Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have a solution when your car will not start after storing it. I tried and tried everything including pouring half a quart oil excessive cranking, finally I was ready to give up after trying 2days but tried one last thing and it worked right away. I took the oil cap off and then cranked the engine and it worked. hope this will help others, give it a try. Take care and be safe.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,464 Posts
There is a procedure to get oil back up into the MA brick after long storage. Yes, first is just letting it turn over a while and circulate, best done with coils unplugged so its not firing. There is a port on the brick that you can get to from the oil cap hole to press down to get more oil in that way also. Quite a few posts on the different BKMs.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I may have a solution when your car will not start after storing it. I tried and tried everything including pouring half a quart oil excessive cranking, finally I was ready to give up after trying 2days but tried one last thing and it worked right away. I took the oil cap off and then cranked the engine and it worked. hope this will help others, give it a try. Take care and be safe.
Ha! This worked for me! Mine has been idle, in the garage, on battery trickle charge. I tried to start it yesterday and got the dreaded whirling around, with no engine start. Checked here and saw your post. Took off the oil cap, and after a short whirl, she started up! Thanks!

·
Registered
987 Posts
Ha! This worked for me! Mine has been idle, in the garage, on battery trickle charge. I tried to start it yesterday and got the dreaded whirling around, with no engine start. Checked here and saw your post. Took off the oil cap, and after a short whirl, she started up! Thanks!
Definitely a dry multiair brick.
When the car sits too long the multiair brick drains to the pan and when you go to start it the intake valves don’t open enough or at all to let air in for combustion.
To reprime the oil system remove the fuel pump fuse and unhook the coil packs. Turn the engine over for 15-20 seconds a couple times.
Then reinstall the fuel pump fuse and hook up the coil packs and it should fire up.
May be rough for a minute but it will settle down and idle correctly after all of the air is out of the system.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ive had my 2019 fiat 124 spider abarth in garage (unheated) storage since mid-November. In the meantime we had a two week cold snap of -40c in January and a -25c cold snap in March. Aside from the cold snaps where my garage ambient temp was - 15c I made sure to start and idle the car every two weeks. I did buy a trickle charger but I never used it. The car starts and runs just fine.

·
Registered
2,911 Posts
Anyone know how cold and for how long it has to be for this to happen?

·
Premium Member
1,433 Posts
Ive had my 2019 fiat 124 spider abarth in garage (unheated) storage since mid-November. In the meantime we had a two week cold snap of -40c in January and a -25c cold snap in March. Aside from the cold snaps where my garage ambient temp was - 15c I made sure to start and idle the car every two weeks. I did buy a trickle charger but I never used it. The car starts and runs just fine.
The process I've used for this (being my third winter with the car), is that once every 4 to 6 weeks... sometimes as long as 2 months..., I go out to my (also unheated) garage and start and run the vehicle for about 15 minutes. It starts every time without flaw. That said, when we're in a period where the temps are stupid low (like what you mentioned), I will wait for a slightly warmer period to start it. And by warmer, I mean something above -20C.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Two weeks ago I went to my storage facility to awake my 124 Abarth. For the first time in 3 years....voila! She awoke with no problem. The solution? I went to fire her up every 3 weeks or so during the long Michigan Winter. I let it run for 30 minutes or so while I read a book. No problems this year as a result. The last 2 years I had to have it towed to the dealer. I am the guy (Jaybo) who discovered through the dealership about the 'possible oil priming port'.......I still really enjoy this car.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts