Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
I believe I saw something that said. Only OEM replacement parts were acceptable. So anything that stands out will be a ringer. That's why I asked, are some mods like a GFB DV+ even detectable.
Still, there is a lot of shaking out to be done. People are all over the place on all the media sources. It will be of interest to of us all how this plays out.

On the face of it, it sure looks like a money grab. Especially if the LE only makes a judgment call and does not have a db meter that records a proper sound level.
I have another legal question about the LEO. Do they have the right to look under your hood/ bonnet to see if they can determine if you are also in violation of CARB laws? Can you refuse a search when asked? Like, "May I look in your trunk/ boot."?

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
LOL, people outside California be like

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
LOL, people outside California be like

I’m just waiting for the folks in Denver and Boulder to latch on to this and decide it’s good for all of us in Colorado.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Just make sure you don’t do the test at 6 am. Thanks for doing this.

Dan
Literally came on here to say the same thing. https://youtu.be/ZuFGefw_1s4

Around 8:50 is where he talks about how they test.
The thought of possibly being sent to a state ref makes me want to go stock.. intakes, intercooler, catch cans, diverter valves are all technically illegal in California I believe

@depotdan, I just did the sound test. I got very weird results that I hope someone else can double check. My first test was according to the above video, 19.5 inches at a 45 degree to the muffler at muffler height. I was in a school parking lot. I was using a Radio Shack digital sound meter. Here are the results:

Idle: 69dB
2000: 102 dB
4000: 104 dB
6000: 97 dB

I then repeated the test at 10 feet centered on the rear, muffler height.

Idle: 70 dB
2000: 90 dB
4000: 102 dB
6000: 90 dB

I can't explain why it's less loud at virtually WOT except to say the sound has much less bass and boom at WOT.

For those following this I have a Goodwin Racing resonated catback exhaust with the Goodwin Racing Sportcat downpipe.

·
Registered
971 Posts
@depotdan, I just did the sound test. I got very weird results that I hope someone else can double check. My first test was according to the above video, 19.5 inches at a 45 degree to the muffler at muffler height. I was in a school parking lot. I was using a Radio Shack digital sound meter. Here are the results:

I can't explain why it's less loud at virtually WOT except to say the sound has much less bass and boom at WOT.

For those following this I have a Goodwin Racing resonated catback exhaust with the Goodwin Racing Sportcat downpipe.
@Chainringtattoo that’s for being the first to tackle this issue and sharing the results.
I would be interested in hearing how @Good-Win Racing tests for this since they say it passes inspection for his autocross events.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
@Chainringtattoo that’s for being the first to tackle this issue and sharing the results.
I would be interested in hearing how @Good-Win Racing tests for this since they say it passes inspection for his autocross events.
No problem. I was curious about the results myself. BTW, my wife has an annoyingly loud juicer that I hate every time she fires up. I thought surely it's louder than my exhaust. Nope. Only 88 dB. :(

·
Registered
3,350 Posts

So much for the GWR with resonator and SportCat meeting 95 dB autocross requirements LOL.

·
124 Spider Vendor
899 Posts
Every time we race local we have sound limits here in California. For San Diego Stadium events the sound meter guy records your car number when over 90db, reports any car by radio over 91db. It has been that way many years and our Fiat 124 has never been close to that limit. Lot's of stock exhausts bust that limit, owners of Shelby GT500 and even Jag F type have to modify their stock exhausts to more quiet to run with us. Meanwhile, state law on limits did not actually change, has been same 95db year after year and none of our systems have had issue year after year after year after year. The 'sky is falling' response in the forums is just what is expected of forums, lots of drama without much reality. I don't anticipate an issue.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
Every time we race local we have sound limits here in California. For San Diego Stadium events the sound meter guy records your car number when over 90db, reports any car by radio over 91db. It has been that way many years and our Fiat 124 has never been close to that limit. Lot's of stock exhausts bust that limit, owners of Shelby GT500 and even Jag F type have to modify their stock exhausts to more quiet to run with us. Meanwhile, state law on limits did not actually change, has been same 95db year after year and none of our systems have had issue year after year after year after year. The 'sky is falling' response in the forums is just what is expected of forums, lots of drama without much reality. I don't anticipate an issue.
This isn't really an issue for me as I don't live in California but I'm curious how you test loudness and how they do it at your events. As you can see from my results above, the sound meter doesn't lie. The exhaust easily exceeds 95 dB before WOT depending on where you test from.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
I’m just waiting for the folks in Denver and Boulder to latch on to this and decide it’s good for all of us in Colorado.
You mean there's more to Colorado than Denver and Boulder? Who knew...;)

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
You mean there's more to Colorado than Denver and Boulder? Who knew...;)
No, no. It's just Denver and Boulder. Nothing on this side of the Rockies to see. Move along...

·
772 Posts
How does this law apply to motorcycles? I have no doubt that Harleys are louder than our cars. Noise is noise regardless of where it emanates from. I guess it kills the legal weed buzz that people have in CA ha ha

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
How does this law apply to motorcycles? I have no doubt that Harleys are louder than our cars. Noise is noise regardless of where it emanates from. I guess it kills the legal weed buzz that people have in CA ha ha
I believe motorcycles are exempt. Go figure.

Dan

·
Registered
227 Posts

I wonder where law enforcement measures from. I know at SCCA events, they measure sound from 50 feet. I also know an engine is MUCH louder under load than just revving in idle.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
I wonder where law enforcement measures from. I know at SCCA events, they measure sound from 50 feet. I also know an engine is MUCH louder under load than just revving in idle.
You've been in my car. Do you consider it a quiet car? I don't.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I don't. I don't consider mine with the AR non-resonated to be quiet, either. But I know it passes the 95dB limit at SCCA events with plenty of room to spare. I just have never asked how much room that is. I just know one guy said "don't worry about it, you aren't close." Also remember dB is logarithmic. An increase in 10dB is a 2x increase in volume pressure.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
41 - 60 of 73 Posts