Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just bought a CabrioShield roof cover to fit an MX5 ND from CabrioShield (aka Prestige Autotrims) with the suspicion that as the roof etc. is basically the same it'll fit fine. Guess what? It fits perfectly. I got the black 'premium' one buts there's a thinner one and comes in 3 colours. The premium claims to be breathable and fungicidal, I'll soon see how well that works when the crows start throwing the moss from my neighbours gutters onto the car...

The cover only protects the roof & windows and goes on in a couple of minutes, being my daily drive this is what I wanted; keeps the windows and roof frost free. There are no straps to hook around wheels or bodywork, just some cunning bits of thick piping that catch in the door and boot hinges & appear to hold it very securely. The manufacturers mention magnets for some vehicles; this cover does not appear to have any magnets in it but doesn't need them. Despite how it looks it does not hook into the bonnet, it just lays down below the wipers. All of the interior bits are soft and padded to prevent scratching and its very well put together. Taking it back off is a little more fiddly due to needing to roll it up without dropping it on the floor, still it took less than 5 minutes this morning.

The downside is that because its quite thick material its a little bulky when taken off and there isn't a nice storage bag for it (it comes in a thick plastic bag so thats what I'm using). I suspect with practice I can roll it up tighter so it takes up less boot space and probably quicker. Its also not the cheapest cover out there, but you get what you pay for and I hope this will last for a few years.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
I see that Prestige Autotrim have Cabrio Shield soft top covers listed for the Fiat 124 as well as the MX5 ND:
Premium protection £166.80 plus £9.95 postage
Standard protection £91.20 plus £9.95 postage

Do you know whether these covers are different from the MX5? The photograph on their site doesn't show the rear view. The Spider version doesn't need the cut away area at the back of the cover which shows clearly on your photo. They are a bit pricey aren't they, particularly if they are not an exact fit.
I am debating whether to order one of these, or whether to save money and order the SILA cover from Madness in the U.S. Total cost including shipping and customs should be around £75 if my maths are correct. Anyone with experience of these?

Still pondering…

·
Registered
190 Posts
I see that Prestige Autotrim have Cabrio Shield soft top covers listed for the Fiat 124 as well as the MX5 ND:
Premium protection £166.80 plus £9.95 postage
Standard protection £91.20 plus £9.95 postage

Do you know whether these covers are different from the MX5? The photograph on their site doesn't show the rear view. The Spider version doesn't need the cut away area at the back of the cover which shows clearly on your photo. They are a bit pricey aren't they, particularly if they are not an exact fit.
I am debating whether to order one of these, or whether to save money and order the SILA cover from Madness in the U.S. Total cost including shipping and customs should be around £75 if my maths are correct. Anyone with experience of these?

Still pondering…
I have had one of these. I had great problems with Prestige who will not accept it is NOT designed for a Fiat 124 as the advert implies but the MX ND. The cutout at the back for the Mazda high brake light is not seen until you buy it. This makes the back vulnerable to lifting in the wind. Many emails later including asking them to make one without the cutout -
not possible was their reply, I returned it but they refused to refund my return postage, because they insist it is designed for the Fiat 124.

Customer service - good at telling me it was my problem I didn't like the design.
Another company who markets and sells 'bits' for the MX ND and then finds it can also say they fit the Fiat 124, which sometimes they do but not in this case.

Overall a bad experience.

Danny

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I hadn't appreciated the cutout was for the MX5 tail light but I don't see it as a problem - it had a fairly breezy night when I first fitted it and it coped without problem. I guess if it was blowing a full on force 10 it might be more of an issue but I think its sturdy enough and fastened well enough to not be a problem. I like the way it attaches, compared to others that need straps and hooks and a bit of extra ventilation just helps it all dry out under there.

Overall a bad experience.
Haven't had cause to question them, I'll look forward to that if I ever have to.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I've just bought a CabrioShield roof cover to fit an MX5 ND from CabrioShield (aka Prestige Autotrims) with the suspicion that as the roof etc. is basically the same it'll fit fine. Guess what? It fits perfectly. I got the black 'premium' one buts there's a thinner one and comes in 3 colours. The premium claims to be breathable and fungicidal, I'll soon see how well that works when the crows start throwing the moss from my neighbours gutters onto the car...

The cover only protects the roof & windows and goes on in a couple of minutes, being my daily drive this is what I wanted; keeps the windows and roof frost free. There are no straps to hook around wheels or bodywork, just some cunning bits of thick piping that catch in the door and boot hinges & appear to hold it very securely. The manufacturers mention magnets for some vehicles; this cover does not appear to have any magnets in it but doesn't need them. Despite how it looks it does not hook into the bonnet, it just lays down below the wipers. All of the interior bits are soft and padded to prevent scratching and its very well put together. Taking it back off is a little more fiddly due to needing to roll it up without dropping it on the floor, still it took less than 5 minutes this morning.

The downside is that because its quite thick material its a little bulky when taken off and there isn't a nice storage bag for it (it comes in a thick plastic bag so thats what I'm using). I suspect with practice I can roll it up tighter so it takes up less boot space and probably quicker. Its also not the cheapest cover out there, but you get what you pay for and I hope this will last for a few years.
HI RedSpider124, it looks good. Does it fit with the top up or only with it down? Some of the other brands don't fit with the top up. I'm currently using the SILA one Madness it is a year old and it is beginning to fray and weaken due to the SoCal sun. I'm in the market for a new one. Your response is appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Dave,
It goes over the top with the top up - its not rigid so won't stay up with the top down.
I'm using it to keep ice & frost off my roof and windows, its quicker to take the cover off and fold it up than to de-ice the glass.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Hi Dave,
It goes over the top with the top up - its not rigid so won't stay up with the top down.
I'm using it to keep ice & frost off my roof and windows, its quicker to take the cover off and fold it up than to de-ice the glass.
Thanks RedSpider124 Cheers

·
Premium Member
2017 Abarth
167 Posts
they insist it is designed for the Fiat 124[...]good at telling me it was my problem I didn't like the design
The tone "Chris" took with me, too, both on the CHMSL cut-out and whether it's really "silver" in color. Here's a photo of it against "Grigio Argento Aluminum" (Mazda "Aluminum Metallic") paint code 38P:

Received it Friday the 10th, just put it up on ebay.

·
Registered
729 Posts
I got the Sila dome cover from Madness, works great, fits nice (Velcros around the mirrors and door handles, weighted sections under the wiper arms and trunk), folds up into its bag. Car is only driven on nice, sunny days, kept stored inside a storage unit, so hoping this dome cover will last a good long time...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts