Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I'm looking for a car jack and I'm new to this. I know I need a low profile one but don't know how much clearance is need the the 124 Spider (Abarth).

This one seems adequate (4" clearance). Would it be OK?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-aluminum-steel-garage-jack-3-ton-0091036p.0091036.html

FEATURES

MotoMaster Aluminum & Steel Garage Jack uses a dual pump hydraulic lifting system to lift the vehicle with fewer strokes
Lightweight aluminum frame and side handles for quick and easy handling
Padded saddle to prevent vehicle scratching
Steel lift arm for strength and durability
Garage jack has a 4 to 18-1/4" lift range, allowing you to still be able to position it under most low profile vehicles
Universal joint allows you to release or secure the lift arm with the twist of the handle
Suitable for low-profile, compact, and mid-size vehicles; SUVS and minivans; and light trucks

Registered
harbor freight sells an aluminum 1.5 ton jack which works with all my cars, my Porsche 987s is lower than my 124. the prices are quite reasonable to boot. if you are looking for a scissors jack, my advice would be simply search for one compatable with a mazda miata

Registered
4" clearance is plenty for the sides and rear. This is also OK to get under the front, but the back part of the jack may have trouble clearing the front lip, so you can't reach the front crossmember - non-lowered cars may be OK, however. Use a 2-3 inch ramp on the front wheels to allow the jack to clear the front lip to lift on the front crossmember.

Registered
I bought 2 scissor jacks, one from Moss Motors for the NC Miata and one off of Amazon. I carry the Moss Motor one in the passenger side compartment and the other stays in the garage. Used both today to jack up one side at a time to rotate the tires. Be careful though if buying from Moss. Jack does not come with a crank handle ....got that off of Ebay.

Registered
I was on Harbor Freight earlier ordering a new jack and stands. Rather than stressing (and paying extra) for a low profile jack, I paid $30 for a set of ramps as well. Of course, now I'm stressing about the ramp angle and if the front of the car will clear it...<facepalm>

Registered
Discussion Starter #7

Registered
I purchased one to work for both the 124 and for my Jeep.

Delco model 34122 works great on both, if juuuuuuuuust at the limit of what can fit under the front lip.

Registered
Wolf take a ride to the states, Walmat has this low profile 2 ton jack for $44.xx. much cheaper than Can. tire, if ever goes on special, maybe 149.00 way too much expensive.

I have actually 3 of these Murano jack, works well on my spider, especially when I had to install the EDL

go to a scrap yard and maybe you can find some 2000 miata with a jack

Walmar canada same jack for 59.xx

Registered

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Wolf take a ride to the states, Walmat has this low profile 2 ton jack for $44.xx. much cheaper than Can. tire, if ever goes on special, maybe 149.00 way too much expensive.

Walmar canada same jack for 59.xx

Jackman Maine is the closest American town from Quebec City. Around 2 hours trip and I'm 98% convinced that there's no Walmart in this very small border town. And Burlington is way to far to be $$$ viable.

I didn't think about Walmart but I'll check at my local store. Thanks Frank!

Registered

Registered

Registered
Anybody using a plastic ramp to drive up on for an oil change instead lifting the car?
I think the issue with that is that the drain plug is not at the rear of the sump so unless the car is level, it's not going to fully drain. Its an engine that was designed for transverse installations, but is longitudinal in the Spider.

Registered
harbor freight sells an aluminum 1.5 ton jack which works with all my cars, my Porsche 987s is lower than my 124. the prices are quite reasonable to boot. if you are looking for a scissors jack, my advice would be simply search for one comparable with a mazda miata
I looked at H.F, website, this jack is on sale for 59.99, coupon code #75412943. My question: H.F. includes multiple products that look identical when ordering, and are priced the same: Is there a difference in the products. I chose the highest product code thinking it was the current model.

Does anybody know whats-up?

TIA.

Registered
harbor freight sells an aluminum 1.5 ton jack which works with all my cars, my Porsche 987s is lower than my 124. the prices are quite reasonable to boot. if you are looking for a scissors jack, my advice would be simply search for one comparable with a mazda miata
I looked at H.F, website, this jack is on sale for 59.99, coupon code #75412943. My question: H.F. includes multiple products that look identical when ordering, and are priced the same: Is there a difference in the products. I chose the highest product code thinking it was the current model.

TIA.

Registered

TIA.
sometimes they get stuff from different manufacturers, which meet the same specs, sometimes in different colors etc. but match the same description. in essence there may be two different 2 ton aluminum floor jacks, but they will meet the same speck and are interchangeable in use, but perhaps different in parts...

Registered
For the Canadians here, Princess Auto is roughly the same as Harbour Freight. Lots of Chinese stuff at cheap prices... Some of it is quite good. Some of it is junk but PA stands behind it if your aren't happy - will take returns mostly with no questions asked.

Some times same stuff as CT and Walmart, etc but much cheaper because painted a different colour with PA label on it..

From what I remember the jacks are all decent quality.

IIRC there is a PA in Montreal. Don't know if there is anything further east. I use the one in Ottawa some times.

Registered

TIA.
I got this jack from Harbor Freight. It fits, just, under the front of my Abarth. If you were planning to lower the car, you'd need a couple of bits of wood to drive up on to to raise the front enough to get it under.

The rear's less of an issue - more clearance there. I also bought some metal ramps, but those had to go back - the approach angle was too steep for the front of the car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts