1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,294 Posts
Then they use the Classica instead of the Abarth to do the test. Not Bias

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It says 50-70 in 7.2. Seems an awfully long time, but significantly quicker (seconds!) than the Miata. But you can feel it on the freeways where that sort of getup and go is important.

·
Registered
476 Posts
they list it as only being able to handle one carry on bag which is not correct. they list the size of their test bag and my two personal hard sided cases are one inch long and .5" deeper and .5"wider and i had no issue slipping them both in the trunk/boot and still had room for a small blanket under the bags, soft sided bags to either side and laid two umbrellas along the top of the bags. but he also says the 124 has the same trunk space as the miata but the 124 gained about 2 liters of space somewhere.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
(As Stevie approaches the microphone, he stops to adjust the soap box...)

I quit reading at the "0-to-" graph. In the real world, the everyday world, "one-Missi" of speed slower than the MX5 from zero is meaningless. "One-Mississippi-t" time separation faster than the MX5 to 70 is, maybe, slightly less meaningless, such as where that might be used on the freeway, but really it's still meaningless if you are an experienced real world driver, driving real world roads, practicing defensive, rather than offensive driving skills. Geezus, these aren't race cars, yet these magazines and online reviewers, pandering to their advertiser's marketing budgets, become dismissive over such horribly trivial things, as though I'm going to lose the race... to where (the next stoplight), and against who, (Mazda Miatas, Chevy Silverados, old P.I. Crown Victoria taxi cabs) every time I get into my car?

Come on, it's as though their story-telling leads us to believe that we should be performing at race track levels every time we start the car. Well, if I do that, the car sure isn't going to last its expected service life.

My favorite kinds of reviews of motor vehicles, the ones I find most meaningful, are the ones that don't make any mention of bringing it to a drag strip that uses timing equipment. I've written three reviews of various motorcycles for a local publication in the past year (#3 going to print soon) and when I write, fast means fast, slow means slow, good, great, poor, crap, etc., mean what they mean. People get it.

"This one is the one to get because it's 2/10ths faster down a quarter mile strip while mashing the gas pedal and jamming the gears..." Hot Rod Magazine, sure. The real world, skip it. We need to spare ourselves the superiority/inferiority complexes of this, this... information, and just drive. Drive for the love of driving. Drive and enjoy the world around you, and toss the stopwatch to the side of the road.
And don't look at the speedometer. Drive the Spider, or the Outback, or the Caravan, because you love driving them. Why care about the minutiae? Don't let them suck you in, be your own driver.

I just finished a crappy week of work (can you tell?). And a crappy week of weather that I had to work in. Last evening it had ceased raining, for the moment. Gray and 50 degrees, I dressed for cool conditions, put the top down, unwrapped a Tootsie Pop (Who loves ya, babe?) an meandered the outskirts of the metro area for awhile. The radio was on low, the crisp air was refreshing, and the last thing I cared about was the old Toyota Corola that made it off the line ahead of me. This was my time, to heck with the rest of the world. Ah, good medicine for the soul.

Maybe I'll finish reading that article, there must be something worthwhile in it.

Steve.

·
Banned
425 Posts
(As Stevie approaches the microphone, he stops to adjust the soap box...)

Maybe I'll finish reading that article, there must be something worthwhile in it.

Steve.
Don't bother Steve. All you will learn is Mazda has more money to spend on advertising with Car and Driver than FIAT.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Hey, thanks Stelvio.

Phew, I dodged a bullet.

Steve.

·
Registered
677 Posts
stevet:

Your "rant" was 100% on the mark. Good on you. I love the Kojak reference. I used to race a stock car many years ago, and
people would always ask "How fast does it go?" My answer was always "I don't know." They didn't understand, and I wasn't
about to explain.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts