Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife and I have two kids under 4yrs old. SUV for her, my old high school coupe for me. I'm looking into FIAT 124s as the coupe dies.

I assume that if I need to take the kids somewhere I'll just take the SUV and she can take the 124 if she needs to be somewhere at the same time.

On paper, this is super impractical. But in practice, I don't see too many obstacles.

What am I missing?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,820 Posts
All depends on your family's commitment to it. I grew up in the 70s with one car in the family and parents working opposite shifts. My brother and I got LOTS of passenger miles and crazy sleep schedules.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What is an old high school coupe? Creating fun memories with one kid at a time in the 124 sounds like a worthy cause to me.
'07 scion tc. So if I have to, I can get kids in the back. But it's definitely not a joy.

And I like your thinking

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
First Q....The Wife...Is she on board with this ? Second, Finance, two tiddler's under 4 yrs, rent.mortgage, bills, laws, are they allowed in Spider ? Third, Extra motoring costs, initial, not much following as they are really cheap to run, and reliable ? If you can convince the Wife that a Spider will be a long term investment (which it is) so a great idea and you can factor in and justify the initial outlay and running costs, well then.....start looking, otherwise . save. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
No kids here, but... if the temptation/need to put a kid in this car arises, I don't know if the passenger seat of this car us a good place for such a young child. The relatively deep bucket seat probably isn't going to play well with whatever child seat restraint devices they may legally be required to be strapped into. And, I'd think a small, lightweight child meeting an exploding air bag in an accident won't fair very well through the event. I think this is a big reason why kids under a certain age/weight are required by most states (or federal?) to be belted in at the rear seats. I wonder what the Spider owner's manual says about the topic? You can view it online.

I'm all for you buying one if it doesn't tax the household finances, doesn't burden marital harmony, and in my opinion, the kids are kept out of it. But if both adults like the idea of it as a second car that only adults will travel in, get yours now before they disappear. It's a great car for date night while the babysitter watches the kids!

Steve.

Reactions: Dumbdad

·
Registered
622 Posts
A car seat goes right in easily. I did set the seat back a little more upright so it matched the angle of the car seat. The passenger airbags were off with the car seat installed.

I took my 4 year old grandson for a ride a couple of weeks ago. It was his first time in a convertible, and he was a little apprehensive at first. But he loved it. The downside is, now I will have to install the car seat and take him for a ride every time I see him!

Reactions: Ledfoot and Dumbdad

·
Registered
949 Posts
I was there 15+ years ago with a Miata, and it worked out fine. Often only one kid needs to be transported, and ours LOVED the car (and the dad time).

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Front seat has fricking isofix!! And a tether. I have had a friends kid in mine as he wanted a go. No issues.

No kids myself, but it seems fine.. I was ferried about in much worse haha

·
Registered
2,610 Posts
Dumbdad, should read informative DAD, what you're missing is the 124 spider in your drive way.
Family business take the SUV
Your kids are too young to seat in the spider cause of the safety factor(here, you have to be a certain age and weight to seat in front seat, otherwise booster seat in the back)
The 124 spider well, if you weren't interesed, you would not meintion it, it's killing you inside, you want to have it and before none in 2021.
When babysitting the young ones, you and Madame can go out with fashion, sporty and good old days before you had the kids.

Hurry to the dealer before July 4th specials and rebates go way. LOL
Bonne Chance!

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'll play devil's avocado here: get an E46 M3 convertible instead. 4 real seats for you, the wife, and the kids to all have adventures together. I'd get one for $10-12k and budget $5-10k to get it all freshened up. My old man still has the one he bought new in '02. You can have the whole family with you while you hit 8000rpm. When you want a 2-seater, the factory wind deflector does a good job of making the cabin feel more roadster-y.

·
Registered
211 Posts
There is a trunk luggage rack onto which I'm sure you can strap a child seat.

*Legal disclaimer: do not take my advice seriously

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
592 Posts
We don't have kids and two VERY small dogs. On our way to FFO we will drop them at our friend's house in Greenville SC. We will take two cars...
Sadly, I don't think this is the car for parents with two kids and only two cars. It's doable but you may regret it.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I do this now actually and very rarely run into problems. My wife doesn't work however, so it works out well in my situation.

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
My kids were 5 and 3 when I got the Spider. Our second car is a dull-but-worthy KIA SUV. In the three years since, its been a genuine issue maybe two or three times.

·
Registered
25 Posts
The 124 is a great car as a Dad. I use the Cosco Finale DX-2 child seat. The little one is currently 4 and fits well. Just like with trucks, if you don’t have a rear seat, it is perfectly legal to have a child seat in the front seat. The child-seats center strap can be fed through/into the stock seats just below the head rest, and latched to a bar in the lower inside of the seat. There are zippers on the back of the stock seats to get into the inside. Otherwise, it is a standard child seat install using the cars seat belt to strap it in. There is no LATCH system. But be warned; there will be gold fish crackers all over that side of the car.

IMG_E4063.JPG IMG_4065.JPG IMG_4070.JPG

-Matt

·
Registered
26 Posts
In 1995, my 9 year old Audi was more than tired. My wife (she’s wonderful by the way), both kids (14 and 9) and I were at the local Dodge dealership looking for a new car for me. We did a lot of camping back then so I was thinking about a Dodge Caravan. As I’m sitting in the driver’s seat, my wife comes up and says “I can’t be married to a man who drives a van”. Did I mention that she was wonderful? Next to the Caravan was a Viper, so I pointed to it and said “Well, what about …”. She interrupts me and says “You can’t afford it.”. Next to the Viper was a Stealth. So, continuing down that road, I said “what about the Stealth?” Her answer “If you can fit all of us in it, ok.” Well, the kids knees were in their faces, but they fit and I bought the Stealth.

Kept that car 11 years, we went camping in it, took short trips (never more than 4 hours) in it, took the kids to school, etc. Bottom line was that having an impractical car didn’t keep us from doing much at all – we just had to “adjust” how we did it. She had a Honda Civic, so that was the “family” car.

Kids are gone now, the Stealth is gone, the replacement Mustang GT Convertible is gone, but the 124 is here – it’s big enough for two, the boot is really large enough for a whole lot of luggage, and everyone loves it. Most fun car I’ve had since my old Healey died in a flood. If you like it, buy it. If your wife likes it, buy it sooner. Yes, you can only put one kid in it at a time, but as they grow up, they probably won’t mind. Our kids didn’t want my wife to drive them to high school in her Honda. I could take them anywhere in the Stealth and they were happy to be chauffeured, even seen with their old man.

REI makes quick dry clothes. There are threads here with choices for luggage that fits the boot. You can put the convertible up in three seconds (or less) when it starts to rain. It does fine in light snow (with all-season tires), and looks and sounds great. The 6-speed manual is fun to drive and really reminds one of what driving is all about.
In case you can’t tell – I think it’s a great car.

And with young kids - back when I bought the Stealth, I also had an old Austin Healey Sprite - the child safety seats fit (sort of) and the kids liked being driven in that too.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I kept my 4-door commuter when I bought the Spider, in case I needed to haul the family around (wife, college kid, 11yo, me = 4). Have driven that 4-door exactly twice around the block in over 9 months. Your situation is a little different, i know. When all this Rona BS ends, I intended to sell that 4 door, but now I don't think I will, and why I think you should hang onto that paid-for Scion.

Fiat isn't making these cars anymore. In fact, nobody is going to be making cars like this ever again. Japanese build quality / Italian styling and tuning. Modern technology. Internal combustion. Forced induction. Human pilots. Manual transmission. Convertible!

I intend to keep my 124 in my family forever, passed down through the generations like a treasured family heirloom. I intend to stop driving it as much as I have and drive that 4-door into the ground, at which point I will get another car to abuse while I lovingly cherish my 124 on weekend trips with the wife, no kids allowed. (I did just that this past weekend, and she commented again about how comfortable this car is on long trips)

This car is cheap, reliable, and fun as hell. It costs me about 35 bucks (SoCal premium gas prices) to fill up. The insurance on this drop top turbo was actually cheaper than my 8 year old 4-door.

There is a Classica for sale in my neighborhood. I drive past it all the time hoping that I run into the poor misguided soul who has decided to deprive themselves of this little bundle of joy, AND TALK THEM OUT OF SELLING IT. If I can talk some sense into them, maybe I can get my wings. If you are out and about and hear a little bell...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts