Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My understanding was that Fiat was no longer producing the 124. I’ve been searching for a manual Abarth in Mare Blue with no luck. While on my local dealers website, I was invited to chat with a representative, so I asked if they could search for me. An hour later I got a call from a salesperson telling me that there we no such cars available, but if I was up for waiting 9 months they could order me one. (At least they’d take a deposit from me!) Anyway, I think the sales guy was just not up to speed on the current supply situation. Then I started wondering if I was the one who was miss-informed. Can anyone cite a source that definitively says the 124 has ceased production?

Thanks, -Steve

·
Registered
499 Posts
My understanding was that Fiat was no longer producing the 124. I’ve been searching for a manual Abarth in Mare Blue with no luck. While on my local dealers website, I was invited to chat with a representative, so I asked if they could search for me. An hour later I got a call from a salesperson telling me that there we no such cars available, but if I was up for waiting 9 months they could order me one. (At least they’d take a deposit from me!) Anyway, I think the sales guy was just not up to speed on the current supply situation. Then I started wondering if I was the one who was miss-informed. Can anyone cite a source that definitively says the 124 has ceased production?

Thanks, -Steve

They are currently building them but they are delayed due to COVID-19 or that is what I've heard

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
Maybe some in transit, but they wouldn’t be nine months out. Not much more time to build 2020s. At some point they have to start calling them 2021s. And I don’t think that is going to happen.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Go to your local trusted stealer and see what they say. But tell you need an answer within 2 weeks, or call or write to FCA.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This morning I called Fiat USA and asked the call taker this question. They said they'd put me on hold and ask their Brand Mentor. He said "yes", the dealer can still special order a car from the factory. Didn't say what model year it would be or the lead time. But he did confirm the dealership can still order a car. -Steve

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
‘Brand Mentor’?

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks, -Steve
There may be a white on in Waco Texas at the local Fiat /Dodge dealer. (Allen Samuel Dodge) Also there were a couple in Austin TX at the Fiat dealer. Good Luck

·
Registered
881 Posts
I am in BC, Canada, at the moment visiting. I hadn’t been here in 7 months. Found out that the local Fiat dealer has since folded. The brand-new building had opened less than two years ago.

When I hear cr*p like “Brand Mentor” and see what’s going on with existing Fiat “studios,” can’t help but think that they focused too much on fluff and not enough on the nuts-and-bolts required to make Fiat a success.

It’s all very sad.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
432 Posts
I was an "early adopter" back in '11 when I bought a 500.

The "studio" was a double wide mobile home in the parking lot of a dodge dealer, had no heat, but did have lipstick red leather bar stools at a super white counter where one would....I dont know....sit.

I did all of the paperwork in the regular dodge dealership since the shack didn't even have power.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Yeah. Back in 2012, FCA wanted my CDJR dealer in Southern California to take up a Fiat franchise. The dealer wasn’t interested but, at FCA’s insistence, they gave Fiat a try for a year.

They cleared part of the parking lot and set up a separate temporary structure. It looked like shit from the outside but it was very European chic inside. They hired a handful of people and trained them as Fiat advocates. I recall going in one time to inquire about the 500e. I have to admit the salesperson...ehem...advocate...was quite friendly and knowledgeable.

After the year-long trial was up the dealer declined. It’d cost him $1M for the franchise + $1M to get the land and setup a separate building; but he just didn’t see the business being sufficient to cover so much overhead, let alone make money. And time proved him right.

Fiat returned to North America in denial of the terrible reputation it had left behind 30 years ago. Marchionne totally ignored the need to clean up Fiat’s poor quality reputation, and by exacting such high franchise and setup costs up front, he set up dealers to fail from the outset.

Fiat sales in N.A. peaked in 2014, and been declining by 50% every year since. So far this year, Fiat sales are down 52% from 2019. It is the single worst performing brand on the market.

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am in BC, Canada, at the moment visiting. I hadn’t been here in 7 months. Found out that the local Fiat dealer has since folded. The brand-new building had opened less than two years ago.

When I hear cr*p like “Brand Mentor” and see what’s going on with existing Fiat “studios,” can’t help but think that they focused too much on fluff and not enough on the nuts-and-bolts required to make Fiat a success.

It’s all very sad.
We didn't, and still don't get any fluff....and we still call them dealerships, not Studios. My supplying Dealer got all the Point of Sale stuff to set up an Abarth area in their Fiat premises.... I even had a discussion about loaning my 74 Spider to them to create a great display area for their Spiders..... They never bothered.... To set up the area properly or took up my offer of loaning them my Spider during the Autumn Winter Launch of 2016/17 My new A124 Spider was the first one they sold after getting Abarth franchise. My sister in law then bought her white A124 off them..... I'm afraid it is still easier to sell loads of Fiat and Abarth 500/595s, and now the Turkish made Tipo Range.... But they failed to use the Spiders to create some interest in the showrooms, and quickly stuck the demos "up the back". My local BNW dealer sells loads of 1 Series, 3 Series, X3s etc.... But they also always have something New and Interesting sitting right at the dealership entrance..... This week it was the new 8 Series Gran Coupe.... Bet they've sold another 10 1 Series just by having it there this week.
Anyway...... This all adds to the allure and rarity value of our Spiders!!

·
Registered
2017 Lusso
16 Posts
I'm in NC, and a CarGuru search of a 500 mile radius around me found 30 Abarth. One that is super promising is in Virginia, I attached a picture with this post. As you can see by my avatar,I am partial to the silver ones....;)

Attachments

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
352 Posts
I'm in NC, and a CarGuru search of a 500 mile radius around me found 30 Abarth. One that is super promising is in Virginia, I attached a picture with this post. As you can see by my avatar,I am partial to the silver ones....;)
That looks very nice...sleek in silver. I was about to pull the trigger on another silver car...we already had two...and then I saw the red. For me, a red Italian sports car just works. So now I have a red Hydroflask that fits in the drink cup and red reusable grocery bags from the Toscana in the trunk. Let us know what you end up buying!

·
Registered
398 Posts
On the topic of "brand manager", I don't think I posted this before. This comment thread showed up in the Facebook group "Fiat 124 Spider 2.0 Fan Club 2017+" in late June, 2020. It seemed to be legitimately a factory employee.

Reactions: FLAbarth and AnneNC

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
? Missing something maybe like some text?
Yeah, the LinkedIn link I provided didn't stick. I replaced it with something more generic.
Of course any enterprising soul could do their own search for Marco Spelta.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts