·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
556 Posts
I liked this part best from comments:

Hands down, the Fiat is a driver's car. It's clearly intended for those who like to go fast, but still feel integrally connected to their car. It corners better, brakes better, handles better in mixed driving conditions, and overall it's way more fun than the Miata. Mazda's lone sports car offering feels like a car for newbies. The kind of car you buy if your driving style is pedantic, but you like to be able to zoom past minivans on the expressway.
The Fiat on the other hand feels like it can handily outmaneuver anything in the sub-two liter class.
It brings it on all important fronts, with great acceleration, admirable brakes and a feeling of pre-orgasmic bliss you simply aren't going to find in the Miata. Ironic, considering 65% of the car is a Miata. Funny how that last 35% makes all the difference.

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
Why I love and bought the 124spider.

When you look at an MX5, see pic-1

this comes to mind see pic-2

When you look at a 124spider Abarth see pic-3

This comes to mind see pic-4

Attachments

·
Registered
845 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,236 Posts
Spot on observation

I liked this part best from comments:
Big snip!
Miata. Funny how that last 35% makes all the difference.
I think that 35 percent is pure Italian. Miata guys are stuck with over 125k cars that have weak gears.
We got the spicy meatball with Japanese quality.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
3,052 Posts
What do you have against Christopher Lee???
I just took a picture of a Japanese face with that mustache. Look at the MX5, front,
lights reflect the eyes of Japanese and daylight lights reflect the mustache.
I don't even know his name.>:)

I was a distinction look from the MX5 and the 124spider.

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
845 Posts
I just took a picture of a Japanese face with that mustache. Look at the MX5, front,
lights reflect the eyes of Japanese and daylight lights reflect the mustache.
I don't even know his name.>:)

I was a distinction look from the MX5 and the 124spider.
I get what you were doing, and it's brilliant, don't get me wrong. It is more ironic now you tell me you don't know who Christopher Lee was. He was an English actor who often portrayed a Chinese character, kinda like a Japanese car trying to be a British sports car. A Brit playing an Asian, and in the Miata's case an Asian emulating a Brit. You stumbled across something there, and ended up with a very funny comparison. Well done.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Good stuff.

And, it's nice to see that Car & Driver had the sense to pick the best color for their cover ;)

Reactions: hefbadr

·
Registered
587 Posts
http://fcauthority.com/2017/09/alfa-romeo-giulia-quadrifoglio-lightning-lap-vir-video/

Giulia Quadrafoglio did the lap in 2:58.. --> $80k ish
124 spider in 3:16.9 --> $30k ish

Im bought the right car.
18 seconds is a lifetime on a track. Getting that kind of time from a small 4 door sedan is awesome.

They are two different cars though. I wouldn't compare them. Personally, I want them both. I've been looking at the Giulia as of late wondering if I need a new daily driver.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I would much rather pay for a brake job on a 124 rather than a giulia. and I bet with a brake upgrade the fiat would have taken a few seconds off of that lap time, also the 140 compound on the potenzas is a bit soft for track use which would have it heating up quickly and getting a bit greasy. just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
587 Posts
No way a brake upgrade would take a few seconds off that time. That isn't the problem. It is a long fast track.

Besides, my point was I don't understand why the two would be compared. Different cars. Different uses.

·
Vendor
3,653 Posts
I enjoyed the Car and Driver article and video. It's not at all surprising to me that the Fiat clobbered the MX-5 with a lap time nearly 4 seconds faster, Fiat knows what it's doing and has been making affordable sports cars for a really long time.

Regarding the Giulia Q, it's just a lot more car. It's essentially an entry level exotic with 4 doors, and no street 124 is going to keep up with it on any real race track. However, on a tight enough course, especially a tight autocross course, a well set up and well driven 124 could win. Now if we look to the future, it's possible that a highly modded 124 could keep up with a Giulia Q on a real track, but it would need OVER 300 horsepower, and serious brake and suspension upgrades, but it's at least theoretically possible.

All that said, I honestly think the 124 is more fun than the Giulia. It's not all about numbers and lap times, the 124 is really fun to drive, and you don't need to drive it all out to get that enjoyment. That's something that just isn't true about most performance cars on the road today.

Greg

·
Registered
294 Posts
18 seconds is a lifetime on a track. Getting that kind of time from a small 4 door sedan is awesome.

They are two different cars though. I wouldn't compare them. Personally, I want them both. I've been looking at the Giulia as of late wondering if I need a new daily driver.
I totally get this. however, lets put some perspective.

Giulia Quad is 505 hp
124 spider is 164 hp

2:58=178 seconds
3:16= 196 seconds

the mazda mx-5 did it in 3:20 200 seconds.

To ONLY have 10% difference in time vs. a much more powerful car is fantastic. I totally get these cars are in different classes, etc. etc.

But WOW. is all I can say. From my drivers seat, this really puts some added "FUN" perspective into my drive.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Without a doubt the Abarth 124 is more fun to me. I've been in both actually. That and have driven an Alfa 4C extensively back to back.

For the money, this is the most fun you can have. As an added bonus, I'm cost and maintenance are incredibly cheap too. It's no fun to constantly worry about spending money on speed you can not use.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Regarding the money, would you treat the car the same if it was a 60-70k vehicle rather than a 30k? Maintenance costs tend to rise in proportion to the base price, and obviously the repair costs (however, $1400 for a windshield is a bit much!).

·
Registered
143 Posts
I totally get this. however, lets put some perspective.

Giulia Quad is 505 hp
124 spider is 164 hp

2:58=178 seconds
3:16= 196 seconds

the mazda mx-5 did it in 3:20 200 seconds.

To ONLY have 10% difference in time vs. a much more powerful car is fantastic. I totally get these cars are in different classes, etc. etc.

But WOW. is all I can say. From my drivers seat, this really puts some added "FUN" perspective into my drive.
Yabut, for $850 you can get a Phase 1 tune and 197 HP, and an overall better drive. That's what the 124 Abarth is really about :)

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yea, I read a lot of complaints about the engine and stuff, but it seems like when you know how to drive it, you can not only have as much, or more fun, than in a Miata, but also be faster.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts