Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

241 - 246 of 246 Posts

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
This morning I am installing the Android carplay hardware. Stay tune to answer the questions. Hopefully I won't bust your chops like I did with the software. LOL

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Ok guys, I won't quit my daytime job to install car play on spider, it took me about 5 hrs. I had to be careful taking parts apart and put them back.
Tork video was more detailed. Pass the harness under the metal(CMU) otherwise you'll have a hard time fitting back the CMU.

Ok, installed it,
First I had not installed Android carplay head unit APP on my S10 phone. Then I comleted.
I realised that my USB 1 and 2 are there, but cannot access them WHY!!!!!
the rest works ok on the Infontainment.

I go to apps and activate Car Play, I get the the apps, mind you I am not familiar with this, Google maps, Waze seems to work ok But when I play music, I see the sound bar moving but no volume.
Also I thought I would see all the apps on my phone which I don't

I use the Phone in car play but it seems I cannot the voice recognition not work what ever.

I had the Samsung A5 2017 and it was faster, Now with the S10 it seems to lag when placing a call. This was before the Software update and not any better now.

So why USB1 and Usb2 not working but when I plug the wire for car play it works. Also noticed on the Hub unit the middle slot in the back has no wire connected. Any reason why.

I appreciate your input. tia

Correction, The USB1 and 2 are working, I went back after 0min and I ttought maybe the extension usb wire was faulty, but not It seems the Spider has a slow mind it needs that 15-30 min digestion. I did not revised the other matters.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
Auto Play
how come I get no sound when playing music from cell phone, and the mp are on a micro sd card. I see the bars moving but no sound.

I noticed for the cell phone to work, Mobile data has to be on, but I have that off usually, can someone explain me. tia

·
Registered
2,865 Posts
One major problem I get no sound on:
Play music on phone sd micro card
ON goole map, no voice(even selecte unmute
radio (maybe on the web
although I had MOBILE DATA on.

Google map worked OK, beside volume. But when I gave the address to go, it wanted mobile data on, I put it on and when I got to destination .3GB of data was consumed. on my way back home I voiced HOME and shut the MOBILE DATA OFF, map worked ok, and NO,NO MOBILE DATA was consumed.
CELL PHONE, if I use voice to select a contact it wants MOBILE DATA ON, but I hear no ringinging, If i seletc handset I hear the ringing. but once connected I can hear the person through the car speakers.
Then I quit Auto Play and screen went black, tried everythin and still black.

Question why I get no volume on the above, and why Auto play using my Mobile DATA when I am in EOM infontaiment phone, sound and volume works with Mobile data off.

Are the TELCO subsidising the Android Auto Play to use more mobile date. tia

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to say, I followed the instructions, and it works great! No issues at all. What I learned while doing:
Bring a laptop to the car with you as you need to wipe and load different software are different times.
Use a high grade USB stick with fast transfer times. Cuts the process time in half
Follow the directions exactly. The guides in this forum work really well.
I have been putting this off for months. I wish I had taken the leap sooner.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth 124 Spider AT
7 Posts
I followed the full set of the "software part" of the instructions, and got the new FW installed successfully! Thanks again for an awesome writeup.

BTW I also found a workaround with OS X. If you're on a MacBook as myself, use a free app called "Clean My Drive" to clear the formatted flash drive from "junk" after copying the files. "Junk" are the hidden system MacOS files that prevent the flash drive from being recognized by the CMU.

Also quick question — what's the practical difference between regions of the FW, and can I install e.g. EU over what was originally NA?

My car is originally NA, but I imported it to Ukraine, which is in Europe, so I was wondering if it makes sense getting an EU FW instead of NA if possible. My FM Radio works great on NA, which I heard can be different in different regions.

241 - 246 of 246 Posts