Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I want a meatier tire and wider rim. I have a classica with progressive springs and factory shocks. Will the Advanti storm S117 rim 17x8 offset of 45 fit a 235/40/17 tire without rubbing or bottoming out over bumps?. Thanks in advance, I am pretty clueless about this.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Brian Goodwin has the ultimate fitment advice in the forum on his site. Go there and become enlightened!
Best regards
Pete.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I think I want a meatier tire and wider rim. I have a classica with progressive springs and factory shocks. Will the Advanti storm S117 rim 17x8 offset of 45 fit a 235/40/17 tire without rubbing or bottoming out over bumps?. Thanks in advance, I am pretty clueless about this.
Hi Fiatbreath, I've had 225x45x17 on a 17x8 rim and 17x7.5 with plenty of room and no issues. My tire guy and I measured and visually checked the clearance and no issues and it appears I can go to 235x40x17 with no problems either. My rims 17x8 were Konig and the 17x7.5 are OZ. Cheers,

·
Registered
291 Posts
Thank you my friend.
You're welcome anytime!! The hardest part for me was getting the right wheel for the car. I've changed to the OZ Formula4 HLTs. I like the look. Cheers,

Attachments

Reactions: Chaddy

·
833 Posts
Here is my personal experience...

I installed the Enkie TS10 on our Lusso and 124 Spider Abarth and the improvement in the handling was noticeable. The car felt more planted and stable, just felt better all around. The Enkies are a nice look for the Spider and fairly light weight at 17.6 lbs each. I chose to go with a sticky Nitto NT05 235/40-17s. No rubbing even with lowered suspension on coilovers.

If I were starting a mod list, wheels and tires would be near the top along with springs or coilovers.

Check it out

Here is a photo of the stock Abarth tire vs the Nitto 235/40-17s

·
Registered
291 Posts

Attachments

·
833 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
May look okay. Unless you are doing auto-x, I think 235 are too much for it as a road car.

·
Super Moderator
1,281 Posts
Brian Goodwin is probably the best guy for tire/wheel information. You will be surprised to learn that the biggest /widest combinations aren't always the best choice. Seriously, this guy's forum is the best place for this discussion.
Check it out.
Best regards
Pete

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Unless you are going to mod the car for power, putting significantly wider rubber on it will make it more about mechanical grip and less about fun handling. I know Brian Goodwin uses 9" rims and 255 tires for auto-x, but even he admits this will ruin it as a fun road car.

·
833 Posts
Unless you are going to mod the car for power, putting significantly wider rubber on it will make it more about mechanical grip and less about fun handling. I know Brian Goodwin uses 9" rims and 255 tires for auto-x, but even he admits this will ruin it as a fun road car.
All I know is that with this combo, the car feels so much better. I agree, there is a point of diminishing returns, I do not think that this has reached the point yet though.

It all depends on what you want out of a cars handling. The stock, skinnier tires were fine but the wider wheels and tires give the car a more slot car feel.

I realize it is not practical but I offer this car to anyone who wants to try it out and see how it feels. If you are nearby to East Tennessee, look me up and see for yourself.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Brian Goodwin has the ultimate fitment advice in the forum on his site. Go there and become enlightened!
Best regards
Pete.
How do you get to Brian Goodwins forum?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts