Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I changed battery a few weeks ago, but yesterday I went to start it and as if battery didn t have enough just but it started.
Took it for a small ride and came back. Today samething, so i stopped the engine and tried again and just clicked and no start.
I noticed this white stuff beside front wheel, to me looks like acid spill and where the battery sits also looks humid.
Here are 2 pictures and I wondervif batteryvis cracked.
I did charge battery when new and now i am charging it.
What are your thought. Tia

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
2017 Abarth Rosso, Manual, GFB Diverter, Top Speed Axle back exhaust. Took possession Dec16
93 Posts
Is it a sealed battery of which you cannot check water level?

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I removed the battery and it leaked, I brought to costco refunded me but none in stock and I have to go to another costco where they have it in stock.

·
Registered
898 Posts
That sucks! Any damage to your Spider from the acid? I would be completely rinsing and then rinsing again and then rinsing one more time everything below and immediately surrounding the battery mount area. I would do the first two rinses with a baking soda solution to neutralize any remaining acid or acid residue left on the vehicle.

·
Registered
710 Posts
The one reason they put it in plastic tray from the factory...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There was acid in the tray, i did flush it with water and dried thectray, i had to drill 2 holes get thevfluid out and wioep it. today when i do an oil change i will rinse emwith the hose

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one reason they put it in plastic tray from the factory...
Sylvain its the white stuff on the asphalt and the car starting problem made me get worried.
Maybe not pushing the clutch far enough, maybe it was not the battery when I changed it then when I looked at the battery, i noticed it was wet, so I removed the battery and voila the battery leaked from the bottom.
Today doing the oil change, washed the airfilter and I'll suck the old oil and put fresh one.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Sylvain its the white stuff on the asphalt and the car starting problem made me get worried.
Maybe not pushing the clutch far enough, maybe it was not the battery when I changed it then when I looked at the battery, i noticed it was wet, so I removed the battery and voila the battery leaked from the bottom.
Today doing the oil change, washed the airfilter and I'll suck the old oil and put fresh one.
I don't know what is killing a battery like that. Heat? I would be worried if your replacement from Costco dies like this again.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,305 Posts
I haven’t had any battery issues yet. But I’ve had a half-dozen instances when I pressed the Start button and the starter did a weird sound, as if it was “slipping.” Half of those times the car started right up after the “slipping” sound; the other half I had to release the button and try again. The car started right up on the second attempt. Not sure if this has anything to do with what you experienced.

The problem has self-corrected every time. It’s been a couple months since it did it last, so I am not too concerned for the time being.

For reference, my 2018 Spider is 40 months old; has 14,900 miles, has been garaged since day one.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what is killing a battery like that. Heat? I would be worried if your replacement from Costco dies like this again.
Sylvain, I would be worried too, so the other battery, once Installed I charged with a battery minder, cause before disconnecting it was not charging. This time I installed it and that is it, and that is all. LOL will see. Did an Oil change with the EOMTOOL sucking pump, I put 3.5 liter, checked the oil level and all was good. I ll put a post to see how may liter people put.
Bonne Fete de ST-Jean.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts