Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my wife and I were cruising down I-5 in north California, 1000 miles into a 5000 mile road trip, and with no warning engine shuts off at 70 mph. I notice all power is gone, exhaust is quiet, and look at dash in amazement and notice battery light and a couple of other yellow warning lights are on. I am about to plan my exit strategy to get over to the shoulder and before i can do anything, car fires back up and carries on likes nothing ever happened. No CEL, temp guage normal. nothing! 100% back to normal running. Car had stopped running for only 2 maybe 3 seconds.

Car appears to be running 100% fine and hasn't hiccuped since.

Anyone seen or heard of this happening before?

We hit death valley tomorrow so I will be keeping my fingers crossed.:|

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
check that the wires to the battery are well tight and also the battery (-) to the ground is well tight.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Is the oil low?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Only thoughts that come to mind would be a loose ground (or battery connection) or a momentary freaksih issue in the ECU. If you've disconnected the battery for some reason, perhaps to do an upgrade, maybe the cable isn't tightened. Hopefully your luck will hold!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the suggestions.:)
I did immediately check battery connections and everything was tight. And since i had a dealership oil change just before I left, I checked that too. Oil is at the correct level and spotlessly clean. Haven't done an ecu upgrade yet, but it is on the to-do list. I tend to agree with kpoling above in that it may just have been a freakish ECU issue that caused fuel or spark to stop for a few seconds. Hopefully it won't return.

·
Registered
134 Posts
This is disturbing to me, I hope it doesn't show up any more. I assume you have a MT spider, and your forward motion fired the engine. I have an AT, and I don't think my vehicle in motion will re-fire the engine.

Any more information on what happened to you?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is disturbing to me, I hope it doesn't show up any more. I assume you have a MT spider, and your forward motion fired the engine. I have an AT, and I don't think my vehicle in motion will re-fire the engine.

Any more information on what happened to you?

Yes, MT. Not sure what would happen in an auto, but I hope you never have to find out.

Car died and restarted on its own, hadn't even had an opportunity to put the clutch in to coast to side. No other info. Have put on another 750 miles in the last 2 days. Car running perfectly, no codes, no high temps, oil and electrical connections good.
I was really hoping someone with more fiat experience than me or perhaps one of the tuners would chime in and say "yeah, we have seen it before,........"
But I guess I am the lucky first timer.:confused:

·
Registered
560 Posts
Yes, MT. Not sure what would happen in an auto, but I hope you never have to find out.

Car died and restarted on its own, hadn't even had an opportunity to put the clutch in to coast to side. No other info. Have put on another 750 miles in the last 2 days. Car running perfectly, no codes, no high temps, oil and electrical connections good.
I was really hoping someone with more fiat experience than me or perhaps one of the tuners would chime in and say "yeah, we have seen it before,........"
But I guess I am the lucky first timer.:confused:
I did wonder if somehow you accidentally bumped the start button and if that momentarily shut it down.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did wonder if somehow you accidentally bumped the start button and if that momentarily shut it down.
We are thinking along the same lines because this morning i was thinking the same thing and when i was sitting in the car tried to figure out if it was possible. I don't think I could have bumped it and I know i didn't bump it to turn it back on.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I believe the start button is disabled at a certain speed. Not sure, haven't tried it in this car. Other cars will allow it to function up to 5-10mph, but above that it doesn't do anything.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Shutting down instantaneously is not something that Fiat would program into the car. This has to be an unintended electrical interrupt. I suggest that you look for ground wires that have come loose and lost ground, as well as powered wires that have lost insulation and gone to ground.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts