Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to address this properly, since I haven't found a thread with any sort of concrete answer. But how much is my car supposed to smell like burning oil? I've heard it's common with these multiair engines, my 500 did it at sustained higher RPMS (driving like a nut). Anytime I'm on any sort of spirited drive, I'm getting whiffs of burning oil in the cabin. Not overwhelming. It's faint, but it's there. Got into work today, got out while the car was idling and I could smell it in the exhaust. I've looked over the engine bay several time and couldn't find any visible leaks.

So how much is too much? Totally normal and nothing to worry about? Should there be no smell at all?
I don't want to take my car in to the dealer only to be told it's nothing.

Any advice?

Car is a 2018 with 11k kilometers. Oil was changed when I bought the car 2 weeks ago. I've put 1000km on it and the oil level hasn't dropped.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
First place I would look is inside the Turbo inlet/intake hose connection. These cars have a tendency to get oil in there under heavy conditions. If you see a bit in there, an oil catch can may work to cut it down to nothing.

·
Read Only
69 Posts
I'd like to address this properly, since I haven't found a thread with any sort of concrete answer. But how much is my car supposed to smell like burning oil? I've heard it's common with these multiair engines, my 500 did it at sustained higher RPMS (driving like a nut). Anytime I'm on any sort of spirited drive, I'm getting whiffs of burning oil in the cabin. Not overwhelming. It's faint, but it's there. Got into work today, got out while the car was idling and I could smell it in the exhaust. I've looked over the engine bay several time and couldn't find any visible leaks.

So how much is too much? Totally normal and nothing to worry about? Should there be no smell at all?
I don't want to take my car in to the dealer only to be told it's nothing.

Any advice?

Car is a 2018 with 11k kilometers. Oil was changed when I bought the car 2 weeks ago. I've put 1000km on it and the oil level hasn't dropped.
Are you sure it is not the catalytic converter that you are smelling.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are you sure it is not the catalytic converter that you are smelling.
That's more of a sulfer smell. I notice that too on the highway if I drop it down a gear and accelerate. Different smell though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts