Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, like most folks on here I got hit with a CEL for the Temp Sensor at about 3200 miles on my 124 Abarth. Took it in to get it diagnosed and they agreed it was the sensor. Apparently they ordered the part on April 27th, but told me the part was on backorder (STILL?!?!).

It's now been 2 weeks of calling the dealer (Fiat of Melbourne FL) and getting absolutely no information about when this part is coming in, and after talking with FIAT USA I am being told the part could take another WEEK AND A HALF to come in. Nobody seems to be able to do anything, and in the meantime I am without my car.

While all of this is happening i'm stuck in a terrible rental, and they won't let me take my car.

Just a heads up here, because apparently they STILL haven't taken care of their parts issues, despite the car being out since August 2016. That, and I definitely needed to vent a bit.

Ugh.

·
Registered
490 Posts
That sucks.
If it's just the sensor why won't they let you take it?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They got in contact with a 'regional tech' who strongly advised I don't take the car.

Apparently If the switch gets stuck in "hot" then the car could enter limp mode (not engage the turbo) to prevent damage as it thinks it is too hot. I pulled the codes myself and they match the codes that others have gotten for the temp sensor, and I know they were allowed to drive with no issues.

Sucks for sure.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I would suggest that you go into the 500 USA forum and message "Fiatcares" about your problem. I have seen them solve similar parts issues in the past for 500 owners.

Reactions: busterbrown77

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
FCA needs a thrashing over this. It's absurd! I hope calling Fiat Cares helps expedite the situation. It's clear nobody bothered to order spares.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
347 Posts
Buster, a temperature sensor is an electrical probe that measures temperature and a thermostat is an actuator that controls the temperature by opening a vane. Although the thermostat senses the temperature, it is not a sensor because it does not measure anything. It just opens or closes according to the deformation of a mechanical device.

I would be interested in learning whether our thermostats have any electrical connectors. Traditional thermostats do not, but some thermostats have an electrical assistance, i.e., the ECU can force the opening of the thermostat based on the readings of a separate sensor. I don't know how common these electrically-assisted thermostats are nowadays, but that's how they have been on BMWs since about 1999. Anyhow, the thermostat on my BMW has been a pain: I've had to change it every few years.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts