Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

241 - 260 of 269 Posts

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
This morning I am installing the Android carplay hardware. Stay tune to answer the questions. Hopefully I won't bust your chops like I did with the software. LOL

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Ok guys, I won't quit my daytime job to install car play on spider, it took me about 5 hrs. I had to be careful taking parts apart and put them back.
Tork video was more detailed. Pass the harness under the metal(CMU) otherwise you'll have a hard time fitting back the CMU.

Ok, installed it,
First I had not installed Android carplay head unit APP on my S10 phone. Then I comleted.
I realised that my USB 1 and 2 are there, but cannot access them WHY!!!!!
the rest works ok on the Infontainment.

I go to apps and activate Car Play, I get the the apps, mind you I am not familiar with this, Google maps, Waze seems to work ok But when I play music, I see the sound bar moving but no volume.
Also I thought I would see all the apps on my phone which I don't

I use the Phone in car play but it seems I cannot the voice recognition not work what ever.

I had the Samsung A5 2017 and it was faster, Now with the S10 it seems to lag when placing a call. This was before the Software update and not any better now.

So why USB1 and Usb2 not working but when I plug the wire for car play it works. Also noticed on the Hub unit the middle slot in the back has no wire connected. Any reason why.

I appreciate your input. tia

Correction, The USB1 and 2 are working, I went back after 0min and I ttought maybe the extension usb wire was faulty, but not It seems the Spider has a slow mind it needs that 15-30 min digestion. I did not revised the other matters.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
Auto Play
how come I get no sound when playing music from cell phone, and the mp are on a micro sd card. I see the bars moving but no sound.

I noticed for the cell phone to work, Mobile data has to be on, but I have that off usually, can someone explain me. tia

·
Registered
3,013 Posts
One major problem I get no sound on:
Play music on phone sd micro card
ON goole map, no voice(even selecte unmute
radio (maybe on the web
although I had MOBILE DATA on.

Google map worked OK, beside volume. But when I gave the address to go, it wanted mobile data on, I put it on and when I got to destination .3GB of data was consumed. on my way back home I voiced HOME and shut the MOBILE DATA OFF, map worked ok, and NO,NO MOBILE DATA was consumed.
CELL PHONE, if I use voice to select a contact it wants MOBILE DATA ON, but I hear no ringinging, If i seletc handset I hear the ringing. but once connected I can hear the person through the car speakers.
Then I quit Auto Play and screen went black, tried everythin and still black.

Question why I get no volume on the above, and why Auto play using my Mobile DATA when I am in EOM infontaiment phone, sound and volume works with Mobile data off.

Are the TELCO subsidising the Android Auto Play to use more mobile date. tia

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have to say, I followed the instructions, and it works great! No issues at all. What I learned while doing:
Bring a laptop to the car with you as you need to wipe and load different software are different times.
Use a high grade USB stick with fast transfer times. Cuts the process time in half
Follow the directions exactly. The guides in this forum work really well.
I have been putting this off for months. I wish I had taken the leap sooner.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I also just had success with Part 1 firmware upgrade and tweaks for my 2018. Hub and cables arrive this weekend. I've only had the car 1 week and excited to make it a little bit better.

·
Registered
44 Posts
That went very well! Good write-up, no changes to suggest to the original. Big thanks to OP and all who put in the effort to document this. My car is a 2018 originally with version 56, so pretty easy install. I bought the hub and cables from Amazon. It came with plenty of foam tape and zip ties. Now my only problem is the USB-C port on my phone keeps letting the cable fall out, and I need a place to mount my phone. I'm looking at either this cup-holder adapter or the air vent one. Anyone have experience with either one, or recommend another?

Question - now that I'm on v70, can I just use the MZD-AIO installer v2.8.6 to load new tweaks without issue? Things like touchscreen, colors, etc...

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got the tweaks I wanted to work. Deleted the warning prompts, enabled touchscreen while moving, and of course had to match the infotainment theme color to my paint (blue).
Forgot to mention I went ahead and installed my trusty old A119 dashcam and tucked the wiring while I had everything apart. The amazon kit had plenty of extra foam tape for doing this. The power cord goes up the passenger A-pillar and under the visor trim, which I was able to get loose by undoing the torx screws under the visors. The other end pops out from the seam under climate controls. I'm also glad the 2nd USB slot powers off with the car, so my dashcam automatically turns on and off with the car.

And of course, proof Android Auto works :cool:

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
112 Posts
Good morning. Well I worked on the Firmware upgrade last night and most went well, but it's not perfect...have some fixing to do today. The Hardware install will not happen for a few weeks.

I had been running 56.00.530 NA N and previously applied the ID7 Tweak as well as several of Ameridans other tweaks.

Last night, I installed ID7 again, and then followed the guide to install 70.00.100 failsafe and 70.00.100 install. At this point, all seemed to be well. I had a "Fiata", the maps were not recognized and the screen display looked just like it did previously (which I assume is the design). I then used the MazdatoFiatv70AIO by 68Wooley and returned the ABARTH splash screens, etc. Again, all seemed to be working as designed (At this point I assume the screen still looks like the standard interface without Carplay or AndroidAuto).

This is where I think the wheels fell off the bus, I used the previous compiler to apply some of the other tweaks and the CMU boots up, but the selection controls and screen will not accept any input.
TOUCHSCREEN IS ENABLED
REMOVED SAFETY WARNING FROM REVERSE CAMERA
BEGIN INSTALLATION OF SPEEDOMETER
INSTALL DATE_TO_STATUSBAR MOD V2.2
INSTALL PAUSE_ON_MUTE
INSTALL SEMI-TRANSPARENT PARKING SENSOR GRAPHICS
INSTALL LIST_LOOP_MOD
INSTALL MAIN_MENU_LOOP
REMOVE DISCLAIMER
CHANGE ORDER OF AUDIO SOURCE LIST
BIGGER ALBUM ART
BACKGROUND IMAGE CHANGED

My plan for today is to reinstall V70.00.100, I assume it will overwrite all of the tweaks. After I do this, I will again use the MazdatoFiatv70AIO to apply the Fiat/Abarth logos. Last, I plan to use Mazda AIO Tweaks to apply many of the basic tweaks, specifically:
TOUCHSCREEN IS ENABLED
REMOVED SAFETY WARNING FROM REVERSE CAMERA
REMOVE DISCLAIMER

I would like to install other tweaks, but I don't know if they are generic enough to work properly on this install.

Appreciate any words of wisdom, especially if I am about to go down the wrong path.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I think "PAUSE_ON_MUTE" isn't supposed to work with v70. In the latest MZD-AIO compiler, it wouldn't let me select it, so if you're using an older compiler to put that tweak on v70, that might be an issue. It's one of the few tweaks I did not apply after ID7.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
112 Posts
I think "PAUSE_ON_MUTE" isn't supposed to work with v70. In the latest MZD-AIO compiler, it wouldn't let me select it, so if you're using an older compiler to put that tweak on v70, that might be an issue. It's one of the few tweaks I did not apply after ID7.
I used the Mazda AIO Tweaks toolkit to compile the tweaks I wanted AND to REMOVE the Pause on Mute tweak. I had noticed it was not compatible with v70 as well, but just a bit too late. After reloading the tweaks, all is working. Now I wait until I buy the hardware. Until then, I assume it is as designed to not have CarPlay or AndroidAuto display as options on the CMU?

Reactions: maschinenbau

·
Registered
44 Posts
Correct, after the firmware update (and any extra tweaks you added) it will function perfectly fine in the meantime before the hardware update. Glad you got it sorted out.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
112 Posts
I used the Mazda AIO Tweaks toolkit to compile the tweaks I wanted AND to REMOVE the Pause on Mute tweak. I had noticed it was not compatible with v70 as well, but just a bit too late. After reloading the tweaks, all is working. Now I wait until I buy the hardware. Until then, I assume it is as designed to not have CarPlay or AndroidAuto display as options on the CMU?
Good evening all. I completed the Hardware install this evening and unfortunately it didn't go extremely smooth. Good guides, I believe everything is connected correctly, however, I am having an issue when I connect my Samsung Galaxy S9. The head unit detects the phone and says follow the instructions on the phone, the phone connects and Android Auto starts, I can't control AA on the head unit, only on the phone, then after 30 secs, it disconnects. This will repeat. Have I misconfigured something? Is this a known issue with the S9?

TIA

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
112 Posts
Good evening all. I completed the Hardware install this evening and unfortunately it didn't go extremely smooth. Good guides, I believe everything is connected correctly, however, I am having an issue when I connect my Samsung Galaxy S9. The head unit detects the phone and says follow the instructions on the phone, the phone connects and Android Auto starts, I can't control AA on the head unit, only on the phone, then after 30 secs, it disconnects. This will repeat. Have I misconfigured something? Is this a known issue with the S9?

TIA
Tried a different cable and connection stabilized. Problem solved. Next questions:
Is Android Auto not Touchscreen enabled? Does it only function using the selector switch?
Is it possible to change the remaining Mazda logo on the Android Auto screen?

TIA

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
112 Posts
Tried a different cable and connection stabilized. Problem solved. Next questions:
Is Android Auto not Touchscreen enabled? Does it only function using the selector switch?
Is it possible to change the remaining Mazda logo on the Android Auto screen?

TIA
Read through many posts and see that AA is not touch screen enabled by design and no work around at this time. Look forward to that getting solved sooner than later.

I haven't seen anything regarding the Mazda Logo on the AA menu screen. Did I miss that?

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Classica
3 Posts
Any one in Minnesota tried this before. Not sure I would trust myself to do it. Running 59.00.524. Looking for referrals on who might be able to help me out. Thanks for the recommendations.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Read through many posts and see that AA is not touch screen enabled by design and no work around at this time. Look forward to that getting solved sooner than later.

I haven't seen anything regarding the Mazda Logo on the AA menu screen. Did I miss that?
No one has figured out how to tweak the two AA issues you bring up.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider
112 Posts
No one has figured out how to tweak the two AA issues you bring up.
The only other vehicles that I have that support Android Auto are both GMs and I really like their interface. I'd like to figure out a means to apply that to the 124 or find a suitable aftermarket head unit to do the same.

Until then, getting used to navigating with the control wheel.

Do appreciate all the development so far.

241 - 260 of 269 Posts