Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I vaguely remember something about having to choose if you wanted to use android auto when initially setting up the carplay mod in the cmu.
I’ve been using iOS and carplay for a while now but may be switching to android.
Has anyone with the mod had any trouble going back and forth between the two platforms?

·
Registered
283 Posts
I use Android Auto and I've tested out Carplay using my friends iPhone, and it worked just fine. It'll just start up whatever you have, either AA for Android, or CP for iPhone.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I can confirm that android auto and CarPlay work interchangeably. Can anyone post a screen shot of what android auto is supposed to look like on our radios? Mine seems like the size or formatting is Off. Like everythimg is compressed downward. I’ll post a pic when mine gets back from the shop. Getting my boost leak fixed.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you! As I suspected, mine isn’t formatted correctly. I have some ideas to try.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Can I still use the old nav SD card, or need to get a new one. tia

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
77 Posts
Ameridan's article is what I used and it was very thorough.

It's just a tad different process if you are stuck with CMU version 59 and have to do the serial hack. What I do is follow the guide to remove all of the necessary interior pieces except for the USB hub bracket. Then you need to remove the Command switches from the console and plug them back in. 3 screws, no problem. Then pull the CMU out of the dash, attach your serial communication adapter, and follow the instructions to install the ID7 tweak. Once that is done, flash the firmware, and once that's done, install the excellent Mazda-to-Fiat patches. Then you can disconnect the CMU from the harnesses, pull out the piece with the USB hub, install the new USB cables, swap the old hub for the new hub and reinstall that piece, disconnect the Command switches from the harness and reinstall it in the console piece, reconnect and reinstall the CMU, and then snap the interior back together.

Sounds like a wicked job but now that I figured out how to make a solid connection with the CMU's serial pins it was really easy when I helped Cruise42 with his AA install.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just got the car back. Boost leak is fixed. Here’s some screenshots of my android auto resolution issue. I tried going to developer mode and forcing it to 480p. No change. Same phone works perfectly with android auto in my Jetta.

touch controls don’t work either. But on the Jetta it does.

everything is very compressed and hard to read.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Developer mode in the Android Auto app only has options for forcing video to 1080, 720, or 480. Nothing on orientation.

Things I tried so far
-Developer mode resolution settings
-Enabling all available permissions from phone
-Disabling any battery saving feature in android
-Reinstall android auto phone app
-Factory default phone
-Different cable
-Uninstalling all AIO tweaks

Right now I'm reinstalling the CMU firmware to try from a fresh install with a completely reset android OS on the phone. Nothing else set up or installed.

Im guessing it still could be the phone causing it, but the same phone works perfectly on other cars, so I'm unsure.

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
77 Posts
Does the touch screen work for anyone else using android auto?
No. The touchscreen doesn't work with our Android Auto implementation as far as I know. Manual controls only. It takes a bit to get used to but it's not so bad.

Have you tried with any other Androids? What version Android does your phone run? Is it a Samsung?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the reply. I have another phone coming tomorrow that I’ll try. Current one is android 9. New one is android 10.

I did try this phone in a friends Chevy and it works there too. No formatting issues.

nope not a Samsung. It’s a Unihertz Atom. Small rugged phone I’m trying out. Always been an Apple user prior to this.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts