reflected from the bulbs,
This looks much better a definite upgrade I would recommend this.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts