Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to replace my car battery today. Here’s what’s involved if you want to avoid the high dealer cost, lack of dealer stock, and need to do the job alone.
Battery Cavern.jpg

The only tools needed are a 10mm socket wrench and a battery lifting/carrier tool. Removing the old battery first needs getting the terminals out of the way. The negative terminal is easily tucked under a bit of the metal cowling. The positive terminal needs to be held up out of the way. I did it with a long piece of Velcro strapping. NOTE: Be gentle with the terminals. I understand there is a fragile circuit board attached to one of them that will disable the car if broken. (Ameridan says it is on the negative terminal.)

Next you need to get the battery out from the chasm it’s sunk into. My battery carrier strap that attaches to the posts was useless. When I picked up the battery, it twisted and jammed against the battery box sides. I had to borrow the kind of carrier that has plates that grip the battery sides and allows the battery to be pulled straight up. The auto parts store lent it to me.

For a replacement I tried 3 auto parts stores, two had no battery listed and didn’t want to look into the matter any further. When I got to AutoZone their computer also said they don’t carry a battery for our cars. However, a helpful young man took the time to work with me and we found one that works. They have a “DuraLast” battery part number 121R-DLG that is EXACTLY the same size as our factory battery. It has 640 cold cranking amps. (vs 660). Cost is $169.99 with a 3 year replacement guarantee. The battery also has a built in carry strap, so the special gripper/carrier I needed earlier wasn’t needed for installation.

If you can find the DuraLast battery at another retailer, the part number written on the battery was 35-DLG. Hope this helps someone.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
My main concern, after L and W was height, but I see that it is only 0.017" higher, so great find!! I recall reading that car fires were occurring (can't remember what car though) because people were replacing a battery with one high enough for the hood to short out the terminals, when leaned on.

So a group 35 works out even better than group 51. I'll note your find in my Specs, Julia, and since my battery is 5 years old, I may get it tested with your recommendation in mind, should they advise replacement.

Oh, and by the way, I believe the sensor part is attached to the negative battery cable.

·
Registered
2018 Classica
131 Posts
After replacing the battery, the power windows have to be reset so that they will come up automatically when the soft top is put up. At least that's what happened on my car when the battery was replaced by my local mechanic. It's no big deal if you don't, when you put the top up you just use the window switches to manually to raise the windows. So how do you avoid a trip to the dealership by resetting the electronics so the windows come up automatically?

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
720 Posts
My windows have never come up automatically when raising the top/hood (for those in the UK). They do drop about 1/2 way down when I release the top/hood latch.

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My main concern, after L and W was height, but I see that it is only 0.017" higher, so great find!! I recall reading that car fires were occurring (can't remember what car though) because people were replacing a battery with one high enough for the hood to short out the terminals, when leaned on.

So a group 35 works out even better than group 51. I'll note your find in my Specs, Julia, and since my battery is 5 years old, I may get it tested with your recommendation in mind, should they advise replacement.

Oh, and by the way, I believe the sensor part is attached to the negative battery cable.
Dan, I'm sure you must be right about the circuit sensor on the negative terminal. You know a lot more about these cars than I.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After replacing the battery, the power windows have to be reset so that they will come up automatically when the soft top is put up. At least that's what happened on my car when the battery was replaced by my local mechanic. It's no big deal if you don't, when you put the top up you just use the window switches to manually to raise the windows. So how do you avoid a trip to the dealership by resetting the electronics so the windows come up automatically?
I really do not recall if the windows used to come up automatically. I just now went out to the garage to check. They go down half way when opening the top. They stay wherever they were when raising the top. No biggee for me. I would not want to go to the dealer about this. Avoid dealer at all costs.

Reactions: chrisd37

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I asked that young man at AutoZone about the group 51. He showed me one. It is very skinny.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
My '17 base Classica does not automatically raise the windows either. (Edit, now a moot point.)

How does one reset the auto-down function after disconnecting the battery?

Julia, your new battery, is it maintenance free or can I/you still add water to the cells like the original battery?

Thanks,
Steve.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
The most important window movement (for the convertible top window seals and the glass) is when the window retracts a little when opening the door, and then returns to the fully closed position after the door is closed. I'm not sure if this will work properly, if the windows aren't initialized.

If you use the keep-alive feature via the ODBII port, nothing will need to be reset.

More details: Initializing the Power Windows

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
720 Posts
Dan, what's the "If you use the keep-alive feature via the ODBII port, nothing will need to be reset." TIA for sharing your knowledge.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Dan, what's the "If you use the keep-alive feature via the ODBII port, nothing will need to be reset." TIA for sharing your knowledge.

If you attach a charger (or a small 12 volt battery) to the OBD2 port under your dash, power is applied to all of your electronics while you are exchanging the battery. Don't get this expensive cable though, unless you have a NOCO charger - there are much less expensive alternatives.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Thanks! I wasn't aware of such a method. I've always just attached a jumper battery to the cables before detaching them. Bit of a PITA but less so than reprogramming all the do-dads in my vehicles.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Hi Guys.....I have recorded this bit here "somewhere" in response to a question re "Getting that Battery out" !...
After reading a members problems I decided to take my battery out "just to see", "JESUS" !.....
Disconnect and removing the securing bracket was all good (care for that little copper looking contraption on "N" cable though as it feeds the ECU info so you damage that..Spider sulks and will not go. Lifting the battery though (all 39.4 lbs) with a couple of fingers only (as that is all you can get in there)NOT FUNNY ! My Fingers, and my back struggled as the angle is stupid and getting the wing / fender hook back in place...not too clever either, so...I "Googled" Battery Lifting Tool (I THink) and up come this thing from the "USA"..Nothing in UK. So I ordered one from "Amazon".....It Works ! and was about $20 ish ......straight forward great idea.....I never kept the order details though but at least photo's below will help you identify the tool, Great write up "Julia", Cheer
ron

IMG_0104.JPG IMG_0106.JPG

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Abarth
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So I ordered one from "Amazon".....It Works ! and was about $20 ish ......straight forward great idea.....I never kept the order details though but at least photo's below will help you identify the tool, Great write up "Julia", Cheer
ron

View attachment 83541 View attachment 83542
[/QUOTE]
Yes Ron, that is the exact tool I borrowed from the auto parts store. Worked like a charm.

·
Registered
812 Posts
My car has a replacement Mopar battery that comes with a built-in handle. Previous post here.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
My car has a replacement Mopar battery that comes with a built-in handle. Previous post here.
Yes...Most, if not all UK batteries include a built in handle and NO old fashioned distilled water filler caps, the Exide direct replacement details for anybody currently searching is in thread "124 Spider Basic ownership Rules...some of" "I Think" some kind US member also added a Best Buy US replacement too. Cheers
ron

Reactions: Magoffin

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
So I ordered one from "Amazon".....It Works ! and was about $20 ish ......straight forward great idea.....I never kept the order details though but at least photo's below will help you identify the tool, Great write up "Julia", Cheer
ron

View attachment 83541 View attachment 83542
Yes Ron, that is the exact tool I borrowed from the auto parts store. Worked like a charm.
[/QUOTE]
Hi Julia...Been searching AND I FOUND IT......"Steelman 77060" Side battery Lifter. was about $20.00. Cheers
ron

1 - 20 of 22 Posts