Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I've just signed the paperwork for a 3 year old Anniversary special edition and will be picking it up on the 21st of this month ( will be a very slow 2 weeks ) and was wondering at what mileage people tend to change the cambelt. Reading the service schedule I've found on line, it refers to the accessory belt being changed at 80000 miles or 8 years. I presume the reference to Accessory belt is the cam/timing belt and if so, is it wise to leave this unchanged for 80000 miles. Also can someone confirm whether UK cars get locking wheel nuts as standard as Ive seen a number of site advertising them under the accessories section - many thanks

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
It's the engine drive belt, 1b in the photo below. The manual does specify to change at 40,000 miles if driven in dusty conditions. I would inspect the belt and if you don't see any cracks or separations you are good to go. But I would change at 80,000 miles no matter how it looks. I'm sorry I can't answer the question regarding the wheel nuts.

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
It's the engine drive belt, 1b in the photo below. The manual does specify to change at 40,000 miles if driven in dusty conditions. I would inspect the belt and if you don't see any cracks or separations you are good to go. But I would change at 80,000 miles no matter how it looks. I'm sorry I can't answer the question regarding the wheel nuts.

View attachment 73381
You have 80K miles to go!! drive and enjoy

·
Registered
706 Posts
Congrats on the deal, I hope it is a good car, but hopefully not my original one (#62) which I returned due to paint issues. Accessory belt refers to the belt that drives the a/c compressor and alternator. I'm not sure what the service interval is for the cam belt. As for locking wheel nuts, yes the car should have come with them as standard, although in reality it meant that the accessory locking wheel nut kit should have been in the boot (trunk) when the car was delivered and the dealer should have fitted them as part of the pre-delivery work.

·
Premium Member
2,317 Posts
As for locking wheel nuts, my assessment would be that none of the Spiders come with them as standard equipment in any of the trim lines. They're always listed in the accessories catalogue as an OEM after purchase item. If you need them, you may as well order them from your dealer's parts department, and upon delivery, IF it does actually have them installed, you can cancel the order. The odds are strongly against a parts return being needed.

·
Registered
706 Posts
My understanding was that in the UK, locking wheel nuts were thrown in (the boot/trunk)...unlike cup holders

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
My understanding was that in the UK, locking wheel nuts were thrown in (the boot/trunk)...unlike cup holders
Different countries priorities! You’d never sell a car in the US without cup holders! It’s probably a federal offense or something...

·
Registered
177 Posts
Mine came with locking wheel nuts, but they have a different drive size to the wheel nuts so I need two different wheel braces!

·
Registered
706 Posts
Mine came with locking wheel nuts, but they have a different drive size to the wheel nuts so I need two different wheel braces!
Ooh, I never knew that (never taken the wheels off) how crazy is that?

·
Registered
177 Posts
Was pointed out to me by the tyre fitter. It is obviously just the key bit in a different size - I assumed it was a dealership mistake, not standard issue

Not being supplied with a wheelnut wrench at all, it is not that easy to spot!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all for the for the replies. I've confirmed with the dealer that the car does have locking wheels nuts and that its not number 62 with the paint issues mentioned by azzura. (Must admit I was in a bit of a flap until they confirmed it was a different number)

·
Registered
161 Posts
If you are referring to the TIMING belt, it's 150,000 miles. Finding out the car had a belt .vs. a chain was a definite deal-breaker, until the salesman showed me the maintenance schedule on the owner's manual page as proof of what he said.... Yep, 150,000 miles ! Bought the car, and complemented the salesman on his knowledge of the product!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts