Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I or efer the Abart because of the power delivery in "Sport" mode. It seems the power band is moved down a few hundred rpm's. My lady feels the exhaust is a bit to loud for her, if she isn't happy either am I. :(

Is there a solution, other then ear plugs for her, that will make us both happy and maintain that "Sport" power band. :D

Paul

·
Registered
289 Posts
Guessing this isn't a US Abarth. If it has the dual exhaust valve, maybe there's a way to stop the valve from opening or a switch?

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

I had to stick my head up the tailpipes to hear the stock exhaust system, too quiet!

But you're not not my lady! :eek:

I'm in the process of shopping and we've had lengthy test drives in a Lusso, Abarth, and an RF. We enjoy our music and will take long trips. The rap of the Abarth drowns out the tunes and is fatiguing when spending long hours on the road. When I feel the need for a loud exhaust I'll ojump on on of my motorcycles. :D

Paul

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
D
Guessing this isn't a US Abarth. If it has the dual exhaust valve, maybe there's a way to stop the valve from opening or a switch?
Yes I'm in the US. Tell me more about the exhaust valve, I didn't realize Spider had one.

Paul

·
Registered
57 Posts
Don't let the noise scare you away from an Abarth, by far, one of the coolest cars I own.

We have listened to books on tape and the noise was on the border of unacceptable with the top down at highway speeds.

For all other situations turn the music up loud, you won't hear the exhaust at all!

·
Registered
193 Posts
D

Yes I'm in the US. Tell me more about the exhaust valve, I didn't realize Spider had one.

Paul
The US cars don’t get them. The Abarths in Europe cost $10k more than here and have a Record Monza exhaust, which is about 10x louder than the US exhaust even at idle. It gets crazier from there when the valve opens at higher rpms.

There isn’t likely to be any good option in the aftermarket for a quieter Abarth exhaust. I’d think that your best bet would be to find a stock exhaust from a Classica or Lusso model that someone replaced, assuming that the sound levels on either of those is more to your liking.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Have an exhaust shop add a resonator to the midpipe.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I or efer the Abart because of the power delivery in "Sport" mode. It seems the power band is moved down a few hundred rpm's. My lady feels the exhaust is a bit to loud for her, if she isn't happy either am I. :(

Is there a solution, other then ear plugs for her, that will make us both happy and maintain that "Sport" power band. :D

Paul
If you want to put the muffler on from a Lusso version I can sell you mine. I put an AR muffler delete on my car. The Lusso exhaust is quieter. (I wanted more sound and resonance). PM me if interested.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you want to put the muffler on from a Lusso version I can sell you mine. I put an AR muffler delete on my car. The Lusso exhaust is quieter. (I wanted more sound and resonance). PM me if interested.
Thanks for all the help and good information, seems there may be more then one way to dunk this donut. :D

Jacaso.... I'm not scared, just looking to provide the driving experience that is best for me and my lady. For us more noise does not always translate to more cool. If I wanted cool I'd own a F-type...... hmmmmm maybe I will. :laugh:

Paul

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
I think it’s the same muffler. The difference between the cars is the Classica/Lusso has a resonator in the midpipe.

·
Registered
193 Posts
At least the tips on the muffler are different, not sure about the insides. Might need to do a whole cat-back swap to get everything. There’s also the issue of auto or stick, the cross pipe is different between them.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
At least the tips on the muffler are different, not sure about the insides. Might need to do a whole cat-back swap to get everything. There’s also the issue of auto or stick, the cross pipe is different between them.
I don’t think that’s true of the stock crosspipe.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I think it’s the same muffler. The difference between the cars is the Classica/Lusso has a resonator in the midpipe.
Does that mean I could change midpipes in an Abarth to one with a resonator? Any ideas on where here could I get said pipe?

Paul

·
Registered
185 Posts
Thanks for all the help and good information, seems there may be more then one way to dunk this donut. :D

Jacaso.... I'm not scared, just looking to provide the driving experience that is best for me and my lady. For us more noise does not always translate to more cool. If I wanted cool I'd own a F-type...... hmmmmm maybe I will. :laugh:

Paul
I had an F-Type for 2 years. It was def. louder than my Abarth.

:nerd:

·
Registered
193 Posts
I don’t think that’s true of the stock crosspipe.
GWR had to make a different either cross-pipe or mid-pipe for the autos. They posted pictures somewhere showing how the stock pipe was necked down an extra 1/4" to clear the larger auto transmission.

Actually, from their website it looks like they have distinct versions of both the mid-pipe and cross-pipe for the autos.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2101.html

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2102.html

I'm not sure if both were different in the stock piece, but I remember the photos showing at least one.

Edit: Some discussion of what they did for them here: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=8301968&postcount=29

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
GWR had to make a different either cross-pipe or mid-pipe for the autos. They posted pictures somewhere showing how the stock pipe was necked down an extra 1/4" to clear the larger auto transmission.

Actually, from their website it looks like they have distinct versions of both the mid-pipe and cross-pipe for the autos.

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2101.html

http://www.good-win-racing.com/Mazda-Performance-Part/61-2102.html

I'm not sure if both were different in the stock piece, but I remember the photos showing at least one.

Edit: Some discussion of what they did for them here: https://forum.miata.net/vb/showpost.php?p=8301968&postcount=29
Yes, I know GWR had to offer different size crosspipes for each transmission. I do not believe that the OEM piece varies with transmission.

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
Does that mean I could change midpipes in an Abarth to one with a resonator? Any ideas on where here could I get said pipe?

Paul
My guess is that the OEM midpipe from a Classica/Lusso would be plug and play. I don’t know for a fact, though. But if you want to quiet it up, the easiest thing to do would be to have a muffler shop add a resonator to your midpipe.

·
Registered
480 Posts
in response, the GWR mid pipe will fit in place of a stock mid pipe. the difference in the at/mt version is the diameter of the tubing. mt is 2.5", at is 2.25" tubing. the stock tubing is the same diameter in both at and mt configurations... the addition of an e-bay resonator to the stock mid pipe would probably be the most economical method of further quieting the note. a resonator can be purchased for about $75.00 and the labor charged from a local muffler shop. as an installation note, I would recommend placing the resonator forward in the cavity for the miata catalytic converter. there is some extra room there and much less of a chance of rattling against the body....

·
Registered
587 Posts
I will repeat what others have said: just add the resonator and it will sound exactly the way the Classica and Lusso models sound (if it is a US car).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts