Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When recently in Japan I purchased one of these engine covers .... I could not resist

Now the matt finish was the only one available at the time - while I wanted the gloss finish with the sticker. No problem just get it clear coated.

However....... my question is - do you apply the sticker than apply the clear coat .....or apply the clear coat and then apply the sticker

Your thoughts - much appreciated

Cheers

BTW - this is the link ....should you feel tempted
http://www.a-trucco.com/before/docs/parts/124aba/124abaeg.htm

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would apply a high temperature clear coat after applying the decal, at least 3 coats
Just make sure that you give it plenty of time to dry properly.
Many thanks .....

Looked in the garage and I have a rattle can of high temp clear coat !! Used on my Brembos on the A5oo

Question - are you saying three light coats and waiting about an hour between coats ?? Which I believe is the recommend method.

Cheers

·
Registered
480 Posts
generally speaking the best results are from using the application process on the can. after all is said and done, the manufacturer knows best how to apply their chemical compounds

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well that did not go well !!! :mad:

Using hi-temp clear coat meant curing in oven......where the CF layer delaminated from the base (which is a modified OEM cover) ....

Got a weekend ahead of me trying to put Humpty Dumpty back together again ....does not look beyond repair, thou its a little warped

·
Registered
549 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE

Just pulled off the existing engine cover and the CF cover simply goes over with a very good fit ......simple gluing job :)

Do not feel like such a fool as I did a few hours ago

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
I removed the FIAT from the engine cover, and stock an Abarth badge. around the badge looks a little rough, but plan to use some type of body putty sanded and spray the cover RED. The hilly billy or ******* way. LOL

·
Registered
3,054 Posts
Cheapish, a bit of work. but i am pleased with the look.
I got the same badge on the oil cover, Only thing I have to painted.

What type of paint did you use.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts