Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks everyone for the help. First step is now complete - I bought the car and drove it home yesterday!

Tonight, I purchased the lower seat rails so I my head wont touch the top.

RE: Engine mods - for the time being I'm enjoying the car as is. I'm having enough fun working the car through the gears. But I suspect some light tuning and doodads will be in my future.

On a side note - I stopped to get a coffee on my trip home last night at a gas station. I came out and a guy asked me what kind of car it was. I told him it was a Fiat and he said "Sweet car!".

·
Registered
676 Posts
Lightchop: Welcome aboard. Sweet car indeed!! Just be very careful of some of us on this forum....we are more than willing to help you spend money on mods. And yes, you will mod!! GoFastBits DV+ is your first stop...just saying...

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Lightchop: Welcome aboard. Sweet car indeed!! Just be very careful of some of us on this forum....we are more than willing to help you spend money on mods. And yes, you will mod!! GoFastBits DV+ is your first stop...just saying...
Thanks for the warning!

Yes I think once I get the seats lowered, I'll bite the bullet on the ECU tune and DV+.

Couple questions for you:
  • When it comes to working on cars, I know the difference between a screwdriver and a spoon. Both the ECU and DV+ seem like "easy" installs - am I getting in over my head trying to do this myself? Realize that I'd be doing whatever is written down in their install guide and on their youtube post, nothing more. Are there some obvious steps I should be taking that are not in the video?
  • I've read lots of reviews on the DV+, various claims of what it actually does. How would you describe the difference?
Thanks!

·
Registered
676 Posts
The installs are fairly straight forward for the mechanically inclined. Depending on your selected tune the degree of difficulty varies, however, any (experienced) auto tech can get the job done fairly quickly. The DV+ is less than an hour to do, with a couple of caveats: Taking precautions not to lose any dropped bolts into the engine...a rag under the work area works well..check the forum...Reading the instructions several times before tackling the job is advised.

The DV+ does not add power as such, but overcomes the the loss of boost during shifts (Manual) and helps tractability in the 2000RPM range ..I noticed a nice difference with mine and have not looked back. I'm sure others will chime in here. There is a wealth of knowledge to be had. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I experienced boost loss when up shifting which the DV+ solved. You'll be surprised at the quality of it compared to the stock item. You'll be happy knowing it's there.

If you remove the connector when installing you mustn't forget to replace it otherwise you'll get a CEL if you start the car, and may need to visit a dealer to remove it (unless you're equipped to do that yourself). Sounds obvious but it's easy to do. Dropping the bolts are real easy and they'll end up in an alternate dimension so you need to concentrate.

·
Registered
83 Posts
If you remove the connector when installing you mustn't forget to replace it otherwise you'll get a CEL if you start the car, and may need to visit a dealer to remove it (unless you're equipped to do that yourself). Sounds obvious but it's easy to do.
Yes, very easy to do. Ask me how I know... :ROFLMAO:

Lucky for me, I have a scanner.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
OK, I bit. Seat rails coming tomorrow, so hoping to have installed same day (I have all the tools ready).

Given I'll have some downtime, I also pulled the trigger on the EC Euro+Drive ECU tuning, and the DV+. Should give me something to do this weekend in the garage.

·
Registered
83 Posts
OK, I bit. Seat rails coming tomorrow, so hoping to have installed same day (I have all the tools ready).

Given I'll have some downtime, I also pulled the trigger on the EC Euro+Drive ECU tuning, and the DV+. Should give me something to do this weekend in the garage.
Good for you.
I order the V1 intake, and the Euro+Drive Tuning System yesterday...
Supposed to be here tomorrow!

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

Good choices.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yup....this whole thing was a piece of cake. EC makes it pretty darn easy.
Euro+Drive arrived Wednesday evening.
Thursday morning I pulled my stock tune, and uploaded it. Phase 1 tune was available by noon.
Had it loaded and running in no time at all. Managed to get a short test ride in, and first impression is good, very good.
Hoping to get out today for an extended drive.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Can agree. Did the same this week myself and the whole process was great with good support from the guys at EC to any queries I had.

The way phase 1 changes the top end is pretty mad if people are used to the stock tune which feels very wheezy past 5k. Realise loads on here are now used to phase 2+ but phase 1 with suitable mods puts the car where it should be really.

Edit - I meant should have been from stock!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Based on what has been presented in this thread, why do some people get the phase 1 tune, and others get the phase 2 tune? I thought no mods were absolutely required for phase 2?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,329 Posts
You must upgrade the intercooler for Phase 2, everything else is optional.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
and the air intake as well if memory serves me right. Either the V2 or V4

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
I usually suggest that people start with the EC Phase 1 tune. For most people it given enough power. Then if desired you can always move to Phase 2. The downside of higher power levels is the need for more supporting mods. Once you start going up much above 200hp you should really have a bigger intercooler and a free flowing cold air intake.

Greg

·
Registered
531 Posts
I usually suggest that people start with the EC Phase 1 tune. For most people it given enough power. Then if desired you can always move to Phase 2. The downside of higher power levels is the need for more supporting mods. Once you start going up much above 200hp you should really have a bigger intercooler and a free flowing cold air intake.

Greg
Start there yes. For most people, its enough, well, if they haven't driven phase 3, mebbe...

I never felt like ph 1 was enough. Never felt like phase 2 was enough.

Phase 3 is definitely enough for most people i think! Anxiously awaiting 68wooley opinion....

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Start there yes. For most people, its enough, well, if they haven't driven phase 3, mebbe...

I never felt like ph 1 was enough. Never felt like phase 2 was enough.

Phase 3 is definitely enough for most people i think! Anxiously awaiting 68wooley opinion....
Rub it in!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Based on what has been presented in this thread, why do some people get the phase 1 tune, and others get the phase 2 tune? I thought no mods were absolutely required for phase 2?
This is precisely the confusion that led me to start this thread. I was completely lost on the EC website trying to piece together "required" and "nice to haves". One of the first responses I got led me to an image on their website that listed the phases and the requirements per phase. And subsequently, I also found this link for phase 1 and 2: FIAT 124 ABARTH/SPIDER EURO+DRIVE BUILD GUIDE - EUROCOMPULSION

I would encourage EC to modify the website so that when you choose your automobile, you are presented with basically a phase-list that you can interact with / click / buy. I get it that some things are required, some are recommended, and some are nice to have, but I have to think some people just get turned off by how overwhelming everything is.

My phase 1 tune and DV+ are due to arrive tomorrow. Tune is definitely going in. DV will require some research before I get the nerve to install. I will say I have identified a driving characteristic that I am hoping the DV will address. I'll evaluate after the tune so I can determine just what the DV is doing for driving feel.

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Honestly, I’m not clear on how this is difficult. Sorry.

85EF513E-85A5-498F-A3C8-9A8218AA612D.jpeg

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Honestly, I’m not clear on how this is difficult. Sorry.

View attachment 75367
Yes, that is the image that I had not found by myself. And yes, that is a very helpful image that addresses 99% of why I started this thread.

What I mentioned in my most recent post is that I would have had a much easier time had this image been front and center after I chose "i want to tune my 124 spider". Instead, I spent literally a few days on the website (and their competitors websites) getting overwhelmed by all of the doo-dads that I didnt understand what went with what.

One major caveat that I may not have made clear up front - I am a know-nothing clown when it comes to working on cars. I can manage to put gas in the tank and that's about it. If you opened the hood on any of my cars and asked me to point to the turbo, I'm not sure I'd be able to find it. But I love cars, and have always loved old manual spiders, hence I'm here now.

I might represent only 1% of the potential customer base, but I have to think the median consumer of these products would benefit with basically that image, but inline text with hyperlinks to go buy all of the pieces.

In full disclosure - I'm a technologist and have spent lots of time trying to make esoteric financial data and information easy to digest, so I know well the "why cant people understand this" perspective. It just sucks when you're on the "I don't understand any of this" side of things.

I should add that my experience with EC has been all positive to date, I'm even impressed by the tuning website process. So I don't want this to be a rant against them. Chalk it up to me just being inexperienced in automotive maintenance.

21 - 40 of 75 Posts